Has anybody found a clever way to setup your garage door opener?

S2KGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Just wondering what everybody is using for garage door openers. My previous car had the convenient Homelink mirror but now I'm back to using the old clip on remote. Has anybody found a clever way to stash their remote somewhere besides the visor, maybe with some double sided tape or something... or is there a better solution? I just hate having it on the visor so right now I just have it rolling around in the center console.
Sponsored

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Yup, I used an OEM Homelink from a 16-17 Accord coupe EX. Matches the roof console.

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anybody found a clever way to setup your garage door opener? 20180419_164328

Others have used a Gentex rear mirror with Homelink.

OP
OP

S2KGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Yup, I used an OEM Homelink from a 16-17 Accord coupe EX. Matches the roof console.

20180419_164328.jpg

Others have used a Gentex rear mirror with Homelink.
Nice! Does it use the existing wiring connectors, plug and play? Do you happen to have the part number or a link?

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
I wired it using breadboard connectors.

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anybody found a clever way to setup your garage door opener? 20180419_163940

This is the way I wired it just to make it functional. You will need to splice two more wires into the roof console light if you want the buttons to be lit and dim. You can use the OEM pigtail too if you have it.

If you were to buy just the Homelink from Honda, it will cost at least $450. Unless you can find one at a junkyard, which is where I bought it for $60. Most people will wire the Gentex mirror as it is cheaper.

notavr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
i have the new 2019 insight auto dim mirror and home link to test to see if it will work.

NUshek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
Country flag
Put a piece of Velcro on the back of my remote and out it down by my seat controller (velcro sticks to the material around footwell).

No_One

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX
Country flag
Just wondering what everybody is using for garage door openers. My previous car had the convenient Homelink mirror but now I'm back to using the old clip on remote. Has anybody found a clever way to stash their remote somewhere besides the visor, maybe with some double sided tape or something... or is there a better solution? I just hate having it on the visor so right now I just have it rolling around in the center console.
I use a key chain fob for my remote for GDO.
I don't want to put my family at risk of someone getting into the car and opening the garage door. I also don't use a remote number key panel for access.
Additionally, I can use the fob for when I am doing gardening, walking the dog etc without getting into the car.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I used a tiny little blob of detailing clay to stick a 3 channel garage door remote in the footwell, out of view of anyone's sight. It's actually less tiresome to push a switch on a door opener stuck in that area than have to reach up for 3 small buttons above head level. And I think the battery on the garage door opener will probably last the 3 year planned ownership of the car from date of purchase.

Streamfever

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR #15921, crystal white
Country flag
I’m going to use GogoGate 2 so I can just use my iPhone.

Last edited:

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
I’m going to use GogoGate 2 so I can just use my iPhone.

Honestly, that would take too long. I have Liftmaster myQ and that connects reliably and very quickly but still much slower than, and much less convenient than, just pushing a physical button on Homelink.
Sponsored