GReddy Supreme SP- HG (tri-tip) Exhaust Review for Civic Type-R FK8

turboR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #18775 / 2002 NB Miata (track car)
Country flag
I feel like this exhaust deserves its own review post so here it is. I just sold it after daily driving with it for 1 month and put a little less than 1k miles on it before I parted with it. Please note I ran this exhaust only with stock downpipe. Ill start with my initial impressions that I posted in another thread:

GReddy Supreme SP- HG (tri tip) Installed Today....Initial Impressions

Just had the GReddy Supreme SP- HG (tri tip) exhaust installed today. Everything else is stock besides K&N drop in filter. The exhaust is not broken in yet so I don't want to give a full review, but I do have some initial impressions.

The fitment and finish are top notch. GReddy has always made an outstanding quality products and this exhaust is no exception.

The sound.....well when my car was pulled around to me when it was finished I absolutely loved the sound. Then I started driving it home. I have to be honest...for the first 30 miles I was regretting it. There is a lot of drone in the cabin. This is coming from someone who has had exhausts on all platforms of cars for over 10 years, from a fully built 04 Cobra to a daily driven Evo X with straight pipes and no cats (neither car bothered me daily). This exhaust is extremely bass heavy and does not really growl up top at higher RPMS as I wished it had.

After the first 30 or so miles and by the time I got home (about 60-70 miles total) the exhaust started to change a bit already, so I am feeling a little better about it. The drone is not as bad as when I first started driving it. Now how much better it gets remains to be seen. I was surprised that me of all people would be complaining about drone...I love loud exhausts. But there is a big difference between a loud exhaust and drone. This is the kind of drone that resonates in the cabin and the lower RPMs, so all freeway driving, the least desirable kind. My keychain was resting on the center console and was rattling from the cabin resonance when I was first driving it to give you all an idea.

I know others on here have commented on this issue, but me being me and loving loud exhausts I choose to ignore it and really wanted a JDM exhaust that kept the tri tip look...its so unique to the car. Currently GReddy is the only one I found that met that criteria that I liked. Im sure other JDM companies will come out with a tri tip design.

Others have also commented about loosing some power down low....and I have to say I unfortunately do agree. The car feels like it doesn't pickup as fast as it did down low. Up top I am not really sure if I gained anything, too hard to tell yet with just the drive home. I have no idea why this would happen. The only thing that comes to mind is that the car is tuned so well from the factory that even changing the cat back throws it out of wack just a little bit and therefore doe not take advantage of the aftermarket exhaust. The CTR is by FAR the best factory tuned turbo car that I have ever driven.

Updated Review after 1 month....decided to sell it!

Well what can I say....everything in my initial review write up is true. The drone did not get any better after the first week or so and it drove me crazy. I even installed Dynamat Extreme in the entire rear of the car (Ill probably make a post about it with installed pics later). The Dynamat did help with the drone and vibrations quite a bit, I'd say maybe 15-20% quieter at most...but it was not enough to keep me from being annoyed on a daily basis. Im still glad I put the Dynamat in though, I can actually hear the stock subwoofer attempt to do something now haha and the overall road noise has gone down drastically. I didn't mind adding a few lbs, its my DD as I have another car for track duty.

Some have commented that there are some slight burbles with the GReddy every now and then, and yes I did hear them sometimes, but they were so muted by the overall low tone that the mufflers put out that they were not really pronounced enough to make them enjoyable to me. Perhaps with a catless DP they would come alive...then again so would the drone lol. Another thing I wanted to mention is that due it putting out such a low tone, no turbo noise can be heard coming through the exhaust as it can with some exhaust that I've heard. Again maybe a catless DP would change that and it might not matter to some, just wanted to mention it.

As for the power loss down low...well I was not sure if it was some kind of Jedi mind trick from it being in my head about reading about it prior to the GReddy install, but as soon as I drove the car with my new HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Exhaust that I swapped to I can say for certain that in my opinion that the car DID loose some power down low. I don't know how to describe it other than it felt like added turbo lag. With my new HKS the car takes off MUCH quicker at lower RMSs...feels even quite a bit peppier than it was with the OEM exhaust. I'll also probably write a review at some point of the HKS Hi-Power Spec-L once I spend some more time with it and break it in since any info on it at all was very hard to come by on here.

So due to all of this, I sold it and could not be happier. Swapped to the HKS Hi-Power Spec-L as mentioned above, ZERO drone with the HKS. It's a shame really because the exhaust is really beautiful and is a top notch quality product. I am sure some people absolutely love it, everyone has different tastes and goals with their builds as they should. I just wanted to provide my experience for members on here to help them make an educated decision when researching what exhaust to get. Sometimes you just don't know until you buy it and install it for yourself as videos never can capture the sound as accurately as hearing it in person, especially since most videos are not recorded with professional microphones...and even then there are so many environmental factors that go into it that dictate how the mic picks it up. I hope this helps some of you out!
Sponsored

wassen

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
200sx.kicks-ass.net
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2017, Volvo V70
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for a very honest and interesting review of the Greddy SP and comparance with HKS Spec-L. Not often you read this honest and straight forward reviews! :thumbsup:

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
indeed, thanks for taking the time to provide not only initial impressions, but also after some break-in. I have been through this with my 4 and 2 wheel vehicles. Sometimes it takes an exhaust or two to figure out what sounds best on the car and best to you. sound clips on the internet can only tell you so much...

frostylfe

Former CTR Owner
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
I've had mine on for 4-5 months now and it does drone a little bit which gets annoying when you are on a long drive or trying to have a conversation.

stellarrock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Great writeup! When you have time, please post sound clips of the HKS.

rhatty24

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R #12800
Country flag
I feel like this exhaust deserves its own review post so here it is. I just sold it after daily driving with it for 1 month and put a little less than 1k miles on it before I parted with it. Please note I ran this exhaust only with stock downpipe. Ill start with my initial impressions that I posted in another thread:

GReddy Supreme SP- HG (tri tip) Installed Today....Initial Impressions

Just had the GReddy Supreme SP- HG (tri tip) exhaust installed today. Everything else is stock besides K&N drop in filter. The exhaust is not broken in yet so I don't want to give a full review, but I do have some initial impressions.

The fitment and finish are top notch. GReddy has always made an outstanding quality products and this exhaust is no exception.

The sound.....well when my car was pulled around to me when it was finished I absolutely loved the sound. Then I started driving it home. I have to be honest...for the first 30 miles I was regretting it. There is a lot of drone in the cabin. This is coming from someone who has had exhausts on all platforms of cars for over 10 years, from a fully built 04 Cobra to a daily driven Evo X with straight pipes and no cats (neither car bothered me daily). This exhaust is extremely bass heavy and does not really growl up top at higher RPMS as I wished it had.

After the first 30 or so miles and by the time I got home (about 60-70 miles total) the exhaust started to change a bit already, so I am feeling a little better about it. The drone is not as bad as when I first started driving it. Now how much better it gets remains to be seen. I was surprised that me of all people would be complaining about drone...I love loud exhausts. But there is a big difference between a loud exhaust and drone. This is the kind of drone that resonates in the cabin and the lower RPMs, so all freeway driving, the least desirable kind. My keychain was resting on the center console and was rattling from the cabin resonance when I was first driving it to give you all an idea.

I know others on here have commented on this issue, but me being me and loving loud exhausts I choose to ignore it and really wanted a JDM exhaust that kept the tri tip look...its so unique to the car. Currently GReddy is the only one I found that met that criteria that I liked. Im sure other JDM companies will come out with a tri tip design.

Others have also commented about loosing some power down low....and I have to say I unfortunately do agree. The car feels like it doesn't pickup as fast as it did down low. Up top I am not really sure if I gained anything, too hard to tell yet with just the drive home. I have no idea why this would happen. The only thing that comes to mind is that the car is tuned so well from the factory that even changing the cat back throws it out of wack just a little bit and therefore doe not take advantage of the aftermarket exhaust. The CTR is by FAR the best factory tuned turbo car that I have ever driven.

Updated Review after 1 month....decided to sell it!

Well what can I say....everything in my initial review write up is true. The drone did not get any better after the first week or so and it drove me crazy. I even installed Dynamat Extreme in the entire rear of the car (Ill probably make a post about it with installed pics later). The Dynamat did help with the drone and vibrations quite a bit, I'd say maybe 15-20% quieter at most...but it was not enough to keep me from being annoyed on a daily basis. Im still glad I put the Dynamat in though, I can actually hear the stock subwoofer attempt to do something now haha and the overall road noise has gone down drastically. I didn't mind adding a few lbs, its my DD as I have another car for track duty.

Some have commented that there are some slight burbles with the GReddy every now and then, and yes I did hear them sometimes, but they were so muted by the overall low tone that the mufflers put out that they were not really pronounced enough to make them enjoyable to me. Perhaps with a catless DP they would come alive...then again so would the drone lol. Another thing I wanted to mention is that due it putting out such a low tone, no turbo noise can be heard coming through the exhaust as it can with some exhaust that I've heard. Again maybe a catless DP would change that and it might not matter to some, just wanted to mention it.

As for the power loss down low...well I was not sure if it was some kind of Jedi mind trick from it being in my head about reading about it prior to the GReddy install, but as soon as I drove the car with my new HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Exhaust that I swapped to I can say for certain that in my opinion that the car DID loose some power down low. I don't know how to describe it other than it felt like added turbo lag. With my new HKS the car takes off MUCH quicker at lower RMSs...feels even quite a bit peppier than it was with the OEM exhaust. I'll also probably write a review at some point of the HKS Hi-Power Spec-L once I spend some more time with it and break it in since any info on it at all was very hard to come by on here.

So due to all of this, I sold it and could not be happier. Swapped to the HKS Hi-Power Spec-L as mentioned above, ZERO drone with the HKS. It's a shame really because the exhaust is really beautiful and is a top notch quality product. I am sure some people absolutely love it, everyone has different tastes and goals with their builds as they should. I just wanted to provide my experience for members on here to help them make an educated decision when researching what exhaust to get. Sometimes you just don't know until you buy it and install it for yourself as videos never can capture the sound as accurately as hearing it in person, especially since most videos are not recorded with professional microphones...and even then there are so many environmental factors that go into it that dictate how the mic picks it up. I hope this helps some of you out!
Great review, i agree with you that the drone is really noticeable. I have also had cars like you including a full Catless terminator and catless long tube header 11 mustang, and they haven't been close to the level of drone i get from this setup. Did the new exhaust increase the turbo noise from the exhaust over the greddy ?

OP
OP
turboR

turboR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #18775 / 2002 NB Miata (track car)
Country flag
Great review, i agree with you that the drone is really noticeable. I have also had cars like you including a full Catless terminator and catless long tube header 11 mustang, and they haven't been close to the level of drone i get from this setup. Did the new exhaust increase the turbo noise from the exhaust over the greddy ?
Thanks, and yes it did. It’s not extremely pronounced but it’s definitely there. If anything I feel like I can hear the engines true note now without it being masked by drone.

KeepItLow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Thanks for the honest review..

I'm like you and wanted a Japanese exhaust system that retains 3 tip design as it fills in the space better, but it seems most of them are twin tip designs.

I understand the factory 3 tips has being engineered to be of benefit, where I would think aftermarket exhaust makers see no benefit of having 3 tips in their exhaust design other than looks. I could be wrong but I'm under the impression that pretty much any exhaust will amplify the low rpm humming/drone around 2500-3500rpm on the stock system, hence why I'm still on stock exhaust for now until more options are out..

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Great review and I agree pretty much with everything you said. It is such a shame because the exhaust has great fit and finish, and sounds good too. But the drone is just too damn much, so I sold it less than two months later. I really wanted to retain the 3 tips so I ordered a Remus. Here’s hoping it’s my last exhaust for this car lol.

raytrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey Pearl CTR
Country flag
You made the right choice switching to HKS. I have the HKS Legamax Premium exhaust and it's no drone and sounds super smooth and deep and mature.

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan, 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
@turboR Great write-up! We will be exploring the front-pipe back exhaust for the CTR soon. Are there any other words of advice you would like to share? Like the exhaust we developed for the Hatchback sport and the SI, our goal is to design an exhaust would a good amount of volume, but with minimal drone. We will be targeting specific high-drone RPMs then cancelling them out with tuned length resonators.

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
@turboR Great write-up! We will be exploring the front-pipe back exhaust for the CTR soon. Are there any other words of advice you would like to share? Like the exhaust we developed for the Hatchback sport and the SI, our goal is to design an exhaust would a good amount of volume, but with minimal drone. We will be targeting specific high-drone RPMs then cancelling them out with tuned length resonators.
Not to go off topic but please consider those would have already invested in catless/catted downpipes and front pipes. The exhaust you guys have made for the Si looks great.
Most companies seemed like they design the exhausts around the stock down & front pipe.
The OP did a great job of going into detail of what most owners that I know want to avoid: Obnoxious sound/drone. HKS exhausts sound great but I wish they did a third tip even if it’s just for cosmetics

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan, 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Not to go off topic but please consider those would have already invested in catless/catted downpipes and front pipes. The exhaust you guys have made for the Si looks great.
Most companies seemed like they design the exhausts around the stock down & front pipe.
The OP did a great job of going into detail of what most owners that I know want to avoid: Obnoxious sound/drone. HKS exhausts sound great but I wish they did a third tip even if it’s just for cosmetics
Great feedback thank you. We will be considering the affects of a performance downpipe/front-pipe in the development of this exhaust. When developing the HBS we didn't bring the downpipe/front-pipe into the mix until late into the development of the exhaust. The exhaust note change was drastic and we had to make some changes to bring it all back together.

forrestbb

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RR CTR, Civic SI-2008 sedan
Country flag
Great feedback thank you. We will be considering the affects of a performance downpipe/front-pipe in the development of this exhaust. When developing the HBS we didn't bring the downpipe/front-pipe into the mix until late into the development of the exhaust. The exhaust note change was drastic and we had to make some changes to bring it all back together.
Thanks everyone on their input.
I'm still researching on which exhaust to mod to.

How does remus vs Invidia and HKS compare to each other?
Mind you I too want;
deep tone
no drone
not raspy nor like a truck.

Mind you I live in CA so I have keep things "exempt".

Your advice is all appreciated.
Regards,
Forrest

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Thanks everyone on their input.
I'm still researching on which exhaust to mod to.

How does remus vs Invidia and HKS compare to each other?
Mind you I too want;
deep tone
no drone
not raspy nor like a truck.

Mind you I live in CA so I have keep things "exempt".

Your advice is all appreciated.
Regards,
Forrest
I'd say the HKS fits all those requirements. The Remus is on the raspy side, but doesn't drone. Invidia is deep, but drones. HKS is both deep and doesn't drone. Honestly if the HKS came in a three-tip, it would've been on my must buy list.
Sponsored