Genuine Honda Full Synthetic Oil for 2017 civic?

jchoi112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatch
i was looking to go full synthetic on my 2017 civic hatch, and i found a genuine honda full synthetic oil/

is the genuine honda full synthetic oil better for civic than other brand?

Genuine Honda 08798-9037 Full Synthetic Oil
Sponsored

fastSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type-R 2018 CW #13019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i was looking to go full synthetic on my 2017 civic hatch, and i found a genuine honda full synthetic oil/

is the genuine honda full synthetic oil better for civic than other brand?

Genuine Honda 08798-9037 Full Synthetic Oil
I dont know if you guys in the USA are like that but all Honda's since 2012 in Canada comes with a Full Syntetic oïl....
Honda Civic 10th gen Genuine Honda Full Synthetic Oil for 2017 civic? 2saz67n

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Honestly, i believe all oils are perform around the same.
The most important thing to note however is the frequency when you change it. Just use any oil that is 0w-20 and change every 5,000 miles and your good! :)
Ps. Use a quality oil filter ( don't use fram).

Sman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EX Hatch w/ Sensing
Honestly, i believe all oils are perform around the same.
The most important thing to note however is the frequency when you change it. Just use any oil that is 0w-20 and change every 5,000 miles and your good! :)
Ps. Use a quality oil filter ( don't use fram).
Don't use the cheap Fram filters. I've only used higher end Fram filters in my Alero. 210,000 miles and nothing wrong with the engine......(knocks on wood) It does help that I drive 100 miles a day for work and it is 90% interstate and I change my oil at 5,000 miles when I can still feel that it is in great condition.

fastSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type-R 2018 CW #13019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why dont you guys use the oem filters?

If something goes wrong ..You will be sure Honda wont Bug on the waranty for not installing the oem filter

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Nothing wrong with using a genuine synthetic or dino oil, providing it meets Honda's recommended standards. Most modern oils are quite good, aside from a few generics.

In addition to the above advice, just stick with the maintenance minder and change before it reaches 0.

If something goes wrong ..You will be sure Honda wont Bug on the waranty for not installing the oem filter
There are some filters (i.e. Wix) that trap more contaminants and have shown to provide better UOA results over a typical oil change (though the advantage is not significant). It's not going to void the warranty unless the component was proven to be defective. I guess it's possible, but unlikely.

Sman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EX Hatch w/ Sensing

Honda has to prove that that is the only reason of why the issue happened..........they can't just say you used xyz product....your warranty is now voided.
MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT (1975)
Quick read at http://www.smart-service.com/blog/2013/05/warranty-rights that explains this.

stak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag

Because Honda's current OEM filter is not good at all. It's made by Honeywell/Fram and is low quality.

Now the older OEM filter, made by Filtech, which are no longer produced but still available in some places, is a different story. Warranty or not it's probably the best filter you could use.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag

Honda isnt gonna void or bug on a warranty for using a different filter... Hell the a01 honda filter is made by filtech and is a very good filter.. And the a02 honda filter is made by honeywell and is a piece if garbage.. A02 is what dealers are getting now.. So if you want one of the worst filters on your car.. Sure use hondas filter.. If i have to go to dealer for oil change i verify what they have in stock.. If no a01's i tell them to use one out of my trunk

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag

Oh and oem doesnt mean it has to say honda on it.. If you go buy the honeywell filter at autozone it will be considered oem eventho it doesnt say honda and says fram instead

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since I decided to stick with OEM spec I don't see the point of going out of my way to buy the oil & filter at Canadian Tire. Hopefully they can hook me up like Acura parts did back in the day when I had the RSX.

I love Castrol 0W-30, the fact that it's made in Germany and didn't burn compared to when I was using Mobil 1. I've been using since 2002 but for some reason I can't go against what Honda recommends, 0W-20. I don't know why I'm using the excuse that this is my first Tubro Charged purchase. I ask Honda service and they said stick with the spec.

As for breaking her in. Pretty ease up on the acceleration, braking, etc. I do this around 2k/km.

SilverDyme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
i have a 2016 ext. What are the advantages of going Full Synthetic?

Sman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EX Hatch w/ Sensing
i have a 2016 ext. What are the advantages of going Full Synthetic?
For you. None, but it should help on cold starts when the temperature is below freezing......There is supposed to be less "waxing" with full synthetic oils

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are there any 0w-20 conventional oils available? All the ones I've seen are full synthetic or synthetic blends. So if you go with 0w-20, chances are you will get a synthetic oil.