Got 3 tickets.

Birdman75

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Go to court, be polite and beg for mercy. You might get away with a fine and no points if this is the first time. I had a similar situation years ago and got off with no points. Tell them you are applying for a job that requires a clean driving record and that you have learned your lesson....
Sponsored

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Lots of bad advice being provided here. Don't plead shit until you talk to a lawyer. Also definitely talk to your parents.

Most likely it can be talked down to wreckless driving that can be washed with defensive driving and a year deferment (don't get another citation in a year and you're clear). With the cost of court and lawyer fees, and a small fine. Way better than a permanent marker on your record, especially at your age.

This of course depends heavily on your state and specific county laws and judges. A good lawyer and you could potentially walk away for being a teenage fucking moron that was lucky enough not to kill anyone.
Reckless driving is a misdemeanor in several states - you would only plead down to reckless driving to avoid another criminal offense, such as a DUI. You most definitely cannot wash it clean with a defensive driving class.

Agreed that you should get a traffic lawyer, preferably one that frequents the very courthouse that you will be called to. Generally, such an attorney will have a longstanding working relationship with the prosecutor, which will allow him/her to more easily argue this down for you. If you have no previous moving violations, no criminal history, are a good student, and generally have the kind of profile that would allow your lawyer to show that you're a kid with a bright future ahead of you (who made a single mistake), it is possible to get your three tickets reduced to non-moving violations. That means no points on your license, and reduced ticket fees.

Keep in mind that you may still incur "insurance points". These are separate from your license points -- license points can cause you to have to pay a large annual surcharge to the state (depending on where you live), and are what cause you to lose your license if you incur enough of them. Insurance points just cause your insurance rates to go up. In the end, this will likely cost you a pretty penny, and even if you win, you may still end up with a bunch of insurance points and court/lawyer fees. Your main focus should be on not incurring any license points.

Last edited:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your ticket will NOT be cheap when you are 38 MPH over the speed limit + 2 other tickets. Yes, IL does have point system, 25+ is 50 points (3 months of suspension) UNLESS you pay a fee (about $200 $250 + ticket cost). With 3 tickets your points can be 75 points (6 months suspension) Even if a judge is nice you will NOT be able to get much reduction on the penalty.

35 miles per hour or more over the limit. Class A misdemeanor and carries up to one year in jail and a maximum $2,500 in fines.
No matter what it's will NOT be cheap even if you hire a lawyer. Assuming you are a male your insurance will skyrocket for next several years.
https://www.drivinglaws.org/resources/traffic-tickets/speed-violations/illinois-speeding-laws.htm
https://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/point-system.php

IMHO you should be honest and take it as a lesson. Yes, we ALL have done STUPID things BUT there is always COST associated with it... no, you will NOT go to jail! I am not the type to hire a lawyer, you did the crime you do the time.
If you were my kid you WILL lose your car for sometime and will volunteer your time to serve someone in need.
For some there are FAR worse penalty like those kids in FL who killed a 24 year old mom a week ago. Not to be a jerk BUT truth is they thought it will never happen to them, your life can and will change at a blink of an eye.... It is HARD to imagine at 17 but it is something to seriously think about and yes I was also young and stupid at one point.
Not sure how it works in IL, but in VA the unwritten rule is 1-2 days of jail time for every 1 MPH over 90, and it's a crapshoot whether nor not having an "connected" attorney will make a difference, or if the judge throws the book at you. First offense or third offense, judges in VA can, will, and do issue jail time for this.

Cops/judges don't associate with, and therefore usually don't understand, youth. Very rarely do you not have a balding conservative white guy at the helm. At 17, these guys would view you as a punk regardless of wrongdoing (not saying OP is, and I'm not one to judge here). Education, your personal character, your life's experiences - none of it matters. I would not expect any leniency from the judge. The moment you walk into that court room, the judge already sees you as guilty, and as a criminal.

It's gonna be rough, but all I can say is use your family as a support system, keep your head up, and things'll get better before you know it. A few mistakes don't define you.

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
i got 2 reckless driving tickets when i was 16, one for pulling a friend on a skate board while he was holding onto my pickup bed( wasent my plan he just grabbed on when i went by), and another for passing a cop on the oncomming lane and pulling him over, a guy was chasing us and trying to run us off the road. happend to be on a highway. desolate one in northern minnesota.

Asmith

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx cvt, 2009 hummer H3
Country flag
7 years back I was being stupid and street racing a friend of mine in his newer modded Subaru sti , in my 2001 modded Grand Prix. I never do this but we just wanted to see who was quicker. Anyways per my luck a cop was sitting at the top of the hill. Pulled us both over and I got 4 tickets wreckless, street racing, speeding, driving without my lic on me and failure to have on my seatbelt. I was looking at mandatory suspension in Maryland. I ended up getting a judge who said take a driving class and she would give me PBJ I took the class came back and the judge had retired and I got one that tossed the book at me! It forced me to appeal and thank god the officer missed the appeal date and the DA felt bad and they tossed out the charges. Lesson learned the hardway. Sold the car shortly after and have never gotten another ticket. Cost me 5k in attorny fees and like 500 for the class, but it could have been much worse

HatchHTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went 94 in a 75 when I was 17 and luckily just got away with defensive driving

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Still alive. They were posting on another thread about having issues with the Stage 1 reflash that had just come out. Alive and unlucky.

I just got pulled over for the first time in a while because of GAs new phone laws... and wasn't on the phone. There out in force down here in SE GA, trying to get folks for something.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Still alive. They were posting on another thread about having issues with the Stage 1 reflash that had just come out. Alive and unlucky.

I just got pulled over for the first time in a while because of GAs new phone laws... and wasn't on the phone. There out in force down here in SE GA, trying to get folks for something.
That sucks dude.
Went from Tampa to Lavinia (North GA) about 2 weeks ago and can confirm they are out in force in GA. I didn't get pulled but I was definitely on my best behavior. I still consider myself lucky because it's easy to speed in the wrx.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have always got a reckless bumped down to a careless which is MUCH easier to deal with. I have had this happen 3 times, 2 in florida 1 in nevada. then go to court try to get it thrown out, if thats a no go take the defensive driving course.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty dang stable actually. I've had my EX-T up to 100 quite easily on trackdays.
I have a couple of Express/toll lanes around one that is a 75 mph zone and one that is 85. 95-100 is so silky smooth. The car handles it fine. It actually quite impressive that is so smooth bc its almost way too comfortable.

To the OP, we all have done dumb shit, some more dumb and life threatening than others. The cop may have been a dickhead but he was trying to make a point to you. They treat youngsters different because you are still impressionable and if his point gets across to you and you dont do dumb shit in a car anymore then it was worth being a dick to you so he doesn't have to tell your parents he found you with your head through the windshield on the interstate.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
I ended up getting a judge who said take a driving class and she would give me PBJ
I'd take a penalty of a Powerful Blow Job any day!!

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag