Got Rear Ended, Seeking Advise!

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (Sonic Gray Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
True Story: Many years ago I worked at a small car rental agency and this happened. The owner got a call from the police, it seems some lady was trying to cash a check, that our company had reported stolen, at a liquor store. It seems some truck hit her car on the freeway and instead of going through the insurance company, she accepted a check from the guys in the truck that hit her. So the lady almost got arrested for trying to pass a stolen check and she is out the money to repair her car.
Let your insurance take care of this situation and if this guy is such a bad driver maybe he is responsible for other hit and runs. File a report with the cops and let them sort out it legally. The other driver sounds like someone who will try to stiff you on this so don't take a chance.
Sponsored

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am honestly baffled as to why this is even a question. The guy attempted to run, gives you expired insurance info after you chase him down, and now wants leniency?

I would have called the cops after cornering him. I see no reason to do anything other than report it.

cafecito820

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Absolutely 100% report the incident to the police, including the fact that he ran.

As for getting the repairs, one option (which may not sound appealing) is to use your own insurance, pay the deductible, and then have your insurance company recover the losses from the driver for you. You would be reimbursed the cost of your deductible, and your insurance company would have access to much more "monetary extraction methods" than you would as a lone civilian.

And, before anyone asks, no - your rate would no go up for an accident that wasn't your fault.

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
Hello Fellow Civic (Si) Owners,

I got rear ended today at a red light while going to work in the morning (pics below).
The guys was in a Toyota 4Runner and instead of pulling over he just ran for it.

I had his partial plate so decided to chase him, which turned into a 10 min chase over the freeway and backroad (exciting stuff!). Finally he turned into a cul-de-sac and I blocked him. He started pleading that he was panicking and didn't think clearly. After some talking, he gave his insurance info which was expired and contact details and asked not to file a report and go through insurance because he already had 2 points on his license. He said he will pay for all the repair cost.

Considering this is my first ever accident in my first ever car (although leased), should I just get it repaired from a body shop and let the guy pay the bills or should I report this incident and go through the official process?

My main concern is, if I cut some slack and let the guy pay, what if Honda notices that the bumper was repaired and asks me to pay for it while I am returning my lease. As per my understanding, any paint touchups count as unrepaired damage.

Any helpful thoughts on this matter will help me make a decision quicker, thanks in advance!

rear bumber hit 1.png
rear bumber hit 2.png
Please report it. People always like telling sob stories just to push you into this corner. When it comes down to actually repairs the car they'll just disappear.

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
Report it. We just had the exact same damage. It was $1200 to fix and took 1 week.

silverblip

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota TRD Off-Road MT
Country flag
I didn't see anything about the police being called and this accident and the felony the perp commited being filed.
If you didn't have the police on the scene you are foolish.

SDzx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X
Country flag
Report it.

Dude it’s a hit and run, and if you didn’t catch up to him then he would’ve just gotten away. You’re too kind, I would’ve called the police for the simple fact I had to chase him. BS!! F that guy.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Report to insurance and LE but sans the chase. Took a chance cornering the guy not knowing if there’s a weapon in there. You’re also in a trigger-happy state (Calif).

Prelude2CivicX

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 6 Speed M/T, 2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport, 1997 Lexus SC300
Country flag
Hello Fellow Civic (Si) Owners,

I got rear ended today at a red light while going to work in the morning (pics below).
The guys was in a Toyota 4Runner and instead of pulling over he just ran for it.

I had his partial plate so decided to chase him, which turned into a 10 min chase over the freeway and backroad (exciting stuff!). Finally he turned into a cul-de-sac and I blocked him. He started pleading that he was panicking and didn't think clearly. After some talking, he gave his insurance info which was expired and contact details and asked not to file a report and go through insurance because he already had 2 points on his license. He said he will pay for all the repair cost.

Considering this is my first ever accident in my first ever car (although leased), should I just get it repaired from a body shop and let the guy pay the bills or should I report this incident and go through the official process?

My main concern is, if I cut some slack and let the guy pay, what if Honda notices that the bumper was repaired and asks me to pay for it while I am returning my lease. As per my understanding, any paint touchups count as unrepaired damage.

Any helpful thoughts on this matter will help me make a decision quicker, thanks in advance!

rear bumber hit 1.png
rear bumber hit 2.png
I had slightly similar damage on my 18' Si sedan caused by a minor rear end as well. I got an estimate from a friend who works at a body shop of $1200 to professionally remove and paint my bumper. I decided to be a nice guy and take $500 cash from the other driver though. But like I stated my damage was similar but a lot less than your damage and I was able to buff out most of the scuffs up myself as well. In your case I would go through my insurance and and report the guy. I would've done a police report since he fled the scene to begin with and then didn't have proper insurance paperwork.

Last edited:

Civic17siYAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Report it. Don’t play around. Not only you will avoid any problems down the road, you will also do good for community, as people like him shouldn’t be driving. Getting into an accident is one thing. But running is not acceptable. What if he would of hit a pedestrian and ran away?
This. I'd be willing to bet he wouldnt pay if you cut him some slack.

skorj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Why the hell did you not call 911 the second he took off? You get in an accident, you call the police. Period. Especially if they are running like that. Even if you didn't call until you had him cornered, get a pic of his plate, him, and the vehicle.

I'm betting he never pays you a dime either way, but at least get the police after him for being such a piece of trash.

Radsolutionz

First Name
Rahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI 4dr
Country flag
Go to the most expensive best body shop you know. Get an estimate. How long it will take. Demand he pay that plus demand 1000 extra for rental and to not report it.

Radsolutionz

First Name
Rahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI 4dr
Country flag
I think my si might be totaled. Guy was making an unsafe left turn and I went straight into him when it was my right of way. Police report states it was other party at fault. I'm hurt pretty bad. I'm waiting on insurance to tell me if my car is totaled or not...

Honda Civic 10th gen Got Rear Ended, Seeking Advise! Resized_20191028_173127

Honda Civic 10th gen Got Rear Ended, Seeking Advise! Resized_20191028_173044

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whatever damage was done probably cracked the transmission case as that looks like trans fluid on the ground. Your suspension is gonna be a mess as well, with some damage to the sub-frame. If anything, pray they total it out.

Radsolutionz

First Name
Rahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI 4dr
Country flag
Whatever damage was done probably cracked the transmission case as that looks like trans fluid on the ground. Your suspension is gonna be a mess as well, with some damage to the sub-frame. If anything, pray they total it out.
Lol they will total it. I will make sure it happens. They still have not looked at the car. It's been sitting at wreckers for a week now. It's the waiting game.
Sponsored