Getting my new 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Plus in a Week!

DarkKitarist

Hyped for Cyberpunk 2077
First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kaihatsu-sha.eu
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport Plus 2020 (Her name is V)
Country flag
I have been waiting for my Civic for about 7 months, actually it'll be 7 months next week when I get it probably on the 3rd of December... It has been a long damn wait, but I cannot wait to start driving :)

So I do have a couple of questions aside from just wanting to share my unbridled happiness with y'all.

1. Once I get the car aside from waiting on the OIL temp to get to where it should be is there a 500-1000km break in period before I can floor it to the max?
2. I do want to start tuning almost right away, so here are some questions I have about that:
3. If I understand the whole Type R badge/Red H Badges consensus correctly i can add red badges to the front and the rear but I'm not allowed to add a Type R badge right?
4. Are mugen badges OK? Or is it the same? I will probably buy that Mugen Exhaust for the Civic which looks excellent but that's in a couple of years, still want the badge tho...
5. I have an EU Civic Sport Plus Hatch so in my package I also get a Dynamic Suspension Button, which stiffens the suspension once pressed. Are there any coil-overs and springs which will still work once I replace them?
6. Are there any good roof mounted bicycle racks that use suction cups? Are suction cup car racks even a thing? I have a small problem which I just figured out, apparently the EU version moonroof is a lot bigger and covers the whole roof, thus I don't have those latches to latch a rack on that, also since I have a double exhaust I cannot add a rear mounted rack. Is there a rear mounted rack for double exhaust Civics?

Thanks for the answers,

DK
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can only answer a few of your questions, but yes there is a break in period before you can start flooring it. It's in the manual but iirc, it's 600 miles.
As for type R badges, it's your car and you are allowed to do what you want, but why put a type R badge on if it's not a type R?? Same with the Mugen badges.
Sorry but I can be of no help with the other stuff as I'm not tuned.

javi7t8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Trans Am, 2019 Sport Hatchback LSM
Country flag
....whats a sport plus? like the sport touring model you mean?

OP
OP
DarkKitarist

DarkKitarist

Hyped for Cyberpunk 2077
First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kaihatsu-sha.eu
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can only answer a few of your questions, but yes there is a break in period before you can start flooring it. It's in the manual but iirc, it's 600 miles.
As for type R badges, it's your car and you are allowed to do what you want, but why put a type R badge on if it's not a type R?? Same with the Mugen badges.
Sorry but I can be of no help with the other stuff as I'm not tuned.
I really like the red of the badges :p I'm not really into the whole motorsport thing although I do respect the meaning and history behind Honda's racing history, same with Mugen. As for why I'd like to have Mugen badges it's because I love Japanese writing and the Mugen badge I'm looking at has red Japanese Lettering (similar to the R in the Type R badge).

....whats a sport plus? like the sport touring model you mean?
Sport Plus is a special version for the EU market (not sure if it's in all EU countries, sure for UK and DE). Here's some differences:
  • we get all of the Sport stuff visuals,
  • we get all of the Honda Sensing stuff,
  • we get the full LED headlights, and even LED fog-lights,
  • we get 8-way adjustable seats (6-way on the passenger side),
  • we get the premium sound system (11-speakers), but we do NOT get the subwoofer,
  • we also get Navigation and the Wireless Charging pad
  • our moon roof is bigger on the inside and covers over half of the roof (so the roof looks like it's completely black in front),
  • we get a button which makes our suspension "Dynamic" (whatever that means),
  • we also get an additional button which turns off/on the Automatic Engine Start/Stop which I don't see in many Honda Civic Sport Touring 2020 model reviews on YouTube
  • we don't get leather seats (which is excellent),
  • we don't get lane watch but we do get Blind Spot Monitoring and Oncoming Traffic Monitoring (or something like that, when you're parked and you're starting to go back the car will automatically stop if it detects a car coming from one side.)
  • we get the rear view mirror that auto tints and has those buttons for garage doors and so on.
  • Instead of 18" rims we get 17" ones in all packages (18" are one of the only options you can select)
  • we also do not get rear seat heating
  • we do not get a spare tire, but a patch kit (no matter the Package, but it's available as an option)
Aside form the above the only additional options I added are the bigger spoiler and all the LED ambient lights (Doors, Footwell, middle console, and a big red CIVIC LED when you open the door).

We have an additional package level which is Premium, but this removes ALL the Sports visuals and adds Leather (which I do not like).

I might have forgotten something, but these are the differences I've noticed while watching all the US/CA reviews of the 2020 Civic Sport/Sport Touring Hatch.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really like the red of the badges :p I'm not really into the whole motorsport thing although I do respect the meaning and history behind Honda's racing history, same with Mugen. As for why I'd like to have Mugen badges it's because I love Japanese writing and the Mugen badge I'm looking at has red Japanese Lettering (similar to the R in the Type R badge).

Sport Plus is a special version for the EU market (not sure if it's in all EU countries, sure for UK and DE). Here's some differences:
  • we get all of the Sport stuff visuals,
  • we get all of the Honda Sensing stuff,
  • we get the full LED headlights, and even LED fog-lights,
  • we get 8-way adjustable seats (6-way on the passenger side),
  • we get the premium sound system (11-speakers), but we do NOT get the subwoofer,
  • we also get Navigation and the Wireless Charging pad
  • our moon roof is bigger on the inside and covers over half of the roof (so the roof looks like it's completely black in front),
  • we get a button which makes our suspension "Dynamic" (whatever that means),
  • we also get an additional button which turns off/on the Automatic Engine Start/Stop which I don't see in many Honda Civic Sport Touring 2020 model reviews on YouTube
  • we don't get leather seats (which is excellent),
  • we don't get lane watch but we do get Blind Spot Monitoring and Oncoming Traffic Monitoring (or something like that, when you're parked and you're starting to go back the car will automatically stop if it detects a car coming from one side.)
  • we get the rear view mirror that auto tints and has those buttons for garage doors and so on.
  • Instead of 18" rims we get 17" ones in all packages (18" are one of the only options you can select)
  • we also do not get rear seat heating
  • we do not get a spare tire, but a patch kit (no matter the Package, but it's available as an option)
Aside form the above the only additional options I added are the bigger spoiler and all the LED ambient lights (Doors, Footwell, middle console, and a big red CIVIC LED when you open the door).

We have an additional package level which is Premium, but this removes ALL the Sports visuals and adds Leather (which I do not like).

I might have forgotten something, but these are the differences I've noticed while watching all the US/CA reviews of the 2020 Civic Sport/Sport Touring Hatch.
Yea,the red badges are cool, I meant putting on the badge with the actual R on. I also love the Japanese writing and stuff. Here is a prototype of the plate on front of my car. This looks crappy but I had to work it up with spray cans and tape, don't have my airbrush stuff any longer lol
Honda Civic 10th gen Getting my new 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Plus in a Week! IMG_20170217_012155

Actual plate came out better but I don't have a closer pic .
Honda Civic 10th gen Getting my new 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Plus in a Week! IMG_20170217_012155

Honda Civic 10th gen Getting my new 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Plus in a Week! IMG_20191009_155932385

Last edited:
OP
OP
DarkKitarist

DarkKitarist

Hyped for Cyberpunk 2077
First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kaihatsu-sha.eu
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow! Legit awesome looking plate! Wait... Can you drive with these plates legally?

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have been waiting for my Civic for about 7 months, actually it'll be 7 months next week when I get it probably on the 3rd of December... It has been a long damn wait, but I cannot wait to start driving :)

So I do have a couple of questions aside from just wanting to share my unbridled happiness with y'all.

1. Once I get the car aside from waiting on the OIL temp to get to where it should be is there a 500-1000km break in period before I can floor it to the max?
2. I do want to start tuning almost right away, so here are some questions I have about that:
3. If I understand the whole Type R badge/Red H Badges consensus correctly i can add red badges to the front and the rear but I'm not allowed to add a Type R badge right?
4. Are mugen badges OK? Or is it the same? I will probably buy that Mugen Exhaust for the Civic which looks excellent but that's in a couple of years, still want the badge tho...
5. I have an EU Civic Sport Plus Hatch so in my package I also get a Dynamic Suspension Button, which stiffens the suspension once pressed. Are there any coil-overs and springs which will still work once I replace them?
6. Are there any good roof mounted bicycle racks that use suction cups? Are suction cup car racks even a thing? I have a small problem which I just figured out, apparently the EU version moonroof is a lot bigger and covers the whole roof, thus I don't have those latches to latch a rack on that, also since I have a double exhaust I cannot add a rear mounted rack. Is there a rear mounted rack for double exhaust Civics?

Thanks for the answers,

DK
I can provide some insight on the first two questions.

1) I usually let my turbocharged cars warm up for 30 seconds or so, and let them idle for about 30 seconds before I shut the ignition down. IMO there's no need to wait for the car to warm up before you start driving, as long as you wait until the car reaches optimal temps before pushing it, assuming that's what you mean by the oil temp. As for the break in, Honda recommended to me when i get my Civic Si this Saturday (no different than when I had my 16 Touring) to take it easy on it for the first 1,000 km or 600 miles before I start going nuts.
2) 19 inch wheels will have a stiffer and more harsh ride on the civic due to the diameter of the wheel and the shorter sidewall of the tires, so you probably will feel it quite a lot. I felt it when i upgraded from 17's to 18's on my Touring when I had it. Make sure you get some good tires and you should be fine but just be aware that potholes and major bumps in the road won't be too forgiving.
The 2019 should be identical to the 2020 in terms of drivetrain but I would contact Hondata about this to see if you can use the tune from the 2019 if they do not have an ETA for the 2020. If you're looking at 250whp, you will probably have some long term negative affects on the CVT. Whether you'll see problems right away or later on depends on your driving and how conservative you are, but you're tuning, I'm guessing you probably won't be driving that way very much. I would've opted for a 6MT if you're looking to get into serious tuning, provided that was even an option for you.

As for the badges, I think Type R or Mugen badges would look tacky on a car that wasn't so. In other words, if it ain't a Type R, why put Type R badges? That's just me, but you do you.

OP
OP
DarkKitarist

DarkKitarist

Hyped for Cyberpunk 2077
First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kaihatsu-sha.eu
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can provide some insight on the first two questions.

1) I usually let my turbocharged cars warm up for 30 seconds or so, and let them idle for about 30 seconds before I shut the ignition down. IMO there's no need to wait for the car to warm up before you start driving, as long as you wait until the car reaches optimal temps before pushing it, assuming that's what you mean by the oil temp. As for the break in, Honda recommended to me when i get my Civic Si this Saturday (no different than when I had my 16 Touring) to take it easy on it for the first 1,000 km or 600 miles before I start going nuts.
2) 19 inch wheels will have a stiffer and more harsh ride on the civic due to the diameter of the wheel and the shorter sidewall of the tires, so you probably will feel it quite a lot. I felt it when i upgraded from 17's to 18's on my Touring when I had it. Make sure you get some good tires and you should be fine but just be aware that potholes and major bumps in the road won't be too forgiving.
The 2019 should be identical to the 2020 in terms of drivetrain but I would contact Hondata about this to see if you can use the tune from the 2019 if they do not have an ETA for the 2020. If you're looking at 250whp, you will probably have some long term negative affects on the CVT. Whether you'll see problems right away or later on depends on your driving and how conservative you are, but you're tuning, I'm guessing you probably won't be driving that way very much. I would've opted for a 6MT if you're looking to get into serious tuning, provided that was even an option for you.

As for the badges, I think Type R or Mugen badges would look tacky on a car that wasn't so. In other words, if it ain't a Type R, why put Type R badges? That's just me, but you do you.
Well when I ordered the car in May I wasn't given a choice because the Honda Dealer didn't have all the information on the upcoming 2020 models, he just told me that I can chose to have the same trim level with all the additional stuff that will come with the 2020 model (once they were actually released). In May they had little to NO information on what changes will be coming in the refresh. So yeah a little bummed now, but my wife will be happy she gets to drive an automatic, so you win some and you lose some. As for the hondata stuff, from what I've gathered on the interwebs the old 2019 profiles will not work on the current 2020 ECU, so I'll just wait and drive the car Vanilla for a time. Still working on the vinyl design with my wife so when that's ready I'll start doing actual tuning stuff.

OK so yeah staying with 18" wheels and not even thinking about 19" anymore, thanks for the explanation, my wife would literally kill me if I made the car super stiff and super hard on her back. That being said the EU version of the Sport Plus (which is kinda the sport Touring in the US and Canada) has a "Dynamic Suspension Button" so you don't have to change your rims to have a super hard drive :p

And as for the Type R badges... I literally just like the look same with the Mugen one, but since I do respect the general opinion on the badges I will not slap a Type R badge on my car ever. BUT I will slap a Mugen badge onto my car, but only AFTER I get the exhaust system from them, this way my conscience will be clear :) And since the whole car will be partially vinyl wrapped in a Cyberpunk 2077 themed vinyl I think that the Mugen badge will actually look good on the back and will actually be part of the theme of the car like the license plates I already got for the car (GO <city crest, which is a single red rose> CYB3R).

javi7t8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Trans Am, 2019 Sport Hatchback LSM
Country flag
can you send a pic of that roof tho? lol i think i have seen it before, looks almost like a panoramic roof if i am not mistaken

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Thats gonna be an awesome ride!
-Give it 600 miles before you go hard.
-Most of us find type r badges (not the red honda logo) embarrassing. There is a guy in my town that did this with a white hatch... People who know laugh. But its your car man, your call!
-19" rims seem a bit heavy for this platform. But if you like the look and can handle the performance hit, more power to you!

OP
OP
DarkKitarist

DarkKitarist

Hyped for Cyberpunk 2077
First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kaihatsu-sha.eu
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
can you send a pic of that roof tho? lol i think i have seen it before, looks almost like a panoramic roof if i am not mistaken
I will post pictures right when I get it :p Still driving the Mitsubishi PHEV they gave me because of the delay. It's a good car, just WAY to massive for my taste, it's like driving an electric ship, still it's my first Hybrid car I ever drove and driving in all electric mode on the highway is hella fun :) Also yes, the roof rooks like a panoramic roof, but it OPENS :) so when it's open it looks so awesome because it's raised.

Thats gonna be an awesome ride!
-Give it 600 miles before you go hard.
-Most of us find type r badges (not the red honda logo) embarrassing. There is a guy in my town that did this with a white hatch... People who know laugh. But its your car man, your call!
-19" rims seem a bit heavy for this platform. But if you like the look and can handle the performance hit, more power to you!
Thanks for the answer and I cannot wait to drive it! I'm lucky because we have a really good mountain road which was completely replaced with new asphalt recently so I cannot wait to post some times on that. Yeah I will steer clear of the Type R badge, will get the Mugen badge, but will wait until I at least have the Dual Hexagonal Exhaust from Mugen on my car (http://www.mugen-power.com/common/english/products/CIVIC5dr/parts/03.html)

OP
OP
DarkKitarist

DarkKitarist

Hyped for Cyberpunk 2077
First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kaihatsu-sha.eu
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The car is at the dealer, they're adding all the additional stuff onto it as we speak.

Were it not for my wife leaving me on Friday, I would be really really happy.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Recommended break-in procedure is below 4,000 RPM, while varying the RPM, for the first 1,000 km.
(e.g. city stop-and-go driving, instead of highway driving that causes the RPM to stay within a small range)
Avoid flooring it to 4,000 RPM...

19" wheels will fit, but you will most likely need wheels with lower sidewall ratio.
Us with the factory 18" wheels, the car comes with 235/40/R18 wheels.
If you go with 19", you may need to drop the ratio from 40% to 35% or 30%.
Reducing the sidewall will transfer more roughness from the road, and road noise to the car.

You can get aftermarket coilovers, but you may need to get the active dampers adjusted afterwards.
From the factory, the are tuned for the factory suspension set-up.

Aftermarket suspension, upsizing the wheels, aftermarket BBK...
Compatibility / fitment will be important.
You don't want to run into problems such as the aftermarket wheels rubbing against the BBK calipers...
Tires rubbing / not fitting with the suspension swap...

250 WHP should be doable on the CVT, but you may run into long-term reliability issues.
A simple basemap tune, or Stage 1 tune won't get you to 250 WHP -- you'll need to add some bolt-ons, etc.
The weak point, is mostly the CVT transmission, and wear / scoring / slipping with the CVT belt and pulleys.
The stock 1.5T engine itself, should be able to handle ~250 WHP, but again, reliable may take a hit as you move closer towards the 300 WHP or 350 WHP mark.
Using TSP's numbers...stock 1.5T non-Si with a full cold-air intake, and ECU tune, you are already in the 215 ~ 220 WHP range, and 250+ Torque.

Personally, I'm on the line of yay or nay on the red "H" Honda badges.
I thought about getting it for my Civic Hatchback Sport -- compliments the red Rays lug nuts, and the black/red mud flaps...but haven't done that yet.
By the way, factory OEM Type-R front/rear badges are compatible with the non Type-R Hatchbacks.

Haven't tried a set of P-Zero's yet, so not going to knock on them, or praise them.
That said, my next set of tires would probably be Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, stick with my current 245 width, or go 255.
My Civic is only driven during the warmer months here anyways, so tread wear isn't much of a concern.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DarkKitarist

DarkKitarist

Hyped for Cyberpunk 2077
First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kaihatsu-sha.eu
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So well I got my brand new Civic Hatchback, drove it 2 km and literally every error the car can have showed up.

Started with the Check Break Hold System, and then everything lit up from the LKAS, AAC to the good old Check Engine light.

So does this officially make me the first person in the world where my Honda engine failed on the first day? @Administrator If this isn't worth a custom badge on this forum I do not know what is :p "My Civic Failed on The First Drive" is a good name for the badge.

In all honesty this happening and my wife leaving is proof that karma doesn't exist...

Honda Civic 10th gen Getting my new 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Plus in a Week! 20191203_163853
Sponsored