Getting raced at stoplights

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Weird. I've noticed lately that a bunch of prior generation Civics are racing me off the line at stoplights. Modded ones, stock, you name it. Never really had any other 10th gens do this.

And I don't mean like they're slowly pulling away. I mean like they're chirping the tires and flooring it to overtake me. I had a modded 7th gen Si coupe (with mismatched panels) on the highway crawl up to me and then hear him downshift and hauling with his exhaust buzzing. I was tempted to play but it was rush hour and he was driving crazy swerving in and out cutting people off. So fts.

Maybe it's just a fluke but who knows.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Weird. I've noticed lately that a bunch of prior generation Civics are racing me off the line at stoplights. Modded ones, stock, you name it. Never really had any other 10th gens do this.

And I don't mean like they're slowly pulling away. I mean like they're chirping the tires and flooring it to overtake me. I had a modded 7th gen Si coupe (with mismatched panels) on the highway crawl up to me and then hear him downshift and hauling with his exhaust buzzing. I was tempted to play but it was rush hour and he was driving crazy swerving in and out cutting people off. So fts.

Maybe it's just a fluke but who knows.
Whenever I get the "Challenge" to race from a stop light -- I ALWAYS WIN :drive:

Because I pull away slowly, while they burn rubber and look stupid -- I know I would probably win and I am happy just knowing that .. but they will never know if they would have beaten me, because I did not race them. :lol:

Warning:"Language" !!!

stupid is as stupid does

Last edited:

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had a Cruze get humiliated yesterday - I was like seriously? It had some sort of mod (exhaust obviously), so I obliged.

Like you said, it sets the stage anytime, without even trying.

2017touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring (Black on Black); 2018 Mustang GT
Country flag
My fun car is a 2018 Mustang GT in orange color so it stands out. I cannot tell you how many folks want to race; everyone and their moma is jumping on the throttle so I would take the bite for a race. I don't because its usually traffic around and I am not risking my safety for anyone. I do get a chuckle out of it because its usually Camrys. Accrods. Altimas, V6 Chargers/Challengers and trucks trying to race.

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's the deal; it's not really a race if you're not engaging back. It's just the other drivers being dicks. Don't worry about it. You do you, man. When I'm driving, safety is my first concern. My 2nd is catching what's being said on my audio book or podcast.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
When there is an injury; the ER docs explain this as Testosterone Poisoning. Just say no.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have people trying to race me all the time, Must come with owning a civic. At this point that is the only conclusion I have come to.
I really feel it's the aggressive look of the car itself, plus people who dont own them may have heard they aren't as slow as they believed. Car has been out over 4 years now and i still see people looking at this car.

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really feel it's the aggressive look of the car itself, plus people who dont own them may have heard they aren't as slow as they believed. Car has been out over 4 years now and i still see people looking at this car.
I had this with a SI bout last month around like early 5am in the morning on my way to work. Don't know if he wanted to throw down, because I have tinted windows and so did he. But as soon as it turned green, he gunned it. Now if I was on my bike, thats a different story, always down for a little fun. But true, comparing 10th gen to the 9th gen, Honda really made it more "noticeable".

Last edited:

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the red splitters all the way around and the OEM optioned spoiler. Makes my car stand out even more and people always comment on it being a race car. Honestly, it's all stock, aside from my smoked side markers. lol I have a few people per week launch it at stop lights and signs. They slow down and look at me like they beat me at something other than being stupid.

https://imgur.com/a/JgxH01o

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I had a Cruze get humiliated yesterday - I was like seriously? It had some sort of mod (exhaust obviously), so I obliged.

Like you said, it sets the stage anytime, without even trying.
haha. Cruze drivers a the worst kinds of people. They always do this to me too and I just don’t get. I don’t engage with them any more, but they always got smoked.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So at this point I have a few visual mods that I thought would make people be itching to race every time I'm at a red light, but I haven't had much of anyone. Really, the only 2 I've had was an STI on the Thruway on a long late night drive just screwing around with rolling pulls, etc, and then a 328i who just wanted to go because he was a co-worker visiting from a nearby facility, and we have a nice two lane straight shot at a red light as you go to the highway. But other than that, I surprisingly have not had anyone looking to send it. Interesting that you guys, especially with coupes/sedans/hatches without mods that scream "RACE ME!!" (Like the glaring type R wing on mine), are the ones seeing the most action. Very interesting.

I should just throw in there that it is Rochester NY, and that I haven't had the car in the nicer months - Got it this past August. So that might have something to do with it, but still...

Edit: I should elaborate on the "RACE ME!!" stuff - the other big category I meant but didn't add initially is any aftermarket performance stickers. Kinda goes without saying, but if you see a civic with PRL and Ktuner stickers they're probably willing to have a little fun lol. Maybe I'm just writing this stuff from my point of view on what makes a car stand out to the extent that people want to race at a stop light, but I pretty much never feel the need to race anyone so I feel it's a fairly objective view.

Last edited:
OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You guys brought up the looks of the Civic and I recently did install a duckbill spoiler that, I guess, enhances the racing look... There may be some validity to the recent surge of stoplight racers.

And yeah, @PEPSIFLAME, I’m pretty much done with pointless racing particularly when I know the other car’s performance. Cruz drivers are notorious for their wanna-be racing ways around here. I mostly ignore them. But the recent spate of older gen Civics just happen to catch my attention.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I'll only participate when the roads are clear enough to be safe but I haven't had a lot of engagement either, maybe just 2 or 3 others. One, a Veloster, one an 8th or 9th gen Civic, and one where I played a little but got blown away by a Cadillac ATS (I think? Coupe, tall ass end, and mean growl).

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You guys brought up the looks of the Civic and I recently did install a duckbill spoiler that, I guess, enhances the racing look... There may be some validity to the recent surge of stoplight racers.
Yep. Three, count 'em ... 3 rear spoilers will do that. :drive:

On a similar note, I get challenged more on the highway ever since I added the two stainless steel exhaust tips.
Sponsored