jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
What made you hope you won't be caught? At your age with no experience you are so easy prey to predatory LEOs ...
I'm worried about you with this kind of pure naiveté.

Still, you are lucky it's not Virginia where for 93/55 they would give you capital punishment I believe.
I don't go there.

You need to decide yourself whether you want to get a lawyer. You will probably receive some letters from lawyers offering their services and telling you that you absolutely have to have a lawyer or else your life is over. I guess there is some potential to bargain here with these 3 tickets, so I would tend to get one - the cost shouldn't be too high compared to the whole.

If you don't want your parents to know.... which seems totally impossible - better be the first at the mailbox.
Haha that's actually true, I live in Virginia and i'm lucky to have never got a speeding ticket (I drive strategically), but they take it VERY seriously over here and if your 15 and above over the limit your in for a tough time, and 93 in a 55 is just asking for your license to be taken away at least in VA. My advice is you can definitely bargain the 3 tickets if you get a lawyer, and also TELL YOUR PARENTS because they'll only be more mad that you didn't tell them in the first place.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Just one of many things a 17 year old may not realize: most cops will be dickheads or assholes when they find a minor as the pulled over driver. They will try to teach him/her a lesson, at least verbally.

There is absolutely nothing you can do about it, but submit. Your lawyer, if you get one, will also be able to only beg for any relief and bargain between all the parties that want a share. If you are defensive, anything else than totally repentant, you will only get more of it. Now you know.

But lawyers for traffic violations are not expensive. This is routine. All he has to do is to show up in court maybe two times.

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
come on lets see that video already i wanna see what its like to do 93 in a civic.
Pretty dang stable actually. I've had my EX-T up to 100 quite easily on trackdays.

Zatannaz

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just one of many things a 17 year old may not realize: most cops will be dickheads or assholes when they find a minor as the pulled over driver. They will try to teach him/her a lesson, at least verbally.

There is absolutely nothing you can do about it, but submit. Your lawyer, if you get one, will also be able to only beg for any relief and bargain between all the parties that want a share. If you are defensive, anything else than totally repentant, you will only get more of it. Now you know.

But lawyers for traffic violations are not expensive. This is routine. All he has to do is to show up in court maybe two times.

I got 3 reckless in a year in my 20’s. I’m now 51 and have a very clean record. I did EACH time get a lawyer and got to take classes somehow - by a miracle- and I’m in Virginia. If I was able to slide by here in Virginia I’m sure you can there. My other half gave me pure hell and it finally sank in and I behaved. GET a LAWYER whatever you do and a good one. I did love that Celica.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Those of us being hard on the kid are because we have done stupid shit, and survived. Looking back like "wtf was I thinking". It's hardly hypocritical to come down on a kid when you can remember a friend dying from doing similarly stupid shit. Or worse, paraplegic and unable to care for themselves anymore. Or hurt passengers. Or others on the road. Scares the shit out of me that I'm eventually gonna have to give my kid some keys...

I live in Texas. Toll 130 has a limit of 85, I've done 90 up and down it, and the car handles quite well at even more than that. The cruise control on the Civic caps at 90mph. Going 100 in an 85 is a lot different than 93 in a 55. Toll 130 is a straight road, designed for high speeds with low traffic due to toll costs. That said, 55mph limits are there for a reason. I have zero speeding tickets after 25 years of driving.

Not trying to encourage bad behavior, but doing nearly double the limit is "teenager stupid". Doing 20 over in Texas is considered wreckless driving, and can count as a point on your record. Texas is a 3 strikes state - 3 marks and you lose your license for up to 10 years, or permanently. DUI, DWI, wreckless driving or speeding in a school/work zone could potentially count as marks. Speeding itself is usually very easy to expunge with a deferment, defensive driving, and a year without another citation.

Glad to hear you told your dad, and good luck with your hearing.

OP
OP
Drix

Drix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
tbh the only reason i got that lane usage ticket was because i saw a car tailgating me (it was a cop) and he should had flashed his light quicker but it took him a while to turn it on. as my 17 year old self i thought in my head if someone had a road rage for me taking off so quick or something. so i tried to lose the car because ive had experience of someone try to cut my friend off when i was riding passenger because he gave someone the finger. If i had not went 3 lanes over i would had just been given a speeding ticket. thats where i messed up.

Zatannaz

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
tbh the only reason i got that lane usage ticket was because i saw a car tailgating me (it was a cop) and he should had flashed his light quicker but it took him a while to turn it on. as my 17 year old self i thought in my head if someone had a road rage for me taking off so quick or something. so i tried to lose the car because ive had experience of someone try to cut my friend off when i was riding passenger because he gave someone the finger. If i had not went 3 lanes over i would had just been given a speeding ticket. thats where i messed up.

Well it was all kinda a big mess up. Just learn from this. If you can learn from mistakes in life then you will have a much better one. People who don’t learn from mistakes .... well they generally have it pretty rough. We have all made them. Use lemons to make lemonade as they say. This shall pass. I know it doesn’t seem like it at 17 but I can tell you now that I’m 50 (+1) that it will.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Man!!! Some of the state laws on traffic violations are frightening! I guess I should be glad that I just got stuck with speeding tickets and paid fines here in Canada!

That being said, good on you for telling your parents. I have been making sure my teenager knows he can tell me anything and he is soon old enough to drive so yay me. Also, I was an idiot when I was a kid and missed my moment of learning. I had my license for 3 weeks and wasn't paying attention and got nicked doing 70 in a 50 (KM) and where I live, 25 and more over the limit = 5 points. Your first issuance here means you only have 4 points. So the cop knocked it down and I drove for a year on 1 point like I was "driving miss daisy". But after that, the stupid kicked back in. 7 speeding tickets and 2 warnings in the space of 6 years got me all manner of fun. Lost my license while having a job that I was on call for. That ticket was a biggie because I raced someone (I hit about 135 in a 90km and the other guy "won" so he was moving a lot faster) and didn't know there was a cop behind us a few cars. He got the first guy and his partner actually jumped in the lane and flagged me. Cops 2, idiot young men 0.

I still thought that I had skated as my insurance had not changed. Well guess what happens when you have to place a claim. They do a drivers abstract pull. A year later, I had a fender bender into a KRail in the winter and didn't have the money to fix it out of pocket. I put in the claim and 3 months later, the insurance company dropped me. I had to go on what we call facility here. Basically insurance for the uninsurable. I paid $4000/year insurance for almost 6 years afterwards. I don't even pay that for both my cars and my house now. I didn't get jail and I didn't hurt anyone but I paid and paid. That fixed me good. Take it from me, learn from this. Because one way or another, it is going to cost you.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
To the OP......Don't feel bad, we were actually ALL idiots at your age.
Amen to that. Many of us are just old enough that things were much easier to get away with most of the time. Still paid a crap ton of fines and high risk insurance rates for years for my stupidity as a "loose nut behind the wheel".

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Truth

As I said before, don't repeat my stupid mistakes.
Unfortunately some of us have to make our own mistakes. I was definitely one of those types. Fires hot, don't touch? F'n touches it. Crazy women don't make good house wives? Had to learn that one several times. :rofl:

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Unfortunately some of us have to make our own mistakes. I was definitely one of those types. Fires hot, don't touch? F'n touches it. Crazy women don't make good house wives? Had to learn that one several times. :rofl:
Crazy women are the most entertaining to be sure ...

Almost any woman under 5' 3" qualifies.

Eman

First Name
Eman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Your ticket will NOT be cheap when you are 38 MPH over the speed limit + 2 other tickets. Yes, IL does have point system, 25+ is 50 points (3 months of suspension) UNLESS you pay a fee (about $200 $250 + ticket cost). With 3 tickets your points can be 75 points (6 months suspension) Even if a judge is nice you will NOT be able to get much reduction on the penalty.

35 miles per hour or more over the limit. Class A misdemeanor and carries up to one year in jail and a maximum $2,500 in fines.
No matter what it's will NOT be cheap even if you hire a lawyer. Assuming you are a male your insurance will skyrocket for next several years.
https://www.drivinglaws.org/resources/traffic-tickets/speed-violations/illinois-speeding-laws.htm
https://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/point-system.php

IMHO you should be honest and take it as a lesson. Yes, we ALL have done STUPID things BUT there is always COST associated with it... no, you will NOT go to jail! I am not the type to hire a lawyer, you did the crime you do the time.
If you were my kid you WILL lose your car for sometime and will volunteer your time to serve someone in need.
For some there are FAR worse penalty like those kids in FL who killed a 24 year old mom a week ago. Not to be a jerk BUT truth is they thought it will never happen to them, your life can and will change at a blink of an eye.... It is HARD to imagine at 17 but it is something to seriously think about and yes I was also young and stupid at one point.
Sponsored