Guys I'm so excited

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
My 2018 Type R was sadly totaled a week ago today. It was a Polished Metal Metallic that met its fate at the hands of a Honda Pilot. I was stopped to turn left onto a side street from a main road, and the driver just didn't stop. Plowed into me at 40-50mph. Luckily I just suffered a concussion and whiplash (although my hip is kinda messed up now, gotta get that checked out) and I was otherwise unscathed. This car took the impact really, really well and the seats did a seriously good job of keeping me in control of the vehicle. I kind of blacked out but according to a witness I controlled a 360 spin and didn't stall :cool:

This morning I got the news that it was officially totaled and insurance offered nearly $38,000 for it! I started calling around to dealers with some assistance from a relative that used to sell cars. After getting the run around from a bunch of dealers (one wanting as much as $9,000 over sticker) I was able to secure one for $500 under sticker and put the deposit in today!

I won't post the dealership until the sale is final but they were extremely sympathetic and wanted to get me into a new one ASAP. And the best news is that my payment is going to be even less than it was before!
Sponsored

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
My 2018 Type R was sadly totaled a week ago today. It was a Polished Metal Metallic that met its fate at the hands of a Honda Pilot. I was stopped to turn left onto a side street from a main road, and the driver just didn't stop. Plowed into me at 40-50mph. Luckily I just suffered a concussion and whiplash (although my hip is kinda messed up now, gotta get that checked out) and I was otherwise unscathed. This car took the impact really, really well and the seats did a seriously good job of keeping me in control of the vehicle. I kind of blacked out but according to a witness I controlled a 360 spin and didn't stall :cool:

This morning I got the news that it was officially totaled and insurance offered nearly $38,000 for it! I started calling around to dealers with some assistance from a relative that used to sell cars. After getting the run around from a bunch of dealers (one wanting as much as $9,000 over sticker) I was able to secure one for $500 under sticker and put the deposit in today!

I won't post the dealership until the sale is final but they were extremely sympathetic and wanted to get me into a new one ASAP. And the best news is that my payment is going to be even less than it was before!
How come the insurance gave you over msrp? How many miles did it have on it?

OP
OP

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
it only had 5,000 miles on it (short commute). Considering that dealers around here are apparently still getting markup (one dealer told me they just sold one yesterday for $45,000) and with how strong the used market is, it seemed like a very fair offer. That payout amount also takes taxes/fees into account.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
it only had 5,000 miles on it (short commute). Considering that dealers around here are apparently still getting markup (one dealer told me they just sold one yesterday for $45,000) and with how strong the used market is, it seemed like a very fair offer. That payout amount also takes taxes/fees into account.
Oh definitely no doubt about it being fair when compared to what the dealerships are marking them up to. I'm just really surprised the dealership would consider anything other than book value.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Crazy.... I am glad you are ok.... I hope everyone is ok for that matter

I hope you were not at fault, but none the less it still sucks it happened at all.

I would say anything above MSRP being offered is great and worth it. so the 38k also includes taxes on top of that? or no?

Do you have any pictures for reference so we can see how well it protected you?

OP
OP

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Crazy.... I am glad you are ok.... I hope everyone is ok for that matter

I hope you were not at fault, but none the less it still sucks it happened at all.

I would say anything above MSRP being offered is great and worth it. so the 38k also includes taxes on top of that? or no?

Do you have any pictures for reference so we can see how well it protected you?
Yeah I wasn't at fault. I got rear ended. Everyone was ok. The driver of the Pilot claimed she lost her brakes but who knows what actually happened.

If I understood correctly, the 38k includes the taxes/fees that I get back

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I wasn't at fault. I got rear ended. Everyone was ok. The driver of the Pilot claimed she lost her brakes but who knows what actually happened.

If I understood correctly, the 38k includes the taxes/fees that I get back

Got ya.

SO they basically paid you MSRP plus taxes etc. Makes sense.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Glad you are ok. Get the hip checked out. You don't want to have to deal with it on your own 20 years from now. Pics would be appreciated but if you don't have them it's ok and understandable. Post up your new Type R when you get it. BTW you'll like the 2019 it has a radio volume knob!:rolleyes1:

OP
OP

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Glad you are ok. Get the hip checked out. You don't want to have to deal with it on your own 20 years from now. Pics would be appreciated but if you don't have them it's ok and understandable. Post up your new Type R when you get it. BTW you'll like the 2019 it has a radio volume knob!:rolleyes1:
thanks! And yes, pic attached

Honda Civic 10th gen Guys I'm so excited IMG_20190808_175708

Morning Mahogany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type-R
Country flag
Oh definitely no doubt about it being fair when compared to what the dealerships are marking them up to. I'm just really surprised the dealership would consider anything other than book value.

Most Insurance companies try to pay the average selling price, aka "market value" for the assets they cover. MSRP is just that, the manufacturer's " suggested" price.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thanks! And yes, pic attached

IMG_20190808_175708.png

HOLY COW! You got Smashed! I am SO GLAD everyone is ok... wow... just wow.....

Odd question... how much would the insurance company sell that to you for? I ask because... it may be worth parting out.... the front end is 100% in tact... can probably sell the full engine for 7k and the other components for an easy 3-9k I'd wager you can easily resell parts (seats etc) and actually MAKE money.... Let's say... the Insurance cost to buy is.... 7-10k. I bet you can make 10-17k back.

Edit: You can then scrap the rest and probably make 750-1500

OP
OP

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
HOLY COW! You got Smashed! I am SO GLAD everyone is ok... wow... just wow.....

Odd question... how much would the insurance company sell that to you for? I ask because... it may be worth parting out.... the front end is 100% in tact... can probably sell the full engine for 7k and the other components for an easy 3-9k I'd wager you can easily resell parts (seats etc) and actually MAKE money.... Let's say... the Insurance cost to buy is.... 7-10k. I bet you can make 10-17k back.

Edit: You can then scrap the rest and probably make 750-1500
Honestly I didn't even ask. I'm sure they're gonna get a lot for it when they auction it.

I do know that the estimate to fix it was at least $24,000 lol

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
DAY-AM! That was a shot! No wonder things went dark for you on impact. "Brakes failed" my arse. More likely texting or face booking or whatever people do on their phones when they should be paying attention to their driving. Good thing cross traffic didn't get you as well after she booted you. You are fortunate...

OP
OP

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
DAY-AM! That was a shot! No wonder things went dark for you on impact. "Brakes failed" my arse. More likely texting or face booking or whatever people do on their phones when they should be paying attention to their driving. Good thing cross traffic didn't get you as well after she booted you. You are fortunate...
My guess is that she was on her phone, looked up, panicked, and hit the gas instead of the brake. I saw her in the rearview right before she hit me and it looked like she was still speeding up.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
The driver of the Pilot claimed she lost her brakes but who knows what actually happened.
I agree with another poster......TEXTING most likely. It's the DUI of the 21st century.

that was a very nasty hit on the rear end. Very glad you are (mostly) ok after a pop like that.....wow. Sounds like a very happy ending for you getting a new ride which is great!

Hey, and now you can get that prized volume knob that so many folks are excited about :)
Sponsored