Getting better gas mileage after mods

Has you current mod list improved gas mileage?

• Total voters

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello,

After almost 2 years of owning the car, I just wanted post my observations regarding gas mileage from it stock to my current mods. i know other people mileage may vary but this is what i have encounted so far.

1. well for the first couple months of owning the car i was averaging about 32-33mpg, where i live we do alot of stop and go driving/city driving
  2. first major mod was installing the Hondata +6 tune. ran it for a couple months and my MPG's stayed roughly the same, about 32-33.
  3. a month or two later I installed the PRL DP/FP combo, running that for a couple months my MPG's dropped to about 31 on average.
  4. around December of last year was when I installed the PRL Cobra CAI. MPG's improved back up to when i first got the car, back up to 32-33 MPGS
  5. at around early in January was when i installed my aftermarket wheels (Enkei's T6S 17*8 40mm, wrappedd in General's Gmax AS05). new set with tires weighed about 44lbs, compared to the stock weight (50.2 lbs) so a savings at about 6lbs a corner. MPG's started to average hight 33's to low 34s'.
  6. mid February was when installed both my PRL FMIC and PRL CVT Cooler. as of Feb to today it has continued to climb as of 3/23 , it is currently averaging 36.8 MPG.
Keep in mind my driving habits have stayed the same. i still get on it every once and awhile :). i also gas at the same station (Mobil) and gas 91 octane everytime.

Not sure if this information will be relevant to alot of people but i just wanted to share what i have observed so far with my current mods.
Sponsored

ZephyrFlash

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello,

After almost 2 years of owning the car, I just wanted post my observations regarding gas mileage from it stock to my current mods. i know other people mileage may vary but this is what i have encounted so far.

1. well for the first couple months of owning the car i was averaging about 32-33mpg, where i live we do alot of stop and go driving/city driving
  2. first major mod was installing the Hondata +6 tune. ran it for a couple months and my MPG's stayed roughly the same, about 32-33.
  3. a month or two later I installed the PRL DP/FP combo, running that for a couple months my MPG's dropped to about 31 on average.
  4. around December of last year was when I installed the PRL Cobra CAI. MPG's improved back up to when i first got the car, back up to 32-33 MPGS
  5. at around early in January was when i installed my aftermarket wheels (Enkei's T6S 17*8 40mm, wrappedd in General's Gmax AS05). new set with tires weighed about 44lbs, compared to the stock weight (50.2 lbs) so a savings at about 6lbs a corner. MPG's started to average hight 33's to low 34s'.
  6. mid February was when installed both my PRL FMIC and PRL CVT Cooler. as of Feb to today it has continued to climb as of 3/23 , it is currently averaging 36.8 MPG.
Keep in mind my driving habits have stayed the same. i still get on it every once and awhile :). i also gas at the same station (Mobil) and gas 91 octane everytime.

Not sure if this information will be relevant to alot of people but i just wanted to share what i have observed so far with my current mods.
I think it's absolutely relevant! Thanks for tracking and sharing with us.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
When I installed my aFe Pro Dry S filter, I got a small bump in MPG. Since adding my +6 Flashpro tune my mileage has gone down a small bit but for obvious reasons. If I'm easy on the gas, my mileage is like it was before. If I gun it, my MPG is way down.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I installed my aFe Pro Dry S filter, I got a small bump in MPG. Since adding my +6 Flashpro tune my mileage has gone down a small bit but for obvious reasons. If I'm easy on the gas, my mileage is like it was before. If I gun it, my MPG is way down.
My experience is the same as yours, but with the Ktuner base tunes. It is too early for me to tell, but I am guessing that I will get a little less with the Vittuned Stage 1 tune. It is more robust in general driving and so probably that is due to a little more gas. If it is, it is well worth it to me for the greatly enhanced driving experience it gives me. The real difference is that I have to now run premium gas. That is not an issue for me as I bought this car for spritely performance. It still gets good gas mileage. I hope someone will chime in with some larger data sets on this.

Last edited:

kidcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
for me it has depended a lot on which mods - when i got mudflaps MPG went down same with my splitter. but my tune didn't change it. my wheels and tires have improved it. so its all dependent on which mods

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Mods or no mods the biggest factor in MPG is still your right foot. Get those RPM's up high and mileage suffers.

kidcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i get around 32mpg and i dont have a light foot

Metal_Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
@NeoDragons when first reading your post I was wondering if weather had anything to do with changes in your MPG. Then I noticed that you're in Guam...boy how I miss the Chamorro Village. Very useful info here, I have to consider getting the CVT cooler for the hotter months here on the east coast.

I just got an oil change/tire rotation as well as a CVT fluid change yesterday, and since then I've noticed that the CVT is much smoother when switching between ratios. I attribute my slightly higher MPG's I've been averaging to this.

OP
OP
NeoDragons

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Then I noticed that you're in Guam...boy how I miss the Chamorro Village. Very useful info here, I have to consider getting the CVT cooler for the hotter months here on the east coast.
ya man, chamorro village still going strong. always have great food

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I get 34 mpg average on back and forth to work and some around town. My best was on the way back from L.A. after I got the Thermal R&D exhaust at 44 mpg.

SandyEggoSi

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Rallye Red
Country flag
Thx to the user above that posted about the loss in gas mileage after installing mud flaps. Should be obvious that installing 4 mini "parachutes" will have such an effect, but some people just don't think about those things. A heavier or wider tire will also decrease MPG's and even more so if the offset moves the wheels further outboard. Remember to adjust your math if running taller tires as your loss in MPG may be partly to blame on your speedo/odo not knowing that you mounted different size tires. =)

Splitters, sunroof visors, window visors, hatch glass visors will also affect fuel econ. If you're on the fence about spending the money for a mod, consider this because it just might change your mind when u examine the longer term costs associated with upsetting the aero efficiency of your car.

kidcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thx to the user above that posted about the loss in gas mileage after installing mud flaps. Should be obvious that installing 4 mini "parachutes" will have such an effect, but some people just don't think about those things. A heavier or wider tire will also decrease MPG's and even more so if the offset moves the wheels further outboard. Remember to adjust your math if running taller tires as your loss in MPG may be partly to blame on your speedo/odo not knowing that you mounted different size tires. =)

Splitters, sunroof visors, window visors, hatch glass visors will also affect fuel econ. If you're on the fence about spending the money for a mod, consider this because it just might change your mind when u examine the longer term costs associated with upsetting the aero efficiency of your car.
This! I was trying to explain to my dad how after all the drag I’ve put on my car that I’m getting worse gas mileage because he was complaining about loosing a few mpg after his new wheels - every mod you make the appearance will most likely lower mpg

EdwarDallas

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
PRL Stage 1= +2mpg
36 PSI in tires= +.5 mpg

My mileage in my 2020 Si went from 26 to 28mpg+ combined city/highway driving

Edward

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With down and front pipes, E30 in the tank, a custom tune, and wider stickier tires I was still getting 40-55mpg on a highway cruise. I get 22-28mpg on my regular weekly tank now with stock wheels. Terrible road conditions and traffic and drivers. I was getting maybe 28-34mpg bone stock and factory tuned when new.
Ethanol is cheap, the performance is fun, and I can avoid being run over by the fleet of mouth breathing altimas in the area. I'm not going to fret some mpg's when half the koalas and kangaroos are ash. Planet ruined...
Sponsored