Go to Honda dealership, or Acura where Civic was bought?

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
So, on October 24th, I bought a used 2016 Civic Ex with Sensing and 22,000 miles at an Acura dealership. The next day I noticed that Lane Keep Assist (LKAS) is not working. I still have warranty so I have brought it to a Honda dealership near me. They have checked it out twice and nothing. They are scheduled to keep it the entire day this Wednesday. If they can't fix it, should I try to bring it back to the the Acura dealership can fix it? Reasons: 1) The car came with a 90 day dealership specific limited warranty. 2) I figure LKAS is on Acuras also? 3) If they need to keep it for more than a day I assume I would be more likely to get a loaner which is really important since I have to drive to work.

What do you think? Should I stick with Honda or try my hand back at the Acura dealership where I purchased the car. The Honda dealership says they need to get on phone with Honda. I figure Acura is going to do the same thing.
Sponsored

Leonidas I

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic HBS
Country flag
So, on October 24th, I bought a used 2016 Civic Ex with Sensing and 22,000 miles at an Acura dealership. The next day I noticed that Lane Keep Assist (LKAS) is not working. I still have warranty so I have brought it to a Honda dealership near me. They have checked it out twice and nothing. They are scheduled to keep it the entire day this Wednesday. If they can't fix it, should I try to bring it back to the the Acura dealership can fix it? Reasons: 1) The car came with a 90 day dealership specific limited warranty. 2) I figure LKAS is on Acuras also? 3) If they need to keep it for more than a day I assume I would be more likely to get a loaner which is really important since I have to drive to work.

What do you think? Should I stick with Honda or try my hand back at the Acura dealership where I purchased the car. The Honda dealership says they need to get on phone with Honda. I figure Acura is going to do the same thing.
Not sure if you're aware of this but Acura is Honda's company so they're essentially the same. But my recommendation would be to take it back to the dealership you bought it from and see what they can do.

OP
OP

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Not sure if you're aware of this but Acura is Honda's company so they're essentially the same. But my recommendation would be to take it back to the dealership you bought it from and see what they can do.
Thanks for replying. I am sure am aware that they are the same company. I think I will take it back to the Acura dealership. Only problem it is further away, but I am hoping the service will be better. I would really need a loaner which is why I am opposed to dealing with the Honda dealership for now. I think the fix will take more than a day.

Last edited:

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
Be careful of your assumptions about warranty. As long as it's within the new vehicle warranty, you can have warranty repair done at any dealer. However, many dealers sell used vehicles with some kind of warranty but that is for that dealer only-it is not from a mfg.

OP
OP

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Be careful of your assumptions about warranty. As long as it's within the new vehicle warranty, you can have warranty repair done at any dealer. However, many dealers sell used vehicles with some kind of warranty but that is for that dealer only-it is not from a mfg.
This is my situation now. After bringing it to the Honda dealership they determined that while the car was not in any accidents, the windshield was replaced with different brand windshield. As a result, they told me i should bring it back to the Acura dealership to get the camera/system calibrated. The reality is that the windshield may need to be replaced then calibrated. That wouldn't be Honda's problem. Sounds like the Acura dealer's responsibility, would you say? I am waiting for the Acura sales manager to get back to me to discuss.

My reasoning. They sold me a a Civic with the sensing package, but the sensing package does not work because they sold me a car without first calibrating the system and or did not test it. That is false advertising, fraud (if they knew it), and just bad business.
One could argue it is used. But even if it is used things advertised have to work. THey should have replaced the windshield before selling it.

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
This is my situation now. After bringing it to the Honda dealership they determined that while the car was not in any accidents, the windshield was replaced with different brand windshield. As a result, they told me i should bring it back to the Acura dealership to get the camera/system calibrated. The reality is that the windshield may need to be replaced then calibrated. That wouldn't be Honda's problem. Sounds like the Acura dealer's responsibility, would you say? I am waiting for the Acura sales manager to get back to me to discuss.

My reasoning. They sold me a a Civic with the sensing package, but the sensing package does not work because they sold me a car without first calibrating the system and or did not test it. That is false advertising, fraud (if they knew it), and just bad business.
One could argue it is used. But even if it is used things advertised have to work. THey should have replaced the windshield before selling it.
My opinion is the problem belongs to the dealer that sold you the car. If it's a Honda dealer, then they should fix it. Is it fraud or false advertising? I wouldn't go that far. They offered a warranty, they should honor it. Again, it's the selling dealer's problem.

OP
OP

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
My opinion is the problem belongs to the dealer that sold you the car. If it's a Honda dealer, then they should fix it. Is it fraud or false advertising? I wouldn't go that far. They offered a warranty, they should honor it. Again, it's the selling dealer's problem.
They didn't offer a warranty apparently. When they learned the mileage was so low they took if off apparently.

OP
OP

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Was there an implied warranty when you purchased the car?
Yes. The person selling it to me had me read a 90 day limited powertrain warranty booklet as I was waiting for finance to agree on the price. It was in a manilla folder along with the keys and the carfax.

Since I last posted. The sales manager at Acura has gotten in contact with a "friend" who works at a Honda dealer in the area to attempt to re-calibrate the LKAS system for me. He said 90% of the time the recalibration works. My thing is what if is the replaced brand of windshield that is the problem. And the windshield needs to replaced THEN the system recalibrated?

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I recall reading other threads where the conventional wisdom is to only use OEM windshields with the Sensing Suite. There wasn't a 100% agreement opinion, though. Some folks have made aftermarket windshields work. But I believe that the Sensing System has a margin of error built in to the software so as not to be too sensitive. Using non-spec glass may narrow that margin.

So far as your case; the used car laws are very specific to each state. Most dealer repair situations that I have seen will always go for the cheapest option first. So I understand why they just want to recalibrate the thing. Maybe you could appeal to their good will and explain why using non-oem glass was just a bad, bad idea. Or maybe you could split the (wholesale) cost of a new windshield with them.

There's a guy, Steve Lehto, who is an Automotive Industry attorney in Michigan. He has many YouTube videos about buying used cars. Maybe one of his vids would provide some useful info. My gut feeling is that, in the eyes of the law, your car was sold 'as is' and their obligation to fix it is limited to repairing it to 'working order' or some legalese like that.

My only advice is to try and keep your cool and be nice. Hopefully they'll do the right thing.

Good luck.

OP
OP

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Maybe you could appeal to their good will and explain why using non-oem glass was just a bad, bad idea. Or maybe you could split the (wholesale) cost of a new windshield with them.

There's a guy, Steve Lehto, who is an Automotive Industry attorney in Michigan. He has many YouTube videos about buying used cars. Maybe one of his vids would provide some useful info. My gut feeling is that, in the eyes of the law, your car was sold 'as is' and their obligation to fix it is limited to repairing it to 'working order' or some legalese like that.

My only advice is to try and keep your cool and be nice. Hopefully they'll do the right thing.

Good luck.
You are right. The general sales manager did essentially say they sold the car as is. There only obligation is to bring it up to state inspection standards (Maryland). So the Acura sales manager connecting me to a Honda service manager is him doing a good will act essentially.
You are right about keeping my cool and being nice. I'd rather have the windshield price taken out of the price of the car. I can't afford and out of pocket windishield (isn't it $700+?) AND then pay for a recalibration on top of that. I will wait and see. Thanks for the clear advice.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
You are right. The general sales manager did essentially say they sold the car as is. There only obligation is to bring it up to state inspection standards (Maryland). So the Acura sales manager connecting me to a Honda service manager is him doing a good will act essentially.
You are right about keeping my cool and being nice. I'd rather have the windshield price taken out of the price of the car. I can't afford and out of pocket windishield (isn't it $700+?) AND then pay for a recalibration on top of that. I will wait and see. Thanks for the clear advice.
Did you ever get this fixed?

OP
OP

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Did you ever get this fixed?
No. The Acura dealer manager somehow can't get in touch with his friend at a Honda dealer anymore who was going to recalibrate. I have a feeling it won't work after the recalibration but on principle I wanted them to try. Frustrating the Acura dealer is dragging his feet. But he is/was just doing me as supposed favor as the car was sold "As is."

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
No. The Acura dealer manager somehow can't get in touch with his friend at a Honda dealer anymore who was going to recalibrate. I have a feeling it won't work after the recalibration but on principle I wanted them to try. Frustrating the Acura dealer is dragging his feet. But he is/was just doing me as supposed favor as the car was sold "As is."
Could you go any higher up the chain? It sucks that the dealer seems like they're trying not to do it and hope you give up.

OP
OP

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Could you go any higher up the chain? It sucks that the dealer seems like they're trying not to do it and hope you give up.
That is exactly what it seems like. However, I am not sure who is next to go up on the chain? He is the general used car sales manager of the dealership. Also, if cars are really sold as is then he may be doing me a favor by attempting to contact Honda. The windshield may be the replaced windshield may be the issue. That would be an as-is problem right? If you or anyone can provide any insight to who you would go to next that would help.
Sponsored