sh123321

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 2016
Country flag
Hey guys, I have a 2016 ex-t civic and whenever I accelerate there is a grinding sound that sounds like it is coming from the passenger wheel well. The grinding sound has been there for about 2 years since I got the car back in 2016. Been to the dealership a few times and they can never replicate the issue. Just wondering if anyone has come across it. thanks,

Sponsored

uokrol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic WOP Ex-T, 2014 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
Country flag
Sounds more like a vibration once you hit a certain rpm?

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Does it also happen when you rev in Neutral or Park?

OP
OP

sh123321

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 2016
Country flag
Sounds more like a vibration once you hit a certain rpm?
yea its like a grinding/groaning sound that happens during acceleration from a dead stop, the weird thing is that it doesn't happen all the time

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I downloaded the video and boosted the volume a bit. That, to my ear, sounds like a rattle rather then a grind. My first guess would be that the metal skid plate underneath is loose or is missing a bolt or fastener. You could also look for a wire harness or cable that's vibrating against the chassis in the engine bay in that area.

OP
OP

sh123321

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 2016
Country flag
I downloaded the video and boosted the volume a bit. That, to my ear, sounds like a rattle rather then a grind. My first guess would be that the metal skid plate underneath is loose or is missing a bolt or fastener. You could also look for a wire harness or cable that's vibrating against the chassis in the engine bay in that area.
Nice, ill give it a look, thanks!

hkhalid46

First Name
Hanan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic X 1.8
Country flag
Was the issue resolved?
Mine does the same noise but only when I accelerate between 1-1.5k rpm and then it goes away.

Aliaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight 2012
Country flag
Any update? My honda Insight has the exact same issue, making a grinding noise when I accelerate and it dissapears above 30km/h.

Here's a clip:

Anyone got an idea what is wrong?

JS040591

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic Ex sedan
Country flag
@Aliaz mine does this too 2016 Honda civic ex posted a video on here of course no one responded too, still haven’t found the solution no one seems to know. Mine is louder however. I attached video for your reference let me know if mine is similar to what you are hearing.

Aliaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight 2012
Country flag
@Aliaz mine does this too 2016 Honda civic ex posted a video on here of course no one responded too, still haven’t found the solution no one seems to know. Mine is louder however. I attached video for your reference let me know if mine is similar to what you are hearing.

Yes it sound simmilar, I figured it could be 2 things:

1. Serpentine belt or one of the pulleys it drives needs replacement.
2. A shield underneath the car wich is loose and grinds at a certain RPM

I haven't fixed it yet will soon go to a garage to change the serpentine belt and take a look at a loose shield underneath

JS040591

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Aliaz i just left shop it’s the valves for me. Unreal 120,000 miles and constant routine oil changes and babying this car and this is what happens, idc what anyone says but I’ve had a lot of other cars I. My life my 2002 Jeep liberty is more quiet then this, nothing but excuses from Honda whenever I say something bad about them, but this car has been nothing short of a headache since I’ve gotten it and I’ll never buy another one. JUNK.

JS040591

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Aliaz nvm want the valves mine still does it no one can find the problem so I’m over it, I hope you get yours fixed.
Sponsored