Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Modern Steel Metallic
Country flag
I've noticed that when in Navigation mode with any selected destination, my Google Maps no longer translates to the turn-by-turn instrument screen. I tried rebooting the head unit and also my phone, but the situation did not resolve. I even did a full factory reset and selected yes to the option of enabling turn-by-turn. Still nothing. The phone is an LG V30 and this same phone used to work. A variable: the Bluetooth radio was recently replaced due to Bluetooth connectivity issues with phone calls (last month) but I'm not sure if that is the reason - unless they forgot to connect a wire somewhere.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Leef

Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Same issue with a different phone, so I suspect this is at the level of the head unit.

OP
OP
Leef

Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does anyone know how the turn-by-turn on the instrument display gets its information? I figure it is either directly from Android Auto in the phone in parallel with the main head unit display or it's from the head unit display itself. If the latter, it's possibly via a wire that may never have been connected. I used to use turn-by-turn a lot because it told me at a glance where to turn and when. It does not feel as safe averting my eyes to study the map in the center screen. I feel like I lost a safety feature here and would love to get it back, but suspect I may need to figure this out on my own.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Up till last week everything worked fine for me with turn by turn on thr gauge cluster.

Then Google Maps started not working with it and if I go to the gauge cluster page for turn by turn it tells me it's waiting on my phone.

So I did a few things. I reset Google maps (uninstalled updates and reinstalled them - going to try it with the app Un-updated), I factory reset my car stereo and also tested waze.

Waze works! But I hate how it interrupts my music playing even when it's on mute so that's not an option at all.

It has to be Google Maps if Waze works and a factory reset on the infotainment system did nothing.

I've got a 1st gen pixel XL and 2018 si sedan.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Update - I fixed it by uninstalling Google Maps (it only removes the updates) .. seems like the latest update killed the turn by turn feature for our cars.

OP
OP
Leef

Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update - I fixed it by uninstalling Google Maps (it only removes the updates) .. seems like the latest update killed the turn by turn feature for our cars.
Precisely the issue! I uninstalled Google Maps (which - as you said - does not uninstall it but only removes the updates, leaving Google Maps still functional). The turn-by-turn returned! I reinstalled the updates and the turn-by-turn stopped working again ("Waiting for smartphone"). Re-uninstalled and it works again. So that definitely seems to be the issue. Interestingly, Waze also works in the turn-by-turn screen (it didn't used to) but at first the small screen was pointing in the opposite direction of the map screen (map was telling me to turn in one direction but arrow on turn-by-turn consistently pointed in the opposite direction). That only happened on one nav trip - two other times since it has displayed correctly, so I'll watch it. It's a strange bug but I'm of the school that says that every piece of technology is allowed to have one single glitch that happens only once and that no-one can (Google: "SCE to auxiliary" for a great story about a serious glitch.)

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Precisely the issue! I uninstalled Google Maps (which - as you said - does not uninstall it but only removes the updates, leaving Google Maps still functional). The turn-by-turn returned! I reinstalled the updates and the turn-by-turn stopped working again ("Waiting for smartphone"). Re-uninstalled and it works again. So that definitely seems to be the issue. Interestingly, Waze also works in the turn-by-turn screen (it didn't used to) but at first the small screen was pointing in the opposite direction of the map screen (map was telling me to turn in one direction but arrow on turn-by-turn consistently pointed in the opposite direction). That only happened on one nav trip - two other times since it has displayed correctly, so I'll watch it. It's a strange bug but I'm of the school that says that every piece of technology is allowed to have one single glitch that happens only once and that no-one can (Google: "SCE to auxiliary" for a great story about a serious glitch.)

This is one of the BIG problems with Automatic-Updates -- both on Smartphones, as well as on PCs (Windows in particular).

These developers push out "UPDATES" with minimal in-house testing -- YOU are their Testers !! If it works and there are not floods of complains, the update was good... if everyone has issues, then it's time to go back and see what got screwed up.

Recent updates to Android Operating system, as well as to Google Application are a Classic example.

6 moths ago, everything worked fine, today there may be new issue. At some time in the future, those issue should be fixed, and the whole cycle starts again.

SUCKS to be an "Early Adopter"

Fortunately, Honda have made it VERY difficult for all, but the most persistent user, to update or change any deep system setting on the Infotainment System.

The same cannot be said for a user's Smartphone, that may be updating apps almost every day. Sooner, if not later, the whole stack of cards comes tumbling down.

If all this concerns you, and you want to get a better handing on what may be going on, save your OLD Smartphone, when you next upgrade.
Assuming it works with your Car's system, it should no longer update without a SIM card, and if you do not enable WiFi.

Then, when you have your next issue with your car system, and your newer Smartphone, try the Old one (and the old cable you keep with it).
Chances are, you will find that everything works, so it is NOT the Car Unit,, but some change/update that occurred with your daily use Smartphone(S).

Also, if it really is a fault that has developed with your Car unit, armed with the above testing methods, you are in a far more INFORMED position when talking to your Dealer, and pushing for your now clearly defective Head Unit, to be replaced, hopefully while still in Warranty period.

No credible BS from the Dealer about it being your Smartphone, cable etc

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
BTW: Talking about the Instrument Console display (of the Infotainment Video).

I am still trying to figure out how that works .. nobody seems to talk about it, especially the China Android Unit sellers, touting their Units for a Honda Replacement.

From what I can see from the limited Honda Documentation I have got so far, it looks like the Honda Infotainment unit has a special Digital Video output, to send to the Instrument Console, and that video stream is NOT the same as the main Units display.

If this is in fact the case, I really cannot see that any of these aftermarket Units can support this function .. they certainly DO NOT SAY THE DO, which most likely means they don't.
I realize that the Honda unit is a little slow, but it does have the required functionality, and I would take a little slowness anytime , rather than loose those custom Honda Functions.

honda_kruk

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Hatchback 1.5 MT Prestige
Today I "uninstalled" Google Maps and installed APK for version 10.4.1. Works like charm again :)

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Today I "uninstalled" Google Maps and installed APK for version 10.4.1. Works like charm again :)
There you go... if it stops again, 1st thing to check is that the Smartphone has not auto-updated to a newer version.

I thought Microsoft was bad, putting out flawed Updates for windows, but GOOGLE beats them hands down... they are always messing up, with bad updates.
Yes, they eventually do fix them, when enough people complain, but there is a really good reason to turn off Auto Updates, or at least make sure, especially with Goodle Apps, that you have a copy of the current working app to go back to.

As a Google User, one should NOT have to worry about this, and do this -- but -- that's the world we live in these day. I guess you get what you pay for !!! :hide:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
FYI: Just checked my phone .. still at 9.84.1 - must have updated turned off :)

I really do NOT need the latest version 10.6.2 that searches for EV charging stations, but cannot navigate !!

Last edited:

daBiker68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX - Lunar Silver Metallic 2017 Subaru Forester - Quartz Blue Pearl
Country flag
My dash display has been showing a different issue... When using Waze, the direction arrow has been showing the wrong direction! In other words, if I am supposed to be turning left at an intersection (according to the main display and my own knowledge), the dash display will show right - it does this about 50% of the time. It works fine for Google Maps, and had been working fine until about a month ago... Anyone else experience this?

Trying the following for a solution: I've just uninstalled Waze and reloaded it on my LG G6. I have +300km's to drive today, so good chance to test it out.. . If that doesn't work, I am going to see if I can find an earlier version of Waze and load it. Now, they updated Waze on Dec 16th so it may have already been fixed (I don't remember if I noticed it in the last week or so).

OP
OP
Leef

Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My dash display has been showing a different issue... When using Waze, the direction arrow has been showing the wrong direction! In other words, if I am supposed to be turning left at an intersection (according to the main display and my own knowledge), the dash display will show right - it does this about 50% of the time. It works fine for Google Maps, and had been working fine until about a month ago... Anyone else experience this?

Trying the following for a solution: I've just uninstalled Waze and reloaded it on my LG G6. I have +300km's to drive today, so good chance to test it out.. . If that doesn't work, I am going to see if I can find an earlier version of Waze and load it. Now, they updated Waze on Dec 16th so it may have already been fixed (I don't remember if I noticed it in the last week or so).
I noticed that as well. I think it cleared itself up after the first turn and finally started pointing in the right direction. I would, nevertheless, call a GPS navigation software that turns you in the opposite direction of where you want to go something of a major fail.

2018 Si FireFighter

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, 2010 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen GPS not translating to Instrument Console image
So maybe a little off topic but it has to do with Waze new t showing the map on the screen as well as on the dash for turn by turn. I have Pro version of HONDA Hack running but won’t show the map on the screen. It does however show all the other functions with no problem. I tether my iPhone X with unlimited data. Any suggestions?

daBiker68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX - Lunar Silver Metallic 2017 Subaru Forester - Quartz Blue Pearl
Country flag
... Waze not showing the map on the screen as well as on the dash for turn by turn. I have Pro version of HONDA Hack running but won’t show the map on the screen...
I have not installed Honda Hack, but my guess is that it is related to that. From back in my very basic IT days, I can give you some suggestions along with some questions that might be able to help others narrow it down:
1) Try another phone - do you have an older one that you can still use for this purpose?
2) Try Android - do you (or someone you know) have an Android phone you can test it with?
3) Reinstall Waze
4) Does it work properly with Google Maps?
5) Do you know if Waze worked before HH was installed?
6) Honda Hack - I have no knowledge on its workings, so take any suggestions from here at your own risk, lol... is this something that can easily be uninstalled and then reinstalled? Can you to a software refresh without affecting HH (ie, push and hold the audio on/off button til it prompts you)?
Sponsored