Has a factory reset fixed anyone's audio issues?

hondamitch51

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring ; 2016 CRV Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi All,

I've been having some problems recently with the audio not working at all on my 2016 Touring. I'll use the car in the morning and all is good. However, during the course of the day when I go to use the car again, the audio will not work [including AM, FM, XM, Pandora, or phone]. I've tried re-booting the audio several times when this happens but no luck and also stopping and re-starting the car.

The few times this has happened and drove straight down to the the dealer to show them, of course, the audio works! I need to take a video of the problem.

I called Honda Technology and asked them if they were aware of any issues like this. They said they were not [which is surprising] but suggested that I try doing a factory reset [not re-boot] on the unit. Of course, that wipes out all of the settings, but if it worked, it would be worth it.

I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and tried the factory reset [not re-boot] and if so, did it help. If so, I'll give it a try!

Thanks!
Sponsored

saminder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
I think there was a firmware update for the audio issue. Did you get the firmware updated from the local honda dealer? Honda has a recall on this.
In the meanwhile when the audio stops press the bluetooth button on the steering couple of times and then press the back button on the steering, the audio will come back.

OP
OP
hondamitch51

hondamitch51

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think there was a firmware update for the audio issue. Did you get the firmware updated from the local honda dealer? Honda has a recall on this.
In the meanwhile when the audio stops press the bluetooth button on the steering couple of times and then press the back button on the steering, the audio will come back.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I did have the audio firmware update done this past spring [I think it was # 16-022]. Everything has been working fine until a few months ago when the audio would just stop working intermittently. I didn't know about the Bluetooth button on the steering wheel trick. Is that the phone button or Siri button? Also, I wasn't aware of a back button the steering.

saminder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I did have the audio firmware update done this past spring [I think it was # 16-022]. Everything has been working fine until a few months ago when the audio would just stop working intermittently. I didn't know about the Bluetooth button on the steering wheel trick. Is that the phone button or Siri button? Also, I wasn't aware of a back button the steering.
The Bluetooth button and back button is on the left side of the steering wheel(touring model, i am not sure about other models). But as you have done the firmware update, then this trick might not work but it is worth giving it a try.
If that does not help, do a factory reset(you will loose your personal settings and stored info).

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had issues the first few months, had to reboot nearly once a week. Had that firmware update and only had to reboot once since (i.e., in about 5 months). Rock solid otherwise, I'm happy with it. No issues since...

OP
OP
hondamitch51

hondamitch51

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine stopped working one day and I did the reset and it has worked since.
Thanks! Did you do the reset or just reboot? After the reset, did it take you a long time to go back in to the system and reset everything [station presets, preferences, etc.]?

OP
OP
hondamitch51

hondamitch51

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
what is this firmware update and how do we do it?
You need to go to your dealer to have it done. They will determine if your car is in need of the update, and if so, will use update it for you there. This updated the software in the audio unit.

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (Black on Black)
You might try to wipe the memory. There is a setting that will clear this along with large files like wallpapers. I was adding jpgs to my wallpaper until the unit started to have glitches. I deleted all wallpapers but had it freezing like yours. After clearing the memory I didn't have any issues. Ps. Forgot to mention that one wallpaper was a civic I saved via the built in browser. The file seemed to keep a web link. It would try to launch the browser with no connection and freeze. Good luck.

OP
OP
hondamitch51

hondamitch51

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You might try to wipe the memory. There is a setting that will clear this along with large files like wallpapers. I was adding jpgs to my wallpaper until the unit started to have glitches. I deleted all wallpapers but had it freezing like yours. After clearing the memory I didn't have any issues. Ps. Forgot to mention that one wallpaper was a civic I saved via the built in browser. The file seemed to keep a web link. It would try to launch the browser with no connection and freeze. Good luck.
Thanks, but how do I wipe the memory? Where is this setting?

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (Black on Black)
Sorry. I don't have my car available at the moment. It is in the same area as setting the wallpaper and changing the OS look. I can look it up later in the night.

OP
OP
hondamitch51

hondamitch51

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry. I don't have my car available at the moment. It is in the same area as setting the wallpaper and changing the OS look. I can look it up later in the night.
Thanks so much!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Thanks so much!
Old post, but I will add this.

Android system have a relatively complicated, self controlled, memory management system. They should remove old, unwanted items from memory , but only when more memory is needed.
The Honda Unit is an OLD OS, and it's memory management is not as good as later Android operating systems.

Bottom line, after a time, when memory gets full, the unit is always looking for "old stuff" to remove, and this takes resources = slow down = stutters etc.

The solution is to occasionally do a HARD BOOT, that requires disconnecting the power from the Radio for a period of time, (Pulling the Radio Fuse). You will loose some of your customized setting (ie FM Radio stations etc), but typically you may only need to do this every few months, or maybe as long as 6 months or more.

When you take you car into the Dealer, with a Radio issue, this is the 1st thing they "should" do, to eliminate this as being a cause of any issues, before trying to dive into the radio setting, or swap out the radio.

You guess it .. they say it's the Radio, get another one, pull yours and put in the new one that has not had power on it for some time, so it's memory is allocated (Hard reset), and everything works again. Actually, if they had put YOUR radio back in, it would probably act the same as the New one !!! :doh:

Ref: Highly technical, but full explanation of Android Memory Management.
GREAT BEDTIME READING !!! :confused1:
https://developer.android.com/topic/performance/memory-overview
Sponsored

Reactions: mjh