mehrdad

First Name
Mehrdad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Volvo XC60, 2018 CTR
Country flag
I am not that familiar with the Type R, not having one, but I do know about the Si.

The Si has two Oil Pressure "Switches", but does not have an Oil Temperature or oil Pressure SENSORS.
I believe the Type R has an oil PRESSURE sensor - I was researching then when I wanted an oil pressure gauge on the Si. I assume the Type R also has the two "Oil Switches" that the Si has in the Cam area.

So the 1st question that needs to be answered for the Type R, is which of those 3 sensors are causing the Oil Light warning. Time to get the OBD2 reader out and check out any error codes.
Well, last week I ordered one of Autel's code reader. For several strange reason customs in Turkey didn't allow me to get it and it has to be returned back to US. So went to the Honda dealer and asked them to check. I told them that I see the oil is more than Full so they checked and found 50ml higher which doesn't seem to be much. So they asked me to bring the car on Thursday so that they will check with their OBD tool. They specifically asked me which color was the oil warning which was the yellow one.
On the other side I didn't this warning anymore since Sunday. So let's see what will be seen in their diag tool!
Sponsored

OP
OP
mehrdad

mehrdad

First Name
Mehrdad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the exact same issue - low oil level warning comes on about 1-2 times a month during casual driving. Oil level is above max on the dipstick.

This is the same issue Hondas have had since oil level sensors have been introduced in 8 gen. Civics and 7 gen. Accords. Either the switch or harness is faulty, you can go do the dealer but it is unlikely they will do anything because they will not be able to replicate it unless you are very lucky and the error pops up when the tech will be driving.

Really wish there was a way just to disable the stupid thing.
Thanks a lot for the input. Well, in fact the guy in the dealership told me the same and I didn't believe him I thought it's a BS and he just wants me to go away. So I insisted the car to be check by their diagnostic tool which they will do on Thursday.

OP
OP
mehrdad

mehrdad

First Name
Mehrdad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Book states to check the oil within 3 minutes of shutting the car off. My dealer recommended 1 minute. Explanation was the oil level should be full while driving and not sitting cold. It also states that slightly higher level is "normal in certain situations"..... but book doesn't explain what those situations are
Well, this dealer said 20 minutes! I think something about 5 minutes would be enough but he insisted that they only check after 20 minutes!!!

OP
OP
mehrdad

mehrdad

First Name
Mehrdad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm, I'd send it in to the dealer if possible. Did you do the oil change yourself or did someone else do it?? Do you know how much oil they put in when they changed it?? Did they change the filter as well??? It could be a bad sensor (like others suggested) but might not be considering you just changed the oil somewhat recently.

Keep us posted man.
Yes oil was changed 2 weeks ago with the oil filter. Today they found that they have added 50ml extra than needed that I think can't be the cause of such error. Honestly It scared me a lot, since the car is bought second hand I told myself that well I'm screwed, I never had a second hand car in my life, always was scared to get one and by seeing this warning I made myself wet

jackal

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5 T 10th gen
Country flag
Yesterday I was coming home from the airport, speed of 120 km and saw the yellow warning of the oil. Stopped the car, turned it off after few minutes to let things cool down a bit and then after 7 minutes checked the dipstick. It's not easy to read it but I guess it was even higher than full!

Started the ca again and no warning came on, again after few kilometers it came back and this time I was really scared. Then did the same procedure even used a cloth to make sure that it above the full and it was indeed.
After the new start it never came back!

Anybody experienced the same error? Am I in trouble?
I have the same problem now with my 1.5 T 10th gen 2017 civic. I have it from new 2 years now and i when i changed oil on Honda dealer the indicator came up on the highway (see photo), i stopped and started again and the light turned off and i carry on. So when i got back to the dealer they changed again the oil but it came up again but only when i'm in the road for hours and high speed. I don't know what to do! Have u find any solution?

Honda Civic 10th gen got the low oil warning twice!!! 1069.JPG

OP
OP
mehrdad

mehrdad

First Name
Mehrdad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the same problem now with my 1.5 T 10th gen 2017 civic. I have it from new 2 years now and i when i changed oil on Honda dealer the indicator came up on the highway (see photo), i stopped and started again and the light turned off and i carry on. So when i got back to the dealer they changed again the oil but it came up again but only when i'm in the road for hours and high speed. I don't know what to do! Have u find any solution?

1069.JPG
Well, I was had an appointment with the dealer yesterday and after waiting for 2 hours they said that they are not able to check the car till 3pm which was not possible for me due to the flight I had.
For me it didn't come back after it's appearance which happened twice! So I think it's just a random occurrence as elmerzasty mentioned "I have the exact same issue - low oil level warning comes on about 1-2 times a month during casual driving. Oil level is above max on the dipstick.

This is the same issue Hondas have had since oil level sensors have been introduced in 8 gen. Civics and 7 gen. Accords. Either the switch or harness is faulty, you can go do the dealer but it is unlikely they will do anything because they will not be able to replicate it unless you are very lucky and the error pops up when the tech will be driving.

Really wish there was a way just to disable the stupid thing."

OP
OP
mehrdad

mehrdad

First Name
Mehrdad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe it's not an oil warning but Alladin's lamp and you're granted 3 wishes.
LOL, well wish one would be a new engine which is lovely

jackal

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5 T 10th gen
Country flag
Well, I was had an appointment with the dealer yesterday and after waiting for 2 hours they said that they are not able to check the car till 3pm which was not possible for me due to the flight I had.
For me it didn't come back after it's appearance which happened twice! So I think it's just a random occurrence as elmerzasty mentioned "I have the exact same issue - low oil level warning comes on about 1-2 times a month during casual driving. Oil level is above max on the dipstick.

I have to mention that the indicator came up when i've done the casual annual service which is mainly oil change every year because it is new and have to go to a Honda dealer for warranty. Also they upgrade the system of the car. I don't know if it is a coinsidense but i have to ask you if you previous change the oil too?
Mine also have more oil on dipstick and i'm sure it is some error which Honda have to fix.
Honda changed the oil engine again but again came up after running in high speed.
When u have news from your dealer please write. I have again a new appointment.

OP
OP
mehrdad

mehrdad

First Name
Mehrdad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have to mention that the indicator came up when i've done the casual annual service which is mainly oil change every year because it is new and have to go to a Honda dealer for warranty. Also they upgrade the system of the car. I don't know if it is a coinsidense but i have to ask you if you previous change the oil too?
Mine also have more oil on dipstick and i'm sure it is some error which Honda have to fix.
Honda changed the oil engine again but again came up after running in high speed.
When u have news from your dealer please write. I have again a new appointment.
Warning came on one week after the oil change! But I doubt they would accept to change it again. I was lucky cause this didn't came on again for a full week of driving though.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

Seems simple enough to me .

(1) Replace switch (Far cheaper to put a new switch in, than mess about for ages, testing, with the hope that the fault shows up)
(2) Set oil level to correct level !!!!

If oil level is too high, it can Froth up, and that can cause a low oil pressure indication.

I really cannot understand why it seems to be so hard for Dealers to fill these cars to the CORRECT oil level, (Rather than what they seem to do, - just dump a "FIXED" amount of oil in, and throw it out the door without any further checking.)

OP
OP
mehrdad

mehrdad

First Name
Mehrdad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Seems simple enough to me .

(1) Replace switch (Far cheaper to put a new switch in, than mess about for ages, testing, with the hope that the fault shows up)
(2) Set oil level to correct level !!!!

If oil level is too high, it can Froth up, and that can cause a low oil pressure indication.

I really cannot understand why it seems to be so hard for Dealers to fill these cars to the CORRECT oil level, (Rather than what they seem to do, - just dump a "FIXED" amount of oil in, and throw it out the door without any further checking.)
And that replacement you think will not void the warranty?!!
As for the oil level will that 50ml cause this?!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
And that replacement you think will not void the warranty?!!
As for the oil level will that 50ml cause this?!
If it is the correct Honda part number, who will know if you replace it -- unless you tell anyone :)

From the top Max line to the top of the Orange is about 1/4 Quart.
Oil refill should be 3.75 quarts
Oil comes in 1 or 2 quarts bottles.
If you fill it with qty 2 x 2 quarts ( EASY / Lazy ), but you are overfilling by 0.25 quarts.

Maybe this explains why so many are seeing their oil level up past max to the top of the Orange, and then thinking they have 0.25 quarts of Fuel in their Oil !!

I know when I did my last oil change (+ filter change) a few months ago, I carefully filled to the max line, (with several small top up fills near max to get it to there exactly) and it has not moved up or down from there over the past few months.

OP
OP
mehrdad

mehrdad

First Name
Mehrdad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If it is the correct Honda part number, who will know if you replace it -- unless you tell anyone :)

From the top Max line to the top of the Orange is about 1/4 Quart.
Oil refill should be 3.75 quarts
Oil comes in 1 or 2 quarts bottles.
If you fill it with qty 2 x 2 quarts ( EASY / Lazy ), but you are overfilling by 0.25 quarts.

Maybe this explains why so many are seeing their oil level up past max to the top of the Orange, and then thinking they have 0.25 quarts of Fuel in their Oil !!

I know when I did my last oil change (+ filter change) a few months ago, I carefully filled to the max line, (with several small top up fills near max to get it to there exactly) and it has not moved up or down from there over the past few months.
Thank you so much for the great explanation. Well in this area they have used the 5 liter pack of Honda oil. I can measure how much is left only when I go back to Istanbul.
Will keep you updated once I do the measurement.

Thanks a lot.

ems657

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru STi, 2012 Infiniti G37 (sold)
Country flag
To OP,
I want to share something real quick - I thought the engine needs 5.7 quarts of engine oil, not 3.75 L.
I also do my own oil change, and each time I just pour in 5.5 quarts. When I check the dipstick, it looks fine.
Just want to share my search results and personal experience. Thank you,
Sponsored