Got the CVT rattle TSB fixed...it's still here.

mdivito1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
So a few weeks ago I took my '17 hatchback to the dealership to get the lower control valve body replaced in the CVT because of the "grinding" issue that many 1.5t owners seem to have. They had my car for 3 days and replaced the part free of charge. I noticed recently that the noise has not disappeared, but seems to be less frequent and only happens for a split second now. Kind of annoyed that I went through the trouble of getting it fixed and it still has the issue, albeit less often. Anyone else bring their cars in for the TSB that still have the issue?
Sponsored

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
Hello,
I had the valve body in the CVT supposedly fixed with an updated valve body using the latest TSB. The noise went away for a while then over time I could tell the noise was coming back. Now it's a pretty regular sound again every 5th or 6th start when it's still warm, spin up grind and you can hear it. I talked to the Honda service manager that managed this problem earlier and they're going to be looking into it. Possibly replace the CVT transmission with a 2018 version since the TSB replacement didn't work. Other then that there are no other issues, it’s a great car to drive as commuter with plenti o zip.

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
So just to let you guys know, I stopped by Honda on my day off. They checked it out, heard the noise, I gave them a clip video loud and clear to send to Honda higher level tech support.

Honda Corporate called, I'm getting a new 2018 transmission with a loaner.

Even though there is a group of us here that are dealing with this, they are saying it's rare and it's being taken care of, go Honda!
I still believe you're the best 4 banger out here.

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
so my service dept confirmed that my grind is back and they will be performing the TSB for the second time... is there is a different fix other than the TSB please let me know..

Last edited:

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
Yup, if the noise comes back, then it's a full transmission replacement. Document everything from this point on.

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
Yup, if the noise comes back, then it's a full transmission replacement. Document everything from this point on.
so you are saying after its fixed the first time, if it comes back Honda is saying
so after the TSB is performed and it comes back, HONDA states to replace the whole transmission?? this is documented by Honda?

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
After I had Honda tech (same tech that did the first TSB repair) at dealer verify the sounds return and I gave him a copy of the sound clip, they were told to replace it by Corporate. Had it back in 3 days. End of the issue as of this writing....If you follow through honestly, they will too. Go Honda!

Last edited:

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
After I had Honda tech (same tech that did the first TSB repair) at dealer verify the sounds return and I gave him a copy of the sound clip, they were told to replace it by Corporate. Had it back in 3 days. End of the issue as of this writing....If you follow through honestly, they will too. Go Honda!
Replacing the valve body again as they did the first time with the TSB, I asked about transmission replacement and they stated Honda did not authorize that, were told to perform the TSB again.

Justin G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport.
Country flag
So just to let you guys know, I stopped by Honda on my day off. They checked it out, heard the noise, I gave them a clip video loud and clear to send to Honda higher level tech support.

Honda Corporate called, I'm getting a new 2018 transmission with a loaner.

Even though there is a group of us here that are dealing with this, they are saying it's rare and it's being taken care of, go Honda!
I still believe you're the best 4 banger out here.
Sounded like a fart.

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I have a '16 EX-T and had the TSB done in July of '17. The noise has returned but not consistent, in fact so unpredictable that I am not sure they will be able to duplicate it but I do hear it occasionally. I am taking it in on Thursday, 7/31. I will see and update you. My service tech said that it is possible Honda has retooled the part and a newer version may be available.

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
I have had it repaired twice now, when it first came out, and then again several months ago and it is doing it again..

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
I have had it repaired twice now, when it first came out, and then again several months ago and it is doing it again..
If the issue comes up again, you might be able to file for a lemon. Might be able to get a refreshed Civic.

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
If the issue comes up again, you might be able to file for a lemon. Might be able to get a refreshed Civic.
car is over 3 years old so not sure how that even works, but the Honda field tech will be out on Sept 3rd so I will be having a conversation..

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
the Honda field tech will be out on Sept 3rd so I will be having a conversation.
Please let us know the outcome of that, I am in the same situation with my 2016, however I read that the noise is just that and it has no detrimental on the car or its performance. Back in the '90's I had one of those Chevy's with the defective ignitions that would just shut down for no reason at any time and I sued under the Lemon Law (and won), but in my state at least it is limited to the first 12 months of ownership and the issue must remain unresolved after 3 dealer attempts. At my dealer they offered to replace it again, I asked if the part & part number are the same and was told it was. So I declined as it stated in the TSB, there is no adverse affect.

Hec1225

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
I purchased my 16 ExT used from Autonation Ford. Do I still take the car to Honda for this issue? Should I verify the power train warranty is still active first? Thank you.
Sponsored