Gurgling noise from exhaust at idle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016
Hi everyone, I've been hearing this gurgling noise come from the exhaust on my 2016 EX-T sedan only while idling, and it doesn't always happen. I've noticed that it tends to happen when I've recently driven it in snow / while it was snowing but I could be wrong about that. I've noticed the sound off and on for about 2 weeks now. Also, I'm from southern Ontario and the temperatures here right now are around -10 C (14 F) to +5 C (41F). I posted a video below of the noise from outside the car, but you can hear it from inside too as a gurgling noise. As you can see in the video, it seems to be coming from the right exhaust.

Do any of you have this issue as well or know what could be wrong?

Sponsored

subtlefocus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone, I've been hearing this gurgling noise come from the exhaust on my 2016 EX-T sedan only while idling, and it doesn't always happen. I've noticed that it tends to happen when I've recently driven it in snow / while it was snowing but I could be wrong about that. I've noticed the sound off and on for about 2 weeks now. Also, I'm from southern Ontario and the temperatures here right now are around -10 C (14 F) to +5 C (41F). I posted a video below of the noise from outside the car, but you can hear it from inside too as a gurgling noise. As you can see in the video, it seems to be coming from the right exhaust.

Be careful when trying this if the exhaust is hot but try to push down on the tip gently and see if It goes away... I had a similar issue from ice build up in that area.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016
@bluegreencheese
Low Kms I assume? Mine did this until 5000kms. Drive it hard once its warmed up and it might go away that way too.
So I tried pushing up the exhaust but it's still happening, it's 7000 km which is quite a bit more than 5k.. I'll try driving it hard, I never go above 4 bars on the turbo and that's only merging on the highway. It's an awful sound though, brand new car smh. The rest of the time 2 bars max. Just curious, where is your turbo gauge usually at while driving?

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
So I tried pushing up the exhaust but it's still happening, it's 7000 km which is quite a bit more than 5k.. I'll try driving it hard, I never go above 4 bars on the turbo and that's only merging on the highway. It's an awful sound though, brand new car smh. The rest of the time 2 bars max. Just curious, where is your turbo gauge usually at while driving?
Mat it in L for a good 10 seconds on the highway when it's safe.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Mat it in L for a good 10 seconds on the highway when it's safe.
Id say depends were u live and what type of cold weather you get.. In ct its a pretty humid cold.. Frost on the vehicle just about every morning.. And once the sun comes down lots of condesation on windows.. This is all in the exhaust also

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer the owner of a crappy 2016 Honda Civic EXT. First and last Honda for me. Never again.
Country flag

Glad to have found someone with same exhaust sound!!!
Here is my video
My car has 2000km and its been doing it since I got it.

Last edited:

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer the owner of a crappy 2016 Honda Civic EXT. First and last Honda for me. Never again.
Country flag
Definitely more frequent when humid outside
Always when the car has warmed up, never when I start it and the engine is cold
Its also not a case of ice bulding up
It did it this fall when the temperature was way above freezing point
99,9% of the time its the right exhaust
But the left one did it once I remember
Pushing down the exhaust doesnt do anything
Putting your hand over the exhaust tip mutes the sound though

Id say it sounds like its spitting or something
Like some water is in there
Thats just how I would describe the sound

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016
Glad to have found someone with same exhaust sound!!!
Here is my video
My car has 2000km and its been doing it since I got it.

I've found that this only happens when I leave it outside for the night, it's cold and wet (humid) outside and my gas tank is less than half full. When I keep it inside for the night it doesn't happen, and if my tank is topped up it doesn't happen as well. I've read that in cold humid places if your tank has a lot of empty space, the water can condense inside and basically over a night it adds up. Either way, I can't keep my car inside all the time but keeping the tank topped up had solved this for me.

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've found that this only happens when I leave it outside for the night, it's cold and wet (humid) outside and my gas tank is less than half full. When I keep it inside for the night it doesn't happen, and if my tank is topped up it doesn't happen as well. I've read that in cold humid places if your tank has a lot of empty space, the water can condense inside and basically over a night it adds up. Either way, I can't keep my car inside all the time but keeping the tank topped up had solved this for me.
Interesting...
Ill give it a shot who knows
I still think theres an issue here
Definitely a faulty part somewhere
Did you bring up the issue with your dealer?
Where did you find that information?

Last edited:

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also...
If the problem is the gas tank
Why only one exhaust is making that sound?
Sponsored