First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The early generation Cruze was not good. I had a 2012 Cruze. The coolant system had issues on a regular basis. Along, with a bunch of smaller problems. Going to a Civic, is like night and day. Everything is better.
I got a lot of shit from her when I switched to my Civic. It is foreign, and not a Chevy, etc. Well after a couple days in my car and me teaching her to drive a manual, she has changed her tune. She still loves her Cruze but has plans on buying a CW 10th gen manual now.
Sponsored

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
So far I love my Hondas. 57,000 miles and I've only had oil changes and a tire change.
57K miles on your Si? Wow. We bought ours around the same time (mine was Aug 2017) and I'm just about to hit 16K. Very impressive.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I know most here will have a Honda bias but I'd like to think I'm objective. And I'm old, not ancient, but older than most here. I started out driving American cars like a Barracuda and a Trans Am. Then I bought my first Honda. A first year CRX. Brilliant, fun little car. So much more reliable than that Pontiac. Next I bought an Acura Integra... wow what a screaming, rev happy engine and slick manual. After that, I bought my first Civic... a nice solid car but not nearly as fun as the 'tegra. But that was in the 90's. Honda to me was the best for the money, BY FAR.

My past couple cars were Korean (due to financial issues) and they surprised me how reliable they were. Coming from Hondas, I thought they'd suck. Maybe not the best suspensions but overall solid. Really strong brakes.

Which brings me to my 2017 Civic. Don't get me wrong, I love my car. It's just not the quantum leap in quality I expected over my Elantra GT and Forte SX. The Civic's thin, tin can hood drives me nuts when I wax my car. I actually stop waxing if someone walks by cause I'm embarrassed by the Jiffy Pop sounds the hood makes when I press lightly on it. :eek: Some of the body panel gaps are huge. Instead of the quality Michelins my older Hondas had, I get mediocre Firestones. Etcetera etcetera.

I think Honda still engineers a great, reliable car. But the other car companies have leveled the playing field a bit. Honda isn't as high up on the pedestal as it once was.

As far as people saying Toyota is #1. I'll give you they're reliable but I have zero interest in anything they sell.
The Koreans have been ultra aggressive on growing their business and establishing themselves. They hired an ex Audi guy to design the exterior and an ex-BMW guy for power-train on the new Stinger

https://www.businessinsider.com/kia-stinger-scare-bmw-and-audi-2017-1

OP
OP
NoHonor937

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
2nd car was an 86 CRX si which was sold at 240k. That Honda was awesome. I don’t have the same feeling with my sport hatch, but we’ll see how it turns out. If it hits 218k like my 06 cobalt (still driving and been super reliable) i’ll be happy.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If we're talking about unreliable cars, imagine being FCA. Their entire Fiat lineup is the automotive equivalent to the Swine flu, their Jeep lineup consists of SUV's that have the most unreliable engines/transmissions known to man, and Dodge is probably the most respectable in their lineup aside from them selling an SUV that was designed 10 years ago, a van that hasn't been refreshed since 2011, and their 2 performance cars being based on what is essentially a Mercedes E-Class from 24 years ago. Chrysler is also okay but then again they only sell 2 vehicles now. I'm going to make a bold claim and say that most car brands out there are pretty good in terms of reliability aside from the brands that I just mentioned, yes even Korean and German cars. We've come a long way and as a consumer I don't really think the stuff that applied 10 years ago applies anymore.
Man... I've been to a Dodge dealership maybe 3 or 4 times and actually wanted to give them a fair shake. I really took a hard look at a Charger R/T last year. Really. I just couldn't see where that 35k was going... I felt like I was paying by the pound, but not for any kind of quality whatsoever. I remember in and around 2005-2008 period going to one and looking at a few cars and, on a whim, test driving a Nitro (remember those?)
Honda Civic 10th gen God I love Honda civics. images

Kind of like a, pocket Hummer want-to-be (in appearance only, mind you). It has to be out all the dozens and dozens of different models I've driven the worst thing I've ever test driven. Unsorted suspension, steering like it had a worn rack from a 20 year old pickup truck, lowest rent interior I can ever remember seeing... and that's including all the 80s-90s GM I've endured. The weirdest damn knee buster lower dash I've gotten to kick.
When I was a kid I'd heard:
Honda Civic 10th gen God I love Honda civics. dodge-is-a-damn-fine-car-ran-over-my-wife-with-a-dodge

But I've just never experienced it. They are unique in that they offer a large car with the V8 engine that can serve as a family car at a low price point. Those same cars can get more powerful V8s to run a 9-10 in the quarter mile. So... I guess they can make a powerful engine, and they're a holdout choice if you have to have a large vehicle for a family but stick to a sedan or big coupe over getting a crossover/van. Past that, I don't see Dodges appeal that much. That 8 speed transmission did wonders to wring the power out of the V8, but I felt like I was in a bigger, optioned up Caliber. I really wanted to like it and was trying to convince myself a Scat Pack was worth a look... but I just couldn't do it. Perhaps they intentionally cheapened it out to not encroach on their Chryslers.

Last edited:

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
The Civic's thin, tin can hood drives me nuts when I wax my car.
This above all other complaints on body and finish is what pisses me off the most and almost singularly. I get trying to save weight but seriously! Make it out of Aluminum if you have to!

I think Honda still engineers a great, reliable car. But the other car companies have leveled the playing field a bit.
This is for sure with the Koreans. There are still a lot more overall issues with them than a Honda but they are not a Hyundai Pony from days of yore.

As far as people saying Toyota is #1. I'll give you they're reliable but I have zero interest in anything they sell.
Me neither. I think I had/have pointed out that if everyone was buying on reliability, then the world would basically be filled with boring Toyotas. People want a fun and attractive car and not just reliability. I basically had to buy the Civic that I last had due to the financial situation of suddenly finding out you need a "new" car RFN. I just needed something reasonable. This last time though, I knew the end for the 2001 Civic was coming and when it finally pooped, I was not under any time pressure. I wanted the Civic because it just looks better than the Corolla by a wide margin and is generally a lot more fun to drive.

I grew up around nothing by Detroit cars and trucks when I was a kid and I remember nothing but constant repairs being done by my father on them.. K-Cars, Dynasty, Dodge Ram with a slant 6, old Ford truck from the 70s. Just a constant trickle of this and that. So I went Honda and my wife was from a Subaru family. Other than her old Justy rusting away, it was never a headache.
Sponsored