Of course they are genuine Honda parts :p
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181127_230431

Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181127_230746
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181127_230755

These are the Toyota plugs I mentioned earlier
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181127_230616
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181127_230634
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181127_230652

First, start with that ambient kit(foot well) extends to the back seat project, as you can see, they look very close (34760-TL0-G01 vs Toyota plug) too bad the direction is not correct, but I can see some cutting on the plug can make them a good match, trim off the side the stick out on the plug, and the clipping part can probably hold to the light assembly perfectly!
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181127_231138

Then, the glove box light assembly
Plug and the wire is a perfect match
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181127_231420

Shots of the light assembly itself
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181127_231436
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181127_231448

And the plug goes in perfectly as well :)
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181127_231518

Getting late now, plus I don't have the posi taps ready yet, but I I've tested it with the phone portable charger, it lights up just like how it should, the next step will be to test fit it, get the right screws and find the right power source, I've been thinking about these options:
- tapping it to my door ambient kit (lights up when the car is on), or
- tapping it to the foot well ambient kit (lights up when the headlight is on), or
- run it all the way to the fuse box and get tap to the brake light fuse, so it will constantly on
* and of course the glove box light should be off when the switch is pushed no matter which options I choose

OP
OP
yhkwok

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Galant ES 2.4, 18 Sienna XLE (FWD), 18 FK7 ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whats the part number for the damper that fits the 2016 civic?
That I'm still investigating... Still asking Stephen about it, and possibly the one on the graph he posted is only for RHD models, that means we need someone who has access to a LHD graph that is not a USDM... Or I just have this idea earlier this morning (and pm-ed Stephen), what if that RHD damper is shared in other models, like perhaps the RHD CRV, then likely the LHD CRV damper would work for us, just my guess

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I must say that the glove boxes in my 09 CR-V feel like luxury after contact with the cheap flimsy snappy civic version. And the CR-V has two of them, one over the other, which is just some kind of wonderful.

I normally avoid using the word "should," as I'm not a millenial, :D but.........
I don't know about the :puke:lowly lesser trims, but the :bow:Tourings definitely should be lighted and damped...:yes:

OP
OP
yhkwok

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I must say that the glove boxes in my 09 CR-V feel like luxury after contact with the cheap flimsy snappy civic version. And the CR-V has two of them, one over the other, which is just some kind of wonderful.

I normally avoid using the word "should," as I'm not a millenial, :D but.........
I don't know about the :puke:lowly lesser trims, but the :bow:Tourings definitely should be lighted and damped...:yes:
Haha, for myself, I don't really go for the luxury, but rather I'm kinda expecting these in a modern car, seeing these empty spots and holes on the glove box panels just bugs me, almost feels like the car is designed to have that, but some geniuses decided to take it out just because they want to lower the "class" and price of the car, and compare with other accessories, these are not expensive parts at all, what benefit does it really make? Anyway, I see these as "correction" to the car lol

OP
OP
yhkwok

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Time to make a conclusion :headbang:
(At least on the main topic)
It's snowing here in Utah, but not in my garage, so I decided to take action on the glove box light today.

These are what has been used in this project:
- The glove box light assembly from a 07 CRV (34254-SWA-003) <-- got to give credit to stephenmeadow
- The Plug that works with the light assembly (04321-SH2-307)
- The wires that work with the plug (04320-SP0-A00)
- Some 14 gauges wire to extend
- (Your own method to connect 2 wires)
- Ground ring
- 1 Add-a-circuit tap
- Electric tap to cover every potentially exposed wire, except the plug
- 2 Screws
- Phillips screwdriver
- A thin stick
- 10mm socket + wrench (to work on the ground)

Following the instructions from other kits (like the door liner illumination, and ambient kit), take the glove box and the back panel out, and this is how a hatchback back panel looks like:
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_193850

A side note, still on the back side, and this seems to be where the glove box damper could mount on, again, still need to investigate the right part number.
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_195648

Let test fit it~ As expected, it fits perfectly
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_193913
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_193926

Too bad I've forgot to order some screws together, so I have to dig through my piles of used parts and find something useful here, and here we are
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_195533

Can't recall which kit was it from, but screws are just screws, here is a measure, and this one fits right in.
Or perhaps I should clarify, the hole on the panel was not threaded, so technically you can put any screws that aren't too big in, only this one I feel most comfortable :)

Since I have full access now, it's the best time to swap it to LED :p (just a typical T10)
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_195909

Isn't that sweet?
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_200002

Secure the light assembly, and while I'm on this step, I realized the plug needs to be locked, I guess it is to secure the wires
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_200243
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_201356

The wire is likely not gonna be long enough, so I got myself some 14 gauges wire from O'Reilly, set up the ground (note that the other wire is NOT connected to the ground here, it's to be extended to the glove box on the driver's side)
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_203908

Then run the other wire to the driver's side through the tiny area behind the climate control. I was too lazy to take the climate control out, so I just find a stick (like a balloon stick) and attach one end of the wire on with tape, and move it over towards the light......
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_205651
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_205725

Didn't take a picture for the fuse box, but what I do here is run the wire over, end the wire with an add-a-circuit tap, I put a 10A fuse on this circuit, and tapped it on fuse number 10 (20A), and it should be labeled as "rear accessory", now I ask, where is this rear accessory?? LOL
I was a bit regret on choosing that slot because I want it to have power all the time, just like the map light, trunk light, and brake light, or in other words, I don't want it not functioning when the car is off. Well, it surprised me, this slot number 10 does what I want, when I take these shot below, the car is off, so I think that's a success:love:
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_212841
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_212900
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_213356

While I'm here, one more shot of the clues of the glove box damper
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 20181202_212918

*update: car starts right up this morning, so power drain is not an issue here :)

Last edited:

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I was looking at the 2019 civic parts catalog and the new led glove box light is just the same as the one they use for the optional interior illumination. Probably mounted in a similar fashion.

OP
OP
yhkwok

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was looking at the 2019 civic parts catalog and the new led glove box light is just the same as the one they use for the optional interior illumination. Probably mounted in a similar fashion.
I'm kinda doubting that light is made to be a glove box light (you mean 34760-TY2-A01 right?) because if that's the one, a switch of some kind needs to be there too or it really would drain the car's battery, unless if it turns off with the car...

But the real purpose of that light assembly (if not for the glove box) is still a mystery since the ambient kit is still available as an optional accessory, I don't see why Honda would make the ambient light standard there... What else needs to be lighted there?
While we are on this, I also see that 34760-TY2-A01 is different from the one in the ambient kits made for Civic X, the light assembly made for Civic X should be 08E10-TEA-DM001.
From observation (since I had hands-on experience from both of them lately), 34760-TY2-A01 uses a 2 pins connector, but 08E10-TEA-DM001 uses a 4 pins connector instead, I'm guessing that may have something to do with the dimming function? Can't recall how many pins are inside the 08E10-TEA-DM001 though...

Off topic: the Clarity is even more confusing, it has two light assemblies in the same graph (#1 & 2), with the prices that are like 10 times different
http://hondapartsnetwork.com/assemb...ssion-Instrument-Panel-Garnish-Passenger-Side

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
It's so low power and heat there would be a case no switch is needed for a led. Not sure really How Honda has it set up yet.. I have an aftermarket led installed for my glove box light and there is no light leakage when the box is closed. just comes on and off with the headlights.

OP
OP
yhkwok

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's so low power and heat there would be a case no switch is needed for a led. Not sure really How Honda has it set up yet.. I have an aftermarket led installed for my glove box light and there is no light leakage when the box is closed. just comes on and off with the headlights.
That would be an easy route, since the headlight is auto (at least mine is), pretty sure this way wouldn't drain the battery

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those came in optional ambient lighting kit for the foot well should be similar unit, but comes with different mounting method.

Those come standard are made to install by twisting the unit, while those come in ambient lighting kit need a self taping screw to secure it since it's hard to fabricate a hole with tabs for locking.

Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods IMG_2808

Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods p2

OP
OP
yhkwok

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those came in optional ambient lighting kit for the foot well should be similar unit, but comes with different mounting method.

Those come standard are made to install by twisting the unit, while those come in ambient lighting kit need a self taping screw to secure it since it's hard to fabricate a hole with tabs for locking.

IMG_2808.jpg

p2.jpg
It makes a lot more sense, so is that mean some model like perhaps the touring sedan have the standard light (twist in one's) and the option one is for those not having it standard?

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I think so. In my ambient light kit in my car - the dealer drilled a hole properly and installed a self tapping screw.

Someone needs to just go to the dealer and take some pictures! haha

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It makes a lot more sense, so is that mean some model like perhaps the touring sedan have the standard light (twist in one's) and the option one is for those not having it standard?
I'm not in the states, so I'm not sure how things go on the touring. Mine has a standard ambient light in the storage compartment aka charging station right below the climate control.

The ambient lighting on foot well are standard on Acura and some higher trims of Honda in Asia, but I am not sure about the civic in US. You can tell by doing a search over the part list on any selected trim, if the part doesn't pop up on the trim you choose, then it's not equipped with it.

The cover I shown is a picture of GK5 Fit in Japan, but I'm not sure which cover.

I'm pretty sure the 2019 civic in US is going to have a twisting slot in the back cover (77512-TBA-A21) of the glove box because the part number is different from 16-18. 2019 civic is using the twist to lock ambient unit 34760-TY2-A01, not the switch type like the UK aka the one you installed.

OP
OP
yhkwok

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not in the states, so I'm not sure how things go on the touring. Mine has a standard ambient light in the storage compartment aka charging station right below the climate control.

The ambient lighting on foot well are standard on Acura and some higher trims of Honda in Asia, but I am not sure about the civic in US. You can tell by doing a search over the part list on any selected trim, if the part doesn't pop up on the trim you choose, then it's not equipped with it.

The cover I shown is a picture of GK5 Fit in Japan, but I'm not sure which cover.

I'm pretty sure the 2019 civic in US is going to have a twisting slot in the back cover (77512-TBA-A21) of the glove box because the part number is different from 16-18. 2019 civic is using the twist to lock ambient unit 34760-TY2-A01, not the switch type like the UK aka the one you installed.
I think I'd prefer this twist version if I have a choice haha, makes any maintenance easier
Sponsored