Getting new wheels for my civic hatchfor the summer season.

RICEHUNT3R

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback (LX Canadian spec)
Country flag
Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if I can fit new summer performance tires on my 2018 honda civic hatchback lx (Canadian spec). Currently the tires are Michelin X-ice XI3 on the OEM 16 inch rims, 215/55/R16 which they are really wide for 215's.

I'm looking to install myself, since I'm a auto/tire technician, new summers in the size of 245/45/R17 or 245/45/R18.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone with experience of doing this to their civic and how it turned out to look, I dont want to risk a bad fitment.

And also which tires and rims should I get thanks.

Sincerely: Andrei (RiceHunt3r)
Sponsored

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Check the Wheels & Tires subforum --
https://www.civicx.com/forums/wheels-tires.16/

Also --

Tire Rack is still the go-to for quickly finding wheels that would fit. You don't even have to buy from them if all you want to do is see what sizes you can choose from.
www.tirerack.com

Bookmark this page to compare stock with any desired wheel & tire size:
https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

245/45-18 has a pretty thick sidewall compared to the stock Sport/Si size of 235/40-18. If you want 245-width tires on 18" wheels, choose either 245/40 or 245/35 (I'd suggest 245/40).

OP
OP

RICEHUNT3R

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tnx,

I've decided to go with 245/45/R17 and my rims are going to be the motegi racing mr116 rims. Imo they look great and many people love the way they look. I also managed to get a good deal, so I might pull the trigger.

I just have one question, the rims are 17x7, and from my experience 7 inch wide rims mean, tires in the width between 215-235 to be safe. Do you think it would be risking it to put a 245/45/17 tire on a rim which is only 17x7? Would likr to know.

And also I would like to know what's a good performance summer tire for my car since I'm planning some big change for her in the near future.

Tnx again

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
Looks like a 7.5" width is the minimum manufacturer recommended for that tire size.

That being said, I've run a 215 wide summer tire on a 4" wide motorcycle wheel and aside from looking funny seemed reliable.

The load applied to the sidewall/bead from a motorcycle is way less than the load applied by a car, though.

I think it would probably end up alright but might look kinda funny.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I'm weird. I get that 245/45-17 will look meaty and handle well. But I think the negatives outweigh the positives.

Possible wheel rub under load, more unsprung weight, high cost. But hey, it's what you want.

Last edited:

PaulME

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe, 2017 CRV, 2002 Mercedes E320 wagon, 2001 E320 Wagon, 2002 E320 sedan, 1986 944T, 1972 land Rover
Country flag
Um you are doing this yourself since you state you are an auto/TIRE tech. Then you are asking absolutely basic questions about fitment that 10 min of searching by a non tech would answer???

Just seemed weird to me, asking for confirmation is fine but since you stated your qualification it seems weird.

OP
OP

RICEHUNT3R

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Um you are doing this yourself since you state you are an auto/TIRE tech. Then you are asking absolutely basic questions about fitment that 10 min of searching by a non tech would answer???

Just seemed weird to me, asking for confirmation is fine but since you stated your qualification it seems weird.

I just wanted to see what others would say, and from experience I know that a 245/45/17 needs at least a 8 inch wide rim. But I do like meaty looks on tires, and from using that link earlier I know that actually I will not be rubbing tires under load. And the biggest difference would be only that the tires would be sticking out by 1.2 inches more then the OEM set I have right now.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Get 8" wide wheels. OEM for the Spot/Si is 8" wide and they run 235-width tires; the Type-R has wider rims for its 245s, I think.

tdw

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I agree with the others, 7" wide rims are too narrow for 245 wheels.
So I'm also thinking of getting a second set of wheels and tires for Autocross. I'm thinking 17X8 +45 16# rims wrapped up in 245/45-18 RE11's. Can anyone here with autocross experience tell me if I'm heading in the right direction?
Sponsored