Has anyone experienced gear grind AFTER deleting CDV?

jsyar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, BMW 328xi, BMW X3
Country flag
I had a gear grind this afternoon after about 1000 miles of grind free driving with the CDV removed. Mine occurred while turning left and accelerating hard. I think the CDV helped, but it's not going to solve the underlying problem, which is the transmission syncros (I suspect).
Sponsored

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a gear grind this afternoon after about 1000 miles of grind free driving with the CDV removed. Mine occurred while turning left and accelerating hard. I think the CDV helped, but it's not going to solve the underlying problem, which is the transmission syncros (I suspect).
I hear that syncro grind noise when shifting at high rpm too fast into 4th. I have to wait almost 1 full second before pulling 4th if I'm up to 5.5k or itl buzz. The wilwood master cylinder fixed the high rpm lockout with my spec 2+ and really made it sweet. CDV delete helped too I think but I have to be easy and slow into 4th.

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
maybe your trans was under filled from factory?
i had the samething i havent had one after i changed my fluid.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I changed to amsoil syncromesh when I did my clutch and my 4th grind happened after that. From slamming 4th with weak little master cylinder paired with spec clutch. New wilwood master is great but still grind if rpm is too high in 4th.

jsyar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, BMW 328xi, BMW X3
Country flag
maybe your trans was under filled from factory?
i had the samething i havent had one after i changed my fluid.
One of the first things I tried was to have the trans fluid changed..................It didn't correct the grind.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
So that latest linked video does an additional step of dramatically increasing rod stroke (vs. just taking up factory freeplay). By increasing the pedal throw by moving the stop further towards the driver, and then increasing the rod length, when the clutch pedal is pushed fully in that extra few mm of rod length would push the rod in the CMC that much more.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cool! 30-second mod to adjust the CMC. I have the 2nd and 4th gear crunches, and I noticed about 1/8th play in the clutch pedal. Adjusting the CMC rod eliminated that, and I was careful to adjust only to when the rod stopped moving; no extra force was applied.

I’m interested in how this might eliminate the crunches, and I’ll report back with any results. The next step is Amsoil.

UPDATE: so, after driving a bit, there was a marginal improvement, but certainly felt better after the Honda MTF drivel warmed up. I find these 2019 MYs to be pretty refined, but Amsoil I’m sure will help the most.

Last edited:

HiSpdTouring

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR #9202
Country flag
I am trying to go through the process of elimination to see if we can narrow the cause down as much as possible. So far, model year doesn't seem to matter as the 2018 guys are also having grinds. I know there aren't very many members who had their cdv deleted, but is there anyone who are experiencing grinds with removed cdv? if noone is experiencing grinds with cdv deleted, maybe this is the root of the cause? Is there also anyone whose grinds have gone away as a result of removing the cdv?
Have you tried changing the tranny oil? I had a similar result. I had my CMC adjusted at the dealer and it solved the 1st to 2nd grind but didn't fix the 3rd to 2nd downshift. I read somewhere that at the factory some trannys weren't filled with the right amount of oil and was way too thin. So I went to the dealer again to change the tranny oil, no additives or different oil. Just what the dealer would change it with. I did this so that if I had to go through warranty to get my tranny replaced that it shows that I am going through the process. Well.. since the changing the oil the car shifts like butter and have not grinded once since then and it's been several months. The shifter now takes a little more effort to shift so I know that there is a lot more fluid to protect the synchros and prevent the grind. Try it!

_lavender_x

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Honda Civic ex-t
Country flag
I hear that syncro grind noise when shifting at high rpm too fast into 4th. I have to wait almost 1 full second before pulling 4th if I'm up to 5.5k or itl buzz. The wilwood master cylinder fixed the high rpm lockout with my spec 2+ and really made it sweet. CDV delete helped too I think but I have to be easy and slow into 4th.
Hey, did you ever fixed the grinding? My 2020 Si has been doing the same thing, it grinds in 4th at high rpms, I have to hold the clutch for a second, shift into 4th & let go for it not to grind, is it the synchros?

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey, did you ever fixed the grinding? My 2020 Si has been doing the same thing, it grinds in 4th at high rpms, I have to hold the clutch for a second, shift into 4th & let go for it not to grind, is it the synchros?
Yes, my 4th gear shift will still grind if I'm too quick at high RPM, or any RPM really. I'm sure it's the synchros taking a second to line up. I just take my time for 4th. I changed to amsoil Synchromesh at like 20k miles and to gm at like 40k miles. The second time I changed it, it still looked new vs the OEM fluid at 20k was dark. I think the gm is better but my 4th gear grind is the same either way.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
I wonder if motor mounts would help

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
CDV delays how long it takes to disengage the clutch. Removing it has no effect on the speed of engaging clutch action - aka shouldn't affect grinds
Sponsored