Gravel in brakes

1. OP
    OP
    Jake Speed

Jake Speed Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Civic Type R, 2017 CR-V AWD Touring
    I love this car, but I currently have it in for the third time to deal with gravel in the brakes. :( I sure wish Brembo or Honda would address this...

2. fatherpain

fatherpain Senior Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
    2018 CTR - CW, 1995 Honda Accord
    Ouch that sucks. Haven’t had the issue since spraying the brakes real good with a pressure washer every 1-2 weeks...

Grimace is making some pretty cool front brake rock guards. There is a thread about it. I’m picking up a set, just in case

3. bouford

bouford Senior Member

First Name:
    Felipe
    Car(s):
    03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
  4. Volksparts

Volksparts Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Car(s):
    19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma
    I had this issue on and off for the first couple weeks of ownership and it seems to always be in the front . After the last time of bending back the shields with my fingers a little I haven't had the issue in the past 4 months. But man, does it feel painful to my ears when it occurs.

5. EnjoyDriving

EnjoyDriving Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 CW FK8
    how did you "bend" the shields? Are we able to do it with the wheels on or off? And how far did you bend it?

Jake Speed thanked this.
  6. san44

san44 Member

Car(s):
    2017 Si Coupe
    Yeah it is, my dealer removed a pebble for me. It’s not the normal Brembo brake squeal.

Jake Speed thanked this.
  7. Gansan

Gansan Senior Member

First Name:
    Glen
    Car(s):
    1999 NSX, 1998 Integra Type R, 2018 Civic Type R, 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
    #22 Gansan, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    I had to come here and commiserate. In my case the rear left (I think) has gravel in it that changes position and will randomly screech while I'm driving or it goes silent for the rest of the trip. When it first happened there was construction in front of my house and they left fine gravel bits all over the street. I got the rocks out by flexing the dust shield back and forth. However this most recent rock I haven't been able to get out. It hides somewhere and only screeches when it's most embarrassing, like when I'm driving in the parking structure at work. I drive by screeching past my coworkers walking to their cars.

Update: I was wrong!! I decided to take things apart and clean out any rocks and replace the pads, since I could see they were getting thin. The upshot is it was the wear indicator and not a rock. Whew!

Jake Speed thanked this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Jake Speed

Jake Speed Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Civic Type R, 2017 CR-V AWD Touring
    Just for the record, I took it in the other day for the 4th time to have gravel removed. Initially, the dealership put it on a lift, did an initial inspection, and couldn’t find it, speculating that perhaps it fell out in the process. I’ve noticed that the problem is intermittent, but backing up and turning was a pretty consistent way to trigger the sound. They put It back together, tried that, and heard it. They found it between the rotor and caliper. Charged me $38.

More than the money, I’m not enjoying the inconvenience of having to take it in so often. The service advisor said they have a few CTR owners who’ve come in with the same problem. I’m not setup or inclined to try to fix it myself, so I really hope Honda/Brembo figure out a solution. I appreciate people chiming in here; maybe it can serve as a reference for the scope of the problem.

32BB1F31-9056-447C-9575-151AD2C25E11.jpeg

9. CivilciviC

CivilciviC Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    I highly doubt Honda will do anything. It’s been an issue since 2017. :(

Brake shield is a Honda part, not a Brembo part. Brembo couldn’t do anything about it even if they wanted to.

10. Mcclaughry95

Mcclaughry95 500hp is the goal.

Mechanic
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Car(s):
    18 Civic Si
    Just take the shield off it's obviously not doing its job anyway.

11. fatherpain

fatherpain Senior Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
  12. Acordova70239

Acordova70239 Member

First Name:
    Alexis
    Car(s):
    Civic Type R

I had this problem like crazy for the first month or two of owning the car. It sounds like the car is going to break.. I took it to the dealer they cleaned out the brakes for free and then two days later same thing. I ah ent had the issue after a while it just went away

13. fatherpain

fatherpain Senior Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
    I purchased an EZ Carlift to specifically address this issue so I could remove the wheels and access the brake shield, myself, instead of having to take to the dealer.

Ironically, have not had the issue since getting a 2.2 GPM pressure washer and spraying the brake pads and calipers thoroughly at each car wash.

14. Simmons-Racing

First Name:
    Eric
    Car(s):
    2019 Type R
    It happens to me all the time