Getting cold feet after reading about infotainment issues

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
If your gonna get the 17 civic your gonna have to wait to at least January to start getting some deals like you are getting on the 16's now. Depending on your area also.. Here's a example

2016 Honda Accord sport 21500 including dest
2017 Honda Accord sport 24000 including dest

Same car just a new year.. Grab a newer 16 build in May/June and you should be good. With the money you can save jump up a trim.
Sponsored

Kira

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I've had my car for almost 2 weeks now, so far no problems (fingers crossed)! I too had my concerns, but couldn't wait any longer because of my older car.

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have been so close to picking up a new 2016 Civic Coupe to replace my 2001 Ford Focus, but I keep checking places like Car Complaints and Civic Problems and am getting cold feet.

There seems to be a lot of issues regarding the infotainment systems glitching out, not working, etc... And then because they stop working, the A/C stops working too.

I also have been reading about windshields on the Civics being easy to crack. And other various issues.

I'm sure going here is not going to get me an unbiased opinion, but I figured it's the only place I know where to look for any answer.

How widespread are these issues? Am I SOL if the infotainment system crashes?

Is it really worth the risk? :(
Never had a problem with mine. Might be a case of some rare cars having a rare defect, in which case, no car manufacturer is immune to such problems. Can't live life in fear that your new car MIGHT have a 1% (or whatever actual chances are) chance of manufacturer defect.

Lukcas02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civicx Coupe
Never had a problem with mine. Might be a case of some rare cars having a rare defect, in which case, no car manufacturer is immune to such problems. Can't live life in fear that your new car MIGHT have a 1% (or whatever actual chances are) chance of manufacturer defect.
Well, this might be a 1% chance cause I've seen hundreds of new civics on the streets now. Although, I haven't seen another coupe yet, lol.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
I bought my sedan July 6th, manufacturing date is 7/2016, so it's very new... Had 6 miles when I bought it, no issues for me, hoping everything got worked out by the time it was made.... If in doubt, you can also buy hondacare for about $900 for 8yr/100k miles

Kpalhonda16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Late to the thread, but so far I've had both of the issues listed occur with my Civic EX-T. The infotainment system glitched after having the vehicle for 2.5 months. Trying to find the solve for it took awhile, but once I did - the actual fix took a matter of minutes - no big deal.
Last week (which would take me up to 3 months car ownership) I noticed my car had a large crack on the top passenger side of the window. I chalk this up to being a commuter and traveling with semi's and their kickback on a daily basis.
Overall, none of this makes me wish I hadn't purchased the vehicle. I'm a big fan and recommend it to others. As with new vehicles, I am sure there are always going to be kinks to work out.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Okay. This adds a new stressful choice, haha. This is a big deal getting a new car.

If I were to go used, would getting a car with a branded title be a bad idea? The dealership near me specializes exclusively in selling branded title cars, and they spin it to sound like not such a bad idea. But is it a good idea to avoid those? They are so cheap nowadays.
Google what a branded title is. Then RUN, DON'T WALK, AWAY from a branded title if you want a reliable vehicle for the long term. I was checking out a "used" Mugen Civic in '07 for $10G under list when the dealer was required to tell me it was a salvage that couldn't even be registered in MA, but was fine in CT! Found out it had been stolen and driven into the Thames River but would be fixed up if sold.

HonoluluBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
I had several issues with the infotainment system when I first got the car (EX-T), took it to the dealer and got the service bulletin 16-022. Only issue now is sometimes the AndroidAuto will cause my phone to reboot, but I think it's an issue with the phone now not the car.

I'd say it's definitely worth the risk as the CivicX is such a great vehicle!

ajacks101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Koz McBloo 2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I have been so close to picking up a new 2016 Civic Coupe to replace my 2001 Ford Focus, but I keep checking places like Car Complaints and Civic Problems and am getting cold feet.

There seems to be a lot of issues regarding the infotainment systems glitching out, not working, etc... And then because they stop working, the A/C stops working too.

I also have been reading about windshields on the Civics being easy to crack. And other various issues.

I'm sure going here is not going to get me an unbiased opinion, but I figured it's the only place I know where to look for any answer.

How widespread are these issues? Am I SOL if the infotainment system crashes?

Is it really worth the risk? :(
I have had mine for literally 35 days now and I can say I have had no issues whatsoever except for the subwoofer rattle in my Touring model. And when it's hot out it is no problem. I have yet to take it to my dealer so they can pad that down, which will hopefully fix it.
Otherwise I too was worried about running into these issues. Infotainment works great albeit takes a lot of getting used to. It's just a bit awkward and counter-intuitive, espeically with no physical buttons. The AC is working fine, I haven't read about this issue so now I'm worried. But if it breaks they fix it NBD.
I agree with the other posters people on the internet in forums will post issues and make them sound like "the Civic Touring went upstairs and killed my 95 year old grandmother in her sleep"
This car, especially the Touring trim, is a great deal even at MSRP (obvi don't pay MSRP). It has things that aren't even available in the Accord Touring trim. Ultimately the sub issue aside I really love this car it's a smooth ride with enough power that is unrivaled in any Civic I have owned in the past.
Although, if you're liking the hatchback, maybe a good idea to wait the couple of months and see if they've made any good changes that will resolve the problems people are complaining about.

busyizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
I have had mine for literally 35 days now and I can say I have had no issues whatsoever except for the subwoofer rattle in my Touring model. And when it's hot out it is no problem. I have yet to take it to my dealer so they can pad that down, which will hopefully fix it.
Otherwise I too was worried about running into these issues. Infotainment works great albeit takes a lot of getting used to. It's just a bit awkward and counter-intuitive, espeically with no physical buttons. The AC is working fine, I haven't read about this issue so now I'm worried. But if it breaks they fix it NBD.
I agree with the other posters people on the internet in forums will post issues and make them sound like "the Civic Touring went upstairs and killed my 95 year old grandmother in her sleep"
This car, especially the Touring trim, is a great deal even at MSRP (obvi don't pay MSRP). It has things that aren't even available in the Accord Touring trim. Ultimately the sub issue aside I really love this car it's a smooth ride with enough power that is unrivaled in any Civic I have owned in the past.
Although, if you're liking the hatchback, maybe a good idea to wait the couple of months and see if they've made any good changes that will resolve the problems people are complaining about.
I've had mine for exactly a month now too and this describes my experience perfectly. Touring trim, love it, no A/C issues, no infotainment issues - the only problem is the subwoofer rattle, which I also haven't had time to go in to get padded but it's also starting to annoy me a lot less now so might be a while before I do that.

seanguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
You're lucky you got cold feet and avoided this lemon. Do not buy this car.

Go with a more reliable (I thought I'd never say this) Mazda3 or Elantra. I've always had great luck with Hondas (2005 Accord, 2013 CR-V) but this Civic is a lemon.

seanguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
You're calling it a lemon because you have a rattle noise and an AC issue you haven't even taken the car in for a diagnosis on yet? That's a bit hasty...
The dealership won't even let me make a service appointment before MONDAY. I drove off the lot with this car YESTERDAY. I've read a LOT MORE PEOPLE with this AC issue, unfortunately AFTER THE SALE. Hasty? Maybe. Entirely wrong? I don't think so.
There's absolutely no reason it should be having any issues at this point. And if it did, I fully expect Honda or dealership to sort this out as soon as possible, but that's not the case. I'd return this for a full refund if I could.

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
If they need an appointment, they need an appointment. It's not a run-around, it's logistics. Just because it's new doesn't mean it will take any less time or resources to diagnose. They may have two mechanics that are gone n vacation for the rest of the week and just simply can't spend an entire day with one of their other mechanics doing diagnostics for one car. Calling it a lemon because one shop doesn't have the logistical capability to see you on the spot is just dumb.

seanguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
If they need an appointment, they need an appointment. It's not a run-around, it's logistics. Just because it's new doesn't mean it will take any less time or resources to diagnose. They may have two mechanics that are gone n vacation for the rest of the week and just simply can't spend an entire day with one of their other mechanics doing diagnostics for one car. Calling it a lemon because one shop doesn't have the logistical capability to see you on the spot is just dumb.
Man... I curse you with a fucking lemon with issues the next day for your next car, with a dealership that won't own upto it. Have fun.
Sponsored