Hatchback Sport front lip is not built for speed

1. OP
    OP
    CarNutAZ

CarNutAZ Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
    The way you're describing it makes me think possibly there was a bunch of air coming in from a gap in the layered plastics of the undercarriage, and possibly over time it was pulling and weakening the clips all around. It doesn't look like that little OEM lip would generate enough force to break off the car, so that might make more sense. I had never really looked closely at the plastics beneath the car. As you mentioned, it was all very layered because when the front lip came off, everything came with it. In the end, like 3 or 4 large sections of plastic were being dragged by 1 single clip.

The important part to note is that all of these under plastics and lip are layered and clipped together more than I've seen in most other vehicles. So it might benefit everyone from just feeling around under there to make sure everything is still held together nicely, there's no gaps, no play, etc. I was shocked by the amount of damage it caused.

2. OP
    OP
    CarNutAZ

CarNutAZ Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
    Possibly. I've driven faster than I was going when this happened. It is quite possible clips had somehow broke off or became brittle in all this heat, and air was entering from somewhere. Not really sure.

3. garoto

garoto Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R - Championship White, 2006 Honda Civic Si - Fiji Blue Pearl
    You’re supposed to be racing at “the track”, not cruising. So, it won’t be covered by warranty.

4. Gruber

Gruber Senior Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
    #19 Gruber, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    I assume this happened in Mexico and racing tracks there may look foreign, so I don't care.

The car is designed to go over 100 mph so it shouldn't fall apart at such speeds.

The question is: was the bumper cover and the lip with the under car covers ever disassembled to do any mods or repairs? I believe the way these thermoplastic parts are all connected together and attached to the car is not well designed. It might hold as long as it's factory assembled, but if it's put back together again it's compromised. Once one clip goes and a gap is created, it will fly off quite fast.

5. Chupacabra519

Chupacabra519 Senior Member

First Name:
    Ken
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic HB Sport (ABM)
    #20 Chupacabra519, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Yet another "Capt. Morality" over here trying to steer things away from the point of the thread... How about you contribute something useful when it's needed?

I may have [allegedly] opened up my car to 160kph on a vacant country road to see how it felt at those speeds, that's about as safe as it gets short of renting a track to yourself for a day.. If the car wasn't designed with the potential of going that fast in mind, then why design it to hit those top speeds at all? Why not govern every car to the highest speed limit in that country?

6. swah_fk7

swah_fk7 Walking JDM Parts Catalog

First Name:
    Martin
    Car(s):
    2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
    Happened with my car, had to glue some tabs back together near the front bumper grille and new clips all around. 120-130mph cruising and the lip ejected itself on the highway. Been scared to take the car past 80 since the repair.

EDIT: I did notice it happens under heavy acceleration.

defeated thanked this.
  7. n2da2nd

n2da2nd Senior Member

Systems Engineer
    First Name:
    Nam
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
    Your wheels well liner also came off? I have an aftermarket lip on top of the OEM and hasn't encountered any problem so far. Maybe you should bring it to your local dealership and see what they say about that.

Photo_1557183845836.jpg

8. g_lush

g_lush New Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
    Hi,

You and I are similar owners (very anal about keeping that part specifically safe). Last week the splitter fell off just like yours. We were about 10 hours into a road trip and didn’t hit anything, we were going about 70mph, and all of a sudden we just heard something scraping the ground. Did you have the part replaced? How concerned are you that it’s going to fall off again? I love this car but I’m considering selling it because it was $950 to replace the part, and I don’t want that to happen again.

I saw a couple people mention ties, does anyone have a link I can look at?

Thanks

9. xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89 Senior Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Car(s):
    '11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
    I've gone to the dragstrip where I've hit speeds past 110 many times, also track where decent stretches where I've gone 90+ on straightaways and some pulls going 110+ and still holding strong. I'm guessing it's more of a build issue of missing some clips or something.

10. Push

Push New Member

Car(s):
    2017 Hatchback Sport

Just had this happen to me going about 85. How did you go about replacing yours and what were the costs? From what I can tell, most sites are at least $500 to replace the lip. Anyone have any luck?

11. CapnCarl

CapnCarl I'm fly, I'm pilot

First Name:
    Carl
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
    Ok. Insurance fraud is a crime and raises the rates for honest customers. If you have a race car, buy the proper insurance or be honest about how you broke your car.

Or, you can just be a liar. Whatever makes you happy. Some of us value our integrity more than a few hundred dollars worth of car parts that we broke by doing something stupid.

oberstja thanked this.
  12. ulieq

ulieq Senior Member

Car(s):
    Sport Coupe 2019
    No doubnt you bumped a curb parking at some point in your life before this happened.

13. choo

choo Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 240SX's
    The lip clears regular curbs no problem. Some people know how to drive lowered cars, and the Civic at stock ride height is practically an SUV even with the lip and skirts.

Even if you hit it dead on into a 10'' tall bump stop (never seen one) it shouldn't fall off the damn car. If you look at how it's mounted, you'll see its poorly designed like the rest of the front end.

Papayank thanked this.
  14. Papayank

Papayank Senior Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Car(s):
    Honda civic
    Hmmm I nothice6when I'm doing around 190km I do feel like my car is just gonna break in two