First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Cruze, 2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1st @ 3000-3500 let out smooth and about half the time it's smooth. idk how to tame it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
1st @ 3000-3500 let out smooth and about the time it's smooth idk how to tame it
I find that pulling the clutch pedal out halfway, letting it drag the engine rpms down faster, then pushing the pedal back in slightly and letting it out as it approaches the right RPM can help a lot. Like catching an egg without breaking it, or receiving a hard pass on a hockey stick...

You'll get used to it with more seat time and find a way to make it smoother. It just sucks that there isn’t much feel in the pedal in this car and it will always be a little inconsistent.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I find that pulling the clutch pedal out halfway, letting it drag the engine rpms down faster, then pushing the pedal back in slightly and letting it out as it approaches the right RPM can help a lot. Like catching an egg without breaking it, or receiving a hard pass on a hockey stick...

You'll get used to it with more seat time and find a way to make it smoother. It just sucks that there isn’t much feel in the pedal in this car and it will always be a little inconsistent.
It's not the best idea to slip the clutch to reduce the engine RPM, causes unneeded wear to the clutch. Honestly, just hold in the clutch pedal until the RPM's are right and smoothly engage the clutch. It's all about timing. As you're learning, you'll probably slip the clutch here and there, but once you get the timing down, there is no need to slip the clutch.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
It's not the best idea to slip the clutch to reduce the engine RPM, causes unneeded wear to the clutch. Honestly, just hold in the clutch pedal until the RPM's are right and smoothly engage the clutch. It's all about timing. As you're learning, you'll probably slip the clutch here and there, but once you get the timing down, there is no need to slip the clutch.
You’re gonna get rear ended one day waiting almost 3 seconds for the rpms to drop 1500.

The clutch is there to help you achieve smooth shifts. As long as you aren't abusing it and burning it up, it’ll last plenty long.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
You will get used to it, you just have to learn to "feel" the car. I think it has a lot to do with how the cars power-band and the way it's delivered. Also next transmission service, change out the OEM fluid for Amsoil Synchromesh. That helped smooth things out, at least for me

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi A3 Quattro, 2020 Volkswagen Tiguan
Country flag
Half sounds about right.

Eryan36

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si sedan
Country flag
Put in the Perrin rear motor mount inserts, will make shifts much better.

trapbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Acuity bushings help alot

Last edited:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Are you yanking it into 2nd? I don't have this problem but I don't shift like I'm trying to win a race.

OP
OP
Crakzor

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Cruze, 2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you yanking it into 2nd? I don't have this problem but I don't shift like I'm trying to win a race.
no it's more of i can feel it engage unlike going to 3rd of 4th i feel nothing

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
no it's more of i can feel it engage unlike going to 3rd of 4th i feel nothing
Which by definition means your RPMs aren't where they need to be for that given speed in that given gear. Wait for the RPMs to drop down or tune out the rev hang. I'll reiterate that I don't recommend using the clutch to physically slow the motor down by slipping it (causing unneeded wear and tear on your clutch) and you won't end up rear ended because of it. Even if it were 3 seconds (which it isn't), you're not going to get rear ended for idling for 3 seconds when making a shift from first to second. Heck, even if it is a full second, you're still not getting rear ended.

Edit: work on your timing to get into gear. If you feel the car shift forward before shifting backward, then you're RPMs are too high when you released the clutch; if you feel the car shift backward before shifting forward, then your RPMs are too low when you released the clutch.

Edit 2: keep in mind that when you use the clutch to lower your RPMs it technically produces an engine braking action on the car vs a coasting (less resistance than engine braking).
Sponsored

Last edited: