Vincentbrown65

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
After throwing my bag in the back this morning while leaving for work, I was greeted with a “Hatch Open” warning. So out the car I went to reopen and close the hatch (we’ve all been there). However, the hatch looked fully closed and was tightly closed. Upon trying to reopen, I can clearly hear the latch click, but the hatch won’t move. Pushing/pulling the hatch up and down while pushing the open button doesn’t do anything. Locking and unlocking the doors while the car is off doesn’t do anything either. When the car is on, the doors won’t lock and I still get the “Hatch Open” warning. Worst of all, I just flash a tune last night and I can’t enjoy the turbo psi gauge as it only stays on for 5 seconds before returning to the god damn “Hatch Open” warning. Any thoughts????

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatch Won’t Open... It’s Stuck! image
Sponsored

OP
OP
Vincentbrown65

Vincentbrown65

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Update: Still stuck, but know I know why... it’s in there good too!:doh:

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatch Won’t Open... It’s Stuck! 680F7710-C93B-438D-80F5-18427CF5CF49

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatch Won’t Open... It’s Stuck! AF046A3C-AC90-4A2F-80E8-40E855DBCACF

PAX CTR

Just another CW CTR
First Name
Pax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '02 EP3, '89 EF7
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damn, that sucks bro.

OP
OP
Vincentbrown65

Vincentbrown65

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Well, I spent 2 hrs trying to get it open and... nothing! The end of the backpack strap is about 1in or more up into the latch. FML... I have no clue what to do at this point.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I'd drop the back seats and get in there with a pair of needle nose and a razor blade and start mangling the webbing. Might take a while but you should be able to free it up. The straps on your bag will be toast though

OP
OP
Vincentbrown65

Vincentbrown65

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Have you tried manually unlatching the hatch? Since that webbing is wedged in there, might be difficult to do since they tell you to use a flathead screw driver, but it's worth a shot :dunno:

8cAZnku.jpg
I opened the plastic piece but could mint see a lever. I’ll check again.
And thanks for the pics... this helps because finding anything on this latch assembly is a PITA. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Vincentbrown65

Vincentbrown65

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'd drop the back seats and get in there with a pair of needle nose and a razor blade and start mangling the webbing. Might take a while but you should be able to free it up. The straps on your bag will be toast though
I didn’t use a razor blade, but I did manage to brake a pair of needle nose pliers trying to get the strap out! A flat head screw driver and vise-grips couldn’t do the job either.

OP
OP
Vincentbrown65

Vincentbrown65

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I wonder if I could get to the screws some how to unbolt the striker plate (see 7 & 23). There is some room between the hatch and striker plate, but I can’t see the bolts. Maybe if I drill through the plastic to get to the bolds, I can unscrew it. Thoughts?

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatch Won’t Open... It’s Stuck! 601D17DD-45A5-409A-8F8F-B084DFB79ED1

Last edited:

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
Light the straps on fire, they should burn before anything else in that area does. Just kidding. Mostly.

Sounds like a pain! :( Good luck.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I didn’t use a razor blade, but I did manage to brake a pair of needle nose pliers trying to get the strap out! A flat head screw driver and vise-grips couldn’t do the job either.
Yikes. I think I'd still try to cut small pieces out bit by bit until it comes free. You might be able to take all the cladding off to access the striker plate but doubt you would be able to remove the plate with the hatch closed. Another option, albeit messy, would be to try to lubricate the strap with some wd40 or silicon spray. I'd mask off as much of the area as possible if going that route though

OP
OP
Vincentbrown65

Vincentbrown65

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
A little update...
So I finally gave up and took it into the stealership. They fixed it in under 10 minutes. I spoke to the technician (who, btw, also owns a Type R... so no worry of hotrodding my car) and I guess this happens frequently. They have a special tool to get it back open. So, if this happens to anyone else, just take it in. It will save you on all the cussing and sore hips from lying in the back of the car for 2 hours to try to get it open, but accomplish nothing. :beer: