Got 3 tickets.

Drix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
I was driving on the highway and i was trying to do a pull in 4th gear to see how fast i go and did some reckless driving. i got pulled over and he gave me 3 tickets for speeding, improper lane usage and following too close. Im 17 years old and never got a ticket. i have to show up to court next month. what is the worst that can happen to me? Luckily he let me keep my license. My mom did say if i ever get a ticket i would lose my car. Should i tell my parents about my tickets? Im scared to shits rn.
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
You just pay a fine and maybe driving classes

Your insurance will probably go up sometime later in the year

Better to tell your parents now then them finding out later

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was driving on the highway and i was trying to do a pull in 4th gear to see how fast i go and did some reckless driving. i got pulled over and he gave me 3 tickets for speeding, improper lane usage and following too close. Im 17 years old and never got a ticket. i have to show up to court next month. what is the worst that can happen to me? Luckily he let me keep my license. My mom did say if i ever get a ticket i would lose my car. Should i tell my parents about my tickets? Im scared to shits rn.
Honestly you are in a tough (and expensive) situation, not to say you don’t deserve it. I won’t pretend that I didn’t do similar things in my younger days, some of us were lucky enough to not get caught. Laws vary by state, but depending on how fast you were going you may have trouble keeping your license after going to court. If your insurance is through your parents, you can count on the insurance company notifying your parents when they raise your rates. If nothing else, that is what will prevent you from hiding this. You may can buy yourself some time by waiting and seeing what happens, but you are likely somewhat better off to come clean up front. Good luck.

OP
OP
Drix

Drix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Honestly you are in a tough (and expensive) situation, not to say you don’t deserve it. I won’t pretend that I didn’t do similar things in my younger days, some of us were lucky enough to not get caught. Laws vary by state, but depending on how fast you were going you may have trouble keeping your license after going to court. If your insurance is through your parents, you can count on the insurance company notifying your parents when they raise your rates. If nothing else, that is what will prevent you from hiding this. You may can buy yourself some time by waiting and seeing what happens, but you are likely somewhat better off to come clean up front. Good luck.
i was going 93 in a 55

OP
OP
Drix

Drix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
93 in a 55? RIP. Say bye to your car
it says method of release 200$ on all the 3 tickets does that mean i have to pay 200$ or 600$. My friends went to court for going 95 and it didnt go on his record because he had to take classes. what are the odds that i will have to do that.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
Every state is different. I am not familiar with IL, but whatever you do, plead NOT GUILTY. I would also hire an attorney. In Florida you can usually hire a traffic court attorney for around $150.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bite the bullet, pay whatever you end up getting fined and thank God you didn't hurt anyone, or worse in which case whatever trouble your in now would sound like a day at Disneyland.

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Coupe, 14' Accord Coupe v6 (RIP)
Country flag
If I were you, (which I was not too long ago)I'd get in touch with a law office. If you don't know someone in law, go online and look for an accredited one near you. Explain your situation in great detail. They may be able to assign a lawyer to go to your court hearing on your behalf. If all goes well, your record stays clean, but you have to pay the tickets plus the lawyer fees. Your motivation should be trying to save your driving record, and you, or your mom's insurance rate. Your 17, so I understand this is overwhelming. If you're not comfortable with what I just told you, apologize to your mom, take the L, and don't do it again.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Lots of bad advice being provided here. Don't plead shit until you talk to a lawyer. Also definitely talk to your parents.

Most likely it can be talked down to wreckless driving that can be washed with defensive driving and a year deferment (don't get another citation in a year and you're clear). With the cost of court and lawyer fees, and a small fine. Way better than a permanent marker on your record, especially at your age.

This of course depends heavily on your state and specific county laws and judges. A good lawyer and you could potentially walk away for being a teenage fucking moron that was lucky enough not to kill anyone.

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
you should have ran. 1 year and you already messing up.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
What made you hope you won't be caught? At your age with no experience you are so easy prey to predatory LEOs ...
I'm worried about you with this kind of pure naiveté.

Still, you are lucky it's not Virginia where for 93/55 they would give you capital punishment I believe.
I don't go there.

You need to decide yourself whether you want to get a lawyer. You will probably receive some letters from lawyers offering their services and telling you that you absolutely have to have a lawyer or else your life is over. I guess there is some potential to bargain here with these 3 tickets, so I would tend to get one - the cost shouldn't be too high compared to the whole.

If you don't want your parents to know.... which seems totally impossible - better be the first at the mailbox.

Last edited:

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
it says method of release 200$ on all the 3 tickets does that mean i have to pay 200$ or 600$. My friends went to court for going 95 and it didnt go on his record because he had to take classes. what are the odds that i will have to do that.
The odds somewhat depend on the solicitor and the judge you happen to have in your court on that day. They may or may not be open to working out a good deal, although usually they are. If you can afford an attorney without breaking the wallet too much, get one.

Absolutely tell your parents -- act more like an adult if you can, and own up to it; besides, they would likely help with the legal side of things. Expect your insurance rates to go way up, no matter how it turns out in court.

Good luck.

P. S. Life happens; this too shall pass... And yes, as others said, consider how very lucky you already are that no one got hurt. I have two teenage kids (one is 18/driving) and it's horrifying to hear the occasional news about some kids dying in car accidents...

P. P. S. Use this as your defense: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0928425710000240
(Kidding... Sort of...)

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Were you ticketed for reckless driving or just a speeding ticket? The consequences are very different, depending on the ticket.

Edit: Either way, I agree with all others GET A LAWYER. Even if the officer only ticketed you for speeding the Judge could view it differently. You are going to want legal representation to understand it all.

OP
OP
Drix

Drix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Were you ticketed for reckless driving or just a speeding ticket? The consequences are very different, depending on the ticket.

Edit: Either way, I agree with all others GET A LAWYER. Even if the officer only ticketed you for speeding the Judge could view it differently. You are going to want legal representation to understand it all.
he gave me 3 tickets for improper lane useage, speeding and following too close instead of reckless driving.
Sponsored