gear lever issue (youtube video)

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I cant figure this out.... My only mod is under-hood bushings by acuity, which I have been running for months. I'm not sure if this started happening when it was installed or I just didn't notice until now.

There is 0 impact on regular driving. However, I suspect that at a stop sign, the stick remains un-centered without me even noticing. I guess I never try to push my stick to the right when at a traffic light or even notice it being un-centered. I'm clutched out at a traffic light to prevent wear on the throw-out and even though it is still prob off-center, the car doesn't die.

My main issue is that I can replicate this in any gear when at a complete stop. Clutch in and move the lever into neutral. You would think it is in neutral, but it is not. I am completely locked out of moving my lever to the right. Before it even enters reverse. I can't even get it between 5 and 6. Or 3 and 4.

Funny thing is that I never have an issue going back into 1st (moving left) when at a light.

Is the solution really to move it back into first then out and try to recenter it?
Is it bad that it might not be centered when I a clutch out while sitting in a traffic light?

I can replicate this over and over without even actually moving the car.

Any suggestions? @ACUITY
Here is a video
Sponsored

Last edited:

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad you posted this, the video was helpful too! I was thinking about making the Acuity Shift Linkage Bushing Upgrade my next mod, but now I'm not so sure.

OP
OP
tehSteve

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Another update.
So I was playing around with it again.
Was able to get it "jammed up".
Pushing the lever straight up allowed it to slide into 3rd without issue.
After taking it out, I was allowed to move the lever freely.

When it "jams up", definitely cannot pull down into 4th.

1st and 2nd are accessible, but I need to tug the lever to the left before moving the shifter up/down.

It's as if everything is binding where the green dot is inside this photo: https://imgur.com/a/Yz6ShLK

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
Have you looked at the bushings recently? I got stuck in reverse after a bolt from the battery case fell off and pinned the shift cable.

Is there any chance that this is caused by a bad centering spring or some component in the shifter instead of the cable/transmission.

OP
OP
tehSteve

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Have you looked at the bushings recently? I got stuck in reverse after a bolt from the battery case fell off and pinned the shift cable.

Is there any chance that this is caused by a bad centering spring or some component in the shifter instead of the cable/transmission.
Sigh I am not sure. Visually everything checks out. When I am jammed up and move the lever upwards 1-2mm higher the stick recenters itself between 3 and 4

Loccust

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
You could try taking the center console apart and driving around a bit with it safely and I mean safely partially put back together but with the coverings around the gear lever off. This would allow you to see what is going on when it sticks.

Loccust

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
How many miles on the car? I have ran into the same issue but it seems to (knock on wood) have gone away other than when going into reverse as I have put miles on the new Type R lever I installed. The SI lever seemed to figure itself out after about 4K miles on the car and eliminated any issues like this. When I installed the accuity cable bushings, shifter base bushings, accuity centering spring and weighted shift knob on the Type R lever when I installed it, I started to run into the reverse issue again. I have just over 5K miles on my 2017 so I don't expect that it is really broken in completely with the type of components they used, maybe this is the same for you?

OP
OP
tehSteve

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I am 2300 miles. Installed at 1700.

Gsnail13

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah, now that I've seen your video yours Is doing exactly what mine does too. I'm afraid it's not the shifter or the bushings, maybe the cables? I'm not too sure what it could be getting locked up on/in. In case anyone is wondering, I'm almost at 8,000 miles.

OP
OP
tehSteve

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Honda's response will be break it in for 20k miles. Or don't let it slip out from 2nd into neutral. Be a man and give it some umpf when taking it out of 2nd.

I wonder if anyone else has this problem and doesn't even realize it?
Just slide the shifter gently from 2nd and let it "flow" into neutral itself.

Gsnail13

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I like the idea loccust had, about taking the center console apart and replicating the issue. I noticed if you somewhat force it left or right while its stuck it makes a noise that comes from that area so maybe I'll start there. It's kinda gonna suck taking it all apart and not installing my acuity parts though.

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So is it starting to look like it's not because of the Acuity bushings?