Has anyone used the Lamin-X Fog Light overlays?

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://www.lamin-x.com/product-p/h163y.htm
(Product in question)
I'm really needing to do the yellow fog lights to fill the void in my wanna-be race car heart, but I don't want to go at it the wrong way. Has anyone used their products on their car here?
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i have the yellow ones on my ILX and the clear ones on my JDM fogs on the CTR.

the film itself is smaller than the actual fog lens size but if you install it in the middle, it'll cover all the section that is exposed after the trims are installed so there isn't an issue with spots showing.
I have them both on LED fogs though. If your using halogen bulbs, not sure how the heat from halogen bulbs will affect the film in the long run.

ZephyrFlash

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the lamin-x overlays on my coupe and I like them a lot. They've got a great color to them and are pretty thick so it feels like good quality. It can be kind of a pain to install them but a heat gun works wonders.

OP
OP
BrianDevin

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the lamin-x overlays on my coupe and I like them a lot. They've got a great color to them and are pretty thick so it feels like good quality. It can be kind of a pain to install them but a heat gun works wonders.
Would I be able to pull it off without a heat gun? I'm in college, so all I've got is the parking garage with no outlets or anything

ZephyrFlash

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would I be able to pull it off without a heat gun? I'm in college, so all I've got is the parking garage with no outlets or anything
Absolutely, you'll just spend a little more time to get squeegee out all the air bubble. Another tip is to create a soapy solution to spray the fog light before you apply the overlay... this lets you adjust and move it around without the adhesive prematurely sticking.

OP
OP
BrianDevin

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Absolutely, you'll just spend a little more time to get squeegee out all the air bubble. Another tip is to create a soapy solution to spray the fog light before you apply the overlay... this lets you adjust and move it around without the adhesive prematurely sticking.
Thank you. One last question, are you using the halogen bulbs still? If so, has the heat given you any troubles, assuming that your fogs are set to switch on with the main headlamps?

ZephyrFlash

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you. One last question, are you using the halogen bulbs still? If so, has the heat given you any troubles, assuming that your fogs are set to switch on with the main headlamps?
Not anymore I've since swapped to yellow LEDs... When I did have the halogens I was using a different overlay (cheaper quality) and I never had an issue with them overheating.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i just installed it dry. Wipe off foglamp with IPA and then install. No heat gun, no soap. I did remove the foglamp and then applied it instead of applying it when it was still on the car though.
Are we talking about the same film cause the film i got from lamin-x was SUPER easy to install because you are able to lift up and re apply many times in case you don't get it correctly. I literally just did this yesterday on my ILX lol.

OP
OP
BrianDevin

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i just installed it dry. Wipe off foglamp with IPA and then install. No heat gun, no soap. I did remove the foglamp and then applied it instead of applying it when it was still on the car though.
Are we talking about the same film cause the film i got from lamin-x was SUPER easy to install because you are able to lift up and re apply many times in case you don't get it correctly. I literally just did this yesterday on my ILX lol.
Excellent! This seems like it's my best bet for a somewhat protective overlay.

kidcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
when i installed mine all i did was clean the fog and put the center of the film over the center of the light and use a credit card to slowly in a circular motion push the vinyl around the light until you just have a little left then use the credit card to push the rest of the vinyl onto the light and behind the trim

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Thinking of getting the clear ones to protect my new JDM yellow LED fogs. Do these reduce the light output at all?

kidcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not at all, it’s not like tint