Grabbing the door handle unlocks doors. Can I repaint / wrap them?

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
So everyone here knows that grabbing the door handle on the driver side unlocks the door. If I need to repaint it or wrap it, will that feature still work?

I had the car cleaned the other day and when it was done, noticed some discoloration / a square area on the handle that was darker had a different texture from the rest of the paint on the handle and car.
Sponsored

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
you dont actually have to touch it. just inserting your hand inbetween unlocks it. I do this when I get gas to unlock the fuel door after paying

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's actually the back of the door handle that has the sensor. If you look the back of the door handles are black and a slightly different plastic. As long as you don't cover/wrap/paint the back of the handle it shouldn't interfere with the unlocking.

solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
I thought it unlocked because the car detected the key fob in your pocket, I don’t think there’s any sensor on the door handle.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought it unlocked because the car detected the key fob in your pocket, I don’t think there’s any sensor on the door handle.
The door doesn't unlock until you touch the door. You can walk up to the car, the doors (at least on mine and my brother in laws civics) don't unlock until we physically put our hands on the doors, either via the button on the driver side handle, or the sensor on the back of the handle. The proximity key just makes the function work.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's actually the back of the door handle that has the sensor....As long as you don't cover/wrap/paint the back of the handle it shouldn't interfere with the unlocking.
This is correct, wrapped my car twice, and we don't wrap the back of the two front door handles for this reason.

OP
OP

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
Anyone know if that outer part of the handle is a simple cover / piece that's removable?

I might just buy a prepainted replacement.
Sponsored