Handsfreelink and Bluetooth Audio: Do they require a cell signal to work together?

1. TomMangan2019lx

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic LX Sedan, 2006 Element AWD
    We have a new 2019 Civic LX. While driving in the mountains in areas with low to nonexistent cell signal, the Bluetooth audio cut out. I switched over to USB and the music came back on.

But this left me wondering about the connection between Handsfreelink and Bluetooth. In my feeble brain, it seems like the Bluetooth should keep transmitting music stored on my phone even if there is no cell signal reception. But I wondered if perhaps the loss of a cell signal takes Handsfreelink down - and that takes Bluetooth down with it.

I've looked all over the internet for an answer to this question with no luck.

My smartphone is an iPhone 7 running iOS 13.2.2. I've read that iPhone software updates tend to case all sorts of mischief in people's in-car connectivity. Mine just loaded an update last week, and I suspect that might've been a troublemaker.

Any guidance would be welcome.

2. nothingclever

nothingclever Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic Ex with sensing
    It could be the iphone update that is causing some problem. But bluetooth and cell signal are independent of each other. To test and confirm that, turn your phone on airplane mode. Then only turn on bluetooth. Your car should sync/link with the bluetooth on your phone only.

3. OP
    OP
    TomMangan2019lx

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic LX Sedan, 2006 Element AWD
    Thanks.. I did this and it performed just as you said here. Pretty sure my iOS update was the culprit. Everything's been doing as expected since I went back in and checked all my settings. I think the issue was that I had not completed the update sequence - I went into iTunes and finished the setup for Apple Music (I turned mine off because I don't have any purchased songs and didn't need it).