Got Screwed on a Set of Michelin Pilot A/S 3+. What should I get now?

BSbrenden97Si

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Same issue and have not yet found the source. Rotating the wheel/tire on the hub indicates the tire has a high and low area, which I’m assuming is causing the bouncing. I checked all 4 wheels and tires. Same thing. Running 225/40/18 on 18x9” wheels.
Michelin won’t cover them because of the slight stretch and the installers are claiming they’re balanced perfectly.
Not sure where to go from here.
Sponsored

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I hope my tires hold up. I put the 245/35/20 Michelin PS3 A/S on the OEM wheels a few weeks back. So far they are great.
No problems with tire rubbing? How much does your speedometer read high?

I did the same thing (went to A/S tires) but bought new 19x8.5 wheels to run size 245/35ZR19. The 35 aspect + 19" rim comes out almost identical to the stock 35 aspect + 20" rims.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

I did the same thing (went to A/S tires) but bought new 19x8.5 wheels to run size 245/35ZR19. The 35 aspect + 19" rim comes out almost identical to the stock 35 aspect + 20" rims.
245/35/19 is the stock for the previous generation Type R, it should be virtually identical in terms of diameter. The error from a 245/35/20 should be about a 4% higher reading than actual.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

JoJo21

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

There is no rubbing at all. The speedometer is slightly off by about 2mph for highway driving.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
You totally should get a warranty adjustment from Michelin on those tires.

I've ran several sets of Continental DWS06 on my 2014 SI and one set now on by 2019 CTR. I like these tires very much. The way I drive I never get the expected number of miles, but if you go to the trouble to return them for the mileage warranty adjustment, Michelin or Continental should give you the percentage you didn't get on the tires in $$ back. I used up a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ in 21,000 miles (45,000 warranty) on the Type R and got back $497 when I returned them. The current set of Continental DWS06 looks to be lasting about 25,000 (50,000 warranty) and they will do the same. I always get my tires through TireRack.com and TireRack makes the warranty return and issuing the credit quite painless. I just stack up the old unmounted tires outside my front door; TireRack issues the UPS call tag and UPS shows up and picks them up.
Wow, dude, this information makes all the dumb posts in this thread worthwhile to read. haha Particularly because I bought my summer and winter tires at tirerack.com, this is valuable information.

Now, let me rant a little about some of those other posts here . . . . . And yes, if you have a non-Type R Civic, stock all-seasons would suffice in winter weather in most places since it is a FWD, though snow tires would make the traction so much better. However, if you live in places where snow plows and salting are not abundant, or if you live on top of a hill, then you should have snow tires on your non-CTR. If you have any (OEM or not) summer performance tires on your CTR, you'd be insane to drive around in the stock tires in snowy climates.

In any event, why tell other people how to spend their money? Every single one of us do things that might be perceived as wasteful to some others, like eating out, drinking Starbucks, driving a Honda instead of a Kia, taking a vacation overseas, buying implants for your loved ones, so on.

But coming to a CTR sub-forum and lecturing CTR owners based on a totally differently set of OEM tires made this a hilarious read retrospectively. To be fair though, when you click on "Related Threads,/Posts" link, it is very easy to lose track of where the thread is located. I've gotten lost a few times. Civility is key when discussing a car named Civic.

Last edited:

TonyD

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rallye Red Type R
Country flag
I'm surprised by this. I love Michelins for this very reason. It may also be that I use a local tire shop that takes great care of me.

I bought a set of XIce a few years back and I HATED them. They probably had factory defects but it didn't matter. Michelin has a satisfaction guarantee, not sure of the duration, and they took them back and I got the AS and I love them. This was about 2 weeks later.

A good tire shop is worth its weight in gold. They will battle with the local rep to get you sorted. Since they did the job and can verify the alignment it is up to them to help you out. That's why I don't use Tirerack.

On the flipside this same local guy gets me within a few $$ of the Tirerack prices. The one time they couldn't they insisted I buy them on TR and deliver them to their shop and they still stood behind them.

doctorbee

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Cupping is caused by blown struts, not alignment. Have you had your struts checked?

doctorbee

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
If your struts check out fine then I would bring it to a reputable shop that sells Michelin tires (Discount Tire/America's Tire are great). They will most likely recommend a rebalance.

If that doesn't help then they should help you get them replaced under warranty:

https://www.michelinman.com/on/dema...-replacement-tires-owners-manual-warranty.pdf

HOW DO I GET A REPLACEMENT? Take your tire to any MICHELIN tire retailer. The retailer will require that you provide one or more the following:
1. The vehicle on which the tire was used,
2. Personal identification (e.g. Driver’s License),
3. Your vehicle registration,
4. Payment if you owe a pro rata share for the replacement,
5. A completed Service Record form, and Original Owner/Tire Installation Information Form,
6. Your original invoice and copy of this Owner’s Manual, and/or
7. For treadwear replacement claims, documents showing that your tires have been rotated and inspected every 6,000-8,000 miles (10,000- 12,000 km) or as specied by your vehicle manufacturer, whichever rotation period is less, and the Mounting and Rotation Service Record found on pages 23-25 of this Owner’s Manual has been fully completed and signed

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Struts are fine - I’ve had my factory summers on for 4 months and no chopping there. It’s a moot point, as Michelin has informed me that they do not honor warranty claims on chopped tires, no matter how new.

On a brighter note, the shop that I took them to for the warranty inspection thinks that the chopping is very mild, and that the vibration is coming from a lack of balance. They claim that the Firestone that originally mounted them never rebalanced them, and pointed to the black painted factory weights as evidence. They spin balanced them for nothing, and said that I’m better off keeping them than trying to fight it out with Michelin.

At this point, I’m inclined to hang onto them for another season and see if it’s better after the balance. I’ll be putting them on next weekend, so we’ll see.

TypeWavey

Free The Wave
First Name
Spike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2016 Aprilia RSV4
Country flag
I was looking into AS3+s, but DWS06’s seem like a better deal. I’m also considering BF Goodrich’s G-Force Comp 2 A/S for their better price. I plan on mounting these on the stock 20”s and running summers on 18’s. Trying to hold out for Black Friday deals as it’s only gotten below 50’s here in the mornings on my way to work.
Sponsored