Handling attention (good and bad)

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
So this is the first car I've owned that's turned any heads. I'm a little curious about how others handle the attention it brings?

Good: Do you acknowledge it when somebody waves and points? just play it cool? Or do you give a little rev of the engine and show off?

Bad: (I seem to attract assholes in pick-up trucks, lol) What do you say when people yell out stuff like "ricer" etc.? Or when they start driving aggressively around you? I try to just ignore it, but its tempting to engage them.

The Law: I've also been stopped multiple times by police for what turns out to be nothing than their suspicions that I'm up to no good, or its stolen or something. I guess I have to drive it very cautiously?
Sponsored

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
The good: i wave back or give a thumbs up if they're running a nice car as well. I'll initiate if it's something neat like an NSX. I dont bother revving because my exhaust is stock and out of my principles.

Bad: Just ignore. Never really had anyone yell anything negative. Just revving or flybys.

The Law: Only encounter I had was actually this past weekend. Was leaving my car and about to cross the street to my gf waiting in her car when a Sheriff literally just blocked my path with his car. Rolled his window down and complimented me on my license plate (a play on a pop culture reference) and asked me about the car, what kind of engine it had, was it hard to find, looked fun etc. Overall pretty pleasant. My gf and I had a laugh afterwards.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had people gave thumb ups on the highway, that was kinda odd. Haven't noticed anything negative overtly to myself. Most just kind stares. I had a M4 guy turned his head as he drove by an intersection in the cross traffic direction.

I haven't noticed any law enforcement attention, but I drive usually 2 over on the highway and not really aggressive anywhere so I've never really had issues with police in any cars...

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
One of my major concerns about this car was the attention. I don't like it in general.

However, the positive attention is kind of nice. I get smiles and thumbs up. I like giving them back. I had a red civic honk at me on the interstate - followed me for a bit and I could hear them screaming and saw them waving. Put a smile on my face, because I know what it feels like to finally see a car on the street that you've only see in magazines. I waved back and that was it.

Also had some frowny faces - an old ass white collar weekend warrior on a Harley gave me a full on look of disgust as he slowly passed my car on the interstate. I just ignored him.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
Good: I wave back if it's another car enthusiast or hottie

Bad: Simply ignore

Law: 1 year+ owner in RR and have yet to be stopped for no reason, or at all.

Eagle_f90

Good: I wave or give a thumbs up back to them depending on the situation and usally have a smile on my face as I like it when people reconize the car.

Bad: I ignore them, they can do there dumb shit and feel cool about them self. I bought this car for me not for others.

Law: No bad experiences but back when I first moved to New Hampshire I was a night owe and would go for runs at night but keept getting stoped for "being suspicious" after the 5th time I when to the local station and filed a hersament complaint. If your getting pull over because of "we think your up to no good" or they think you stole the car with no real propbible cause they are braking the law and hersassing you.

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
With my fun car, I will be going from an Ariel Atom to the Type R.
I just hope I get far less attention in the Type R, than I got in the Atom.
With the Atom I just was friendly, and ignored all the idiots.

Honda Civic 10th gen Handling attention (good and bad) 052 [1280x768].JPG

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Regardless of the scenarios you mention, you can't go wrong with this reaction (okay, maybe sometimes . . . . or quite often).

Honda Civic 10th gen Handling attention (good and bad) Screenshot

In the greater Providence, RI area, mostly I get the following reactions (when I get one at all which is rare):

1. (People with a WRX/STI, or a Honda, especially an Si): an enthusiastic thumbs up.

2. (People who are not into cars at all & especially kids): Loses his or her mind, and then "Holy crap, what kind of car is it??????" Me: "Oh, just a Honda." Them: "Seriously?"

3. (People who are ambivalent about the CTR, and people who hate it): Say nothing but shows no animosity.

4. The only person who wanted to race me in 8 months is a younger dude in an 25 years-old Integra.

Oswego, huh? You will surely be the only owner of a CTR up there! Props to the North Country!

Last edited:

PowerOfDreams2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 CRX Si, 1994 Civic EX Sedan, 2016 HRV EX-L, 1998 Civic Hatch DX, 2017 Civic Type R #593
Country flag
Good: People always asking "did you buy it like that", "what is it", "that's an awesome civic", or "wow, I've never seen one before"

People around here have no idea what this car is. At the inspection shop, the guy asked me "what's so special about it?" Some kids think its a Focus, others a Subaru...People around here are very "automotive racist" if that is even a real thing. If its not a Mustang, Charger, or anything American, its a "stupid rice burner, piece of sh!t". Sometimes I think I live in redneck hell.

Bad: A lot of people love to ride my tail, or rev for no reason. I just try to ignore it.

OP
OP
FifStreet

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Oswego, huh? You will surely be the only owner of a CTR up there! Props to the North Country!
Probably, but I do commute to Syracuse every day, so I imagine somebody would have one or seen one. There's 4 Honda dealers in the area that have all had them in stock... unless they are all being bought by people out of the area?

ChrisB

PRL & Hondata Top Fan
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
The good: I usually initiate a wave or a thumbs up to nicely modified cars, Subarus, other Civics that have been modded.

The bad: Better to just let the aggressive drivers go. I get a lot of attention from V8s of all cars...it's like they have to prove they're faster in a straight line.

The racers: I don't race on the streets, not worth it to me. With that being said, I give anyone trying to egg me on a happy thumbs up or wave off. I had one guy line up next to me for 2 miles on the highway trying to get me to run him, even doing the 3 honk start, I just kept giving him a laugh and mouthing NO! Eventaully I had to brake and get behind him to get my point across.

The heat: I haven't been pulled over yet, knock on wood. I don't hooligan around too much and if I do I know where I'm doing it. As long as you're not driving like an idiot they should leave you alone for the most part.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
The Good: get lots of thumbs up and "how're you liking the car" and "cool car" - I don't mind the attention.

The Bad: Non-Honda folks seem to hate. Just yesterday a Subaru owner (who was driving his wife's hatchback sport civic mind you) took the time out to tell me (A) he was driving his wife's car (B) he owns a "Subie" and (C) he would never pay $40K for a FWD car. All while vaping in my general direction at a stop light.

Too bad this FWD beats your AWD "Subie" in all relevant categories. End rant.

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
The Good: get lots of thumbs up and "how're you liking the car" and "cool car" - I don't mind the attention.

The Bad: Non-Honda folks seem to hate. Just yesterday a Subaru owner (who was driving his wife's hatchback sport civic mind you) took the time out to tell me (A) he was driving his wife's car (B) he owns a "Subie" and (C) he would never pay $40K for a FWD car. All while vaping in my general direction at a stop light.

Remember, envy is a form of flattery.:thumbsup:

Eagle_f90

I would have been like (A) It's nice that your wife lets you driver her car, but I drive my own (B) just because you driver your wife's subie does not mean it's yours (c) [i got my CTR at MSRP] Good thing I did not pay that much but if that FWD did cost that much and still whops your 42k comparably equipped AWD system I would be up for buying the better FWD car.
Sponsored