Has anyone replaced rear deck speakers w/ free air/IB subwoofers?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic, 2002 Honda CRV
Country flag
I'll be replacing my front door speakers with my Hertz component sets. Not trying to lose any trunk space. Coming from JL 12w7.... So it's a downgrade either way. Would like opinions and if anyone has done it, worth it? I see some Kicker 6.7" free air subs I'm thinking about.
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'll be replacing my front door speakers with my Hertz component sets. Not trying to lose any trunk space. Coming from JL 12w7.... So it's a downgrade either way. Would like opinions and if anyone has done it, worth it? I see some Kicker 6.7" free air subs I'm thinking about.
For the little amount of money you spend it'll be worth it, but since you're coming from a W7 I doubt you'll be satisfied.

I say throw some like hertz coax's in the rear deck and slap a audiofrog GB12 in either a fiberglass custom box or wood custom box mounted as close to the seats as possible.

The audio frog is pretty easy to fit in tight spaces and won't take up a whole lot of space. If you don't wanna do that and wanna do free air infinity has a cool factory replace 8in for about 150.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Guessing dual free air subs won't give the pressure with the SQ huh? Would love to put my w7 in again, but man, the box is big, and needs to be. xD Mainly need subs for SQ, but I do love a little sonic massage from time to time.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Guessing dual free air subs won't give the pressure with the SQ huh? Would love to put my w7 in again, but man, the box is big, and needs to be. xD Mainly need subs for SQ, but I do love a little sonic massage from time to time.
That's why I'm suggesting this https://www.crutchfield.com/p_898GB12D4/Audiofrog-GB12D4.html. The W7 is a SPL sub and to be honest the W6 is plenty of output and identical SQ to a W7. And, in my opinion, this audiofrog is much better than a W6. Cheaper, and also can be in a smaller enclosure due to low enclosure requirements. It's why I'm putting in my touring here in about two weeks. I'm having a custom box built as I don't trust my skills/have the proper tools to make a good box. The box is gonna be ported as well as be mounted to the metal right behind the seats essentially filling up that spot so I don't lose much trunk space. The width/height is what makes up the volume, as the mounting depth for the sub is only about 7 inches. I'll lose the option to fold down the seats without taking the box out, which is why I recommend for you to have a fiberglass box built in the wheel well part of the trunk.

Just suggesting since it seems like you like that good good :p

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I do prefer it... xD 7" mounting depth for w6 quality or better sounds real nice. i was thinking maybe enlarge one of the 6.7" holes to an 8-10" and grab the infinity. i miss 03 audi a4. had an insane amount of trunk space for a little sedan xD

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'd recommend grabbing the touring rear deck cover, cutting an 8in hole in the spot of the deck where the factory sub goes and putting the infinity in there. Also remember the hole isn't always 8in. The subs will list their cutout size.
Sponsored

Last edited: