Got to test drive a Type R - Currently own an M2

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
What a great vehicle, feels good driving, power nice and smooth, and the handling felt on par with the M2. Super neat car you guys all have and def hangs with the best of them. Tempted to get one, but conflicted because certainly enjoying the M2. But I would say that it feels to me most like an EVO tbh but with smoother shifting. Great power band stock imo, car feels nice and nimble.

Super neat car fellas you should all be happy!
Sponsored

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
What a great vehicle, feels good driving, power nice and smooth, and the handling felt on par with the M2. Super neat car you guys all have and def hangs with the best of them. Tempted to get one, but conflicted because certainly enjoying the M2. But I would say that it feels to me most like an EVO tbh but with smoother shifting. Great power band stock imo, car feels nice and nimble.

Super neat car fellas you should all be happy!
Agreed, the car is pretty darn impressive, especially for the price.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Odd level of views and no responses if I offended any apologies was just trying to compliment the platform lol. Hell I'll probably be getting rid of the M2 for one later in 2019 I'm guessing.

Happy New Year all!

paikman

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F80 M3, 1993 240sx
Country flag
Odd level of views and no responses if I offended any apologies was just trying to compliment the platform lol. Hell I'll probably be getting rid of the M2 for one later in 2019 I'm guessing.

Happy New Year all!
get both!
i have a f80 m3 6mt and still enjoy my type R more.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
get both!
i have a f80 m3 6mt and still enjoy my type R more.
I have a 981 cayman s and enjoy the CTR more too. Makes me want to sell it for a 911 GT3 or cayman GT4. Can’t have the civic be my best car doh

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I have a 981 cayman s and enjoy the CTR more too. Makes me want to sell it for a 911 GT3 or cayman GT4. Can’t have the civic be my best car doh
Im assuming its the naturally aspirated flat 6 you have? Ive always had a think for porsche's NA flat 6 engines, they sound incredible.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Im assuming its the naturally aspirated flat 6 you have? Ive always had a think for porsche's NA flat 6 engines, they sound incredible.
Yea the NA one, it does sound great has the optional sport exhaust too.

Just crazy the CTR posted similar lap times for me at Thunderhill

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag

Happy New Year all!
Welcome ! No offense taken here. I like hearing what folks that own other performance cars think of the CTR, positive and negative. We are car people and it's great to get opinions on the car from a non-owner.

I do wish the Evo was still around. That was a very interesting car.

CTRFK8

First Name
Sauce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Been drooling for a m2 as my other car but not sure if its even worth it after reading/watching reviews of both(R and M2), might be overkill having both. Even though the M2 is in a different class, the R can comes very close if not just as fun to drive. Maybe have one or the other and a Panagale instead hehe.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag

Happy New Year all!
Low response rate is likely because the post is not controversial. :)

Brandondan1

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 91 Civic Si
Country flag
We just got an M2 DCT. I gotta say, the type R still feels a bit more engaging to drive IMO. The combination of power delivery, manual transmission, and handling/comfort makes it a fun and capable package.

The M2’s cabin definitely feels more upscale, but the ride is actually very stiff and it lacks adaptive suspension. The initial turn-in of a RWD car is hard to beat, but once the cars are loaded up, I feel that they handle just as well on the street. Sound wise, the M2 sounds amazing, and is pretty aggressive for a stock turbo car. It’s also pretty easy to get throttle oversteer in the M2 which can be fun.

The CTR is definitely a great value, and still puts a smile on my face.

OwenC

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR Fk8, M2 Competition, 991.2 GT3
Currently own a TypeR and M2 Competition and I'm enjoying both cars.

Frankly speaking, the M2C trumps the TypeR in pretty much every aspect in my opinion from power delivery, handling, steering, comfort (even without adaptive suspension), luxury amenities, seats, etc. The only feature that the M2C lacks vs the Type R is the brake hold function.

But the Type R is a very fun sort of car and has it's own character that is different from a European sports car. Plus it is much less expensive than the M2C which helps as a "feel good" car.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Frankly speaking, the M2C trumps the TypeR in pretty much every aspect in my opinion from power delivery, handling, steering, comfort (even without adaptive suspension), luxury amenities, seats, etc. The only feature that the M2C lacks vs the Type R is the brake hold function.

But the Type R is a very fun sort of car and has it's own character that is different from a European sports car. Plus it is much less expensive than the M2C which helps as a "feel good" car.
Yeah I have the Performance Edition M2 as well, and agree with your assessment however that is to be expected with the price delta between the two cars. It's a great car at the pricepoint and would be entertaining enough 99% of the time compared to say the M2 in every day conditions.

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag

I have the M2c and had a type r and the only thing I don't agree with is the handling. I feel the type R carries more corning speed but if your talking about liking the RWD vs FWD feel I do understand. Being FWD the Type R is amazing. I personally rank the car as high as a lancer evolution when they first came out. I consider the lancer evo the best AWD race car feel vs this FWD magic. Both excellent cars. The M2c may be good but the problem is that it is not a clear winner in it's class. The Type R is the clear winner in it's FWD class today. Fast, usable, reasonably prices or what I can describe it the FWD "M3" aka benchmark.