amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Since December, I have been getting an average of 26 mpg consistently for combined city and hwy driving. My last two trips which were roughly almost 7 hours hwy driving I was averaging 37-38 mpg. On Friday I changed my oil after putting 7K from my last oil change with 20% left on the MM from Idemitsu 0W20 to Idemitsu ZEPRO Eco Medalist 0W20, and now I am averaging about 28 mpg city/hwy driving. I decided to switch to this particular formula because first of all they claim that this formula was optimized for downsized engines, that it will improve fuel economy, also I read some reviews on it backing up their statements (https://motoiq.com/can-an-oil-chang...test-idemitsu-zero-eco-medalist-and-find-out/) and lastly, it was pretty cheap on Amazon ($27 for a 5 quart bottle)

For sure I can say that it did increase my average by 2 mpg from my last oil change, and as Spring approaches and the weather warms up I am hoping that will increase even more. Anyway I thought I would share this information in case anyone was interested in using this oil

One more thing...this mpg is with hard driving, not that sissy granny driving...although there was a granny tailgating me the other day. Guess she was in a hurry :)

They also have a 5W30 ZEPRO for those of you that like a slightly thicker viscosity
Sponsored

Last edited:

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I think you mentioned Idemitsu 0W20 was the very same oil that Honda uses? So this Idemitsu zepro I guess would be of higher quality, or is it just that it's better suited for our smaller engines?
Also, do you still experience slightly less performance on colder days after switching to the Idemitsu zepro?

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think you mentioned Idemitsu 0W20 was the very same oil that Honda uses? So this Idemitsu zepro I guess would be of higher quality, or is it just that it's better suited for our smaller engines?
Also, do you still experience slightly less performance on colder days after switching to the Idemitsu zepro?
As I understand, they use the regular Idemitsu 0W20 as factory fill, they state this information on their website. The ZEPRO Eco medalist was designed more for downsized, GDI turbocharged engines and they formulated the detergents to prevent LSPI per the DEXOS1 spec meeting GM requirements, also on their website, although their regular 0W20 would probably also prevent LSPI as well. I definitely felt that cold starting was much better (it was 33 F this morning) and cold driving performance was also better, as well as idle was much quieter and smoother, but this could be because the oil is new

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
5 quarts of Idemitsu ZEPRO on Canada Amazon is $106 cdn...lucky us. Unfortunately Amazon USA doesn’t ship that to us.
So Honda standard oil it will be

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
5 quarts of Idemitsu ZEPRO on Canada Amazon is $106 cdn...lucky us. Unfortunately Amazon USA doesn’t ship that to us.
So Honda standard oil it will be
Well that sucks! I wonder why they are pricing it so high in Canada? It's kinda of like we pay full price for drugs while other countries get it cheap (many Americans cross the boarder to Canada and Mexico to get cheaper priced drugs. Prescription drugs that is). Anyway Honda OEM oil is good so you will be fine

Gino27

Red Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si coupe
Country flag
As I understand, they use the regular Idemitsu 0W20 as factory fill, they state this information on their website. The ZEPRO Eco medalist was designed more for downsized, GDI turbocharged engines and they formulated the detergents to prevent LSPI per the DEXOS1 spec meeting GM requirements, also on their website, although their regular 0W20 would probably also prevent LSPI as well. I definitely felt that cold starting was much better (it was 33 F this morning) and cold driving performance was also better, as well as idle was much quieter and smoother, but this could be because the oil is new
So it seems like the ZEPRO Eco medalist is the perfect fit for the 1.5T

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
I think so, especially at the price point, Amazon now has ZEPRO Ecomedalist for $23 for 5 quarts (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072QY9GY...9e4f-600426e588d7&ie=UTF8&qid=1550683082&sr=2). Mobile 1 is $43, Castrol Edge is $39.99, and Valvoline is $116 for a 3 pack of 5 quarts ($38.66). The only thing cheaper is Amazon basics at $19.99
Are you sure Mobil1 is $43. Its around $29-30 at walmart. I always prefer Mobil1 brand and I thought of putting the same in civic Si for my first oil change

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you sure Mobil1 is $43. Its around $29-30 at walmart. I always prefer Mobil1 brand and I thought of putting the same in civic Si for my first oil change
Walmart competes with Amazon, they may be trying to undercut Amazon's prices. Also it depends on which Mobile 1 formulation, they are priced differently for example extended drain etc. Also different sellers on Amazon have different prices, I just looked at the first one that popped up

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Walmart competes with Amazon, they may be trying to undercut Amazon's prices. Also it depends on which Mobile 1 formulation, they are priced differently for example extended drain etc. Also different sellers on Amazon have different prices, I just looked at the first one that popped up
I always go for mobile 1 advanced protection which is fully synthetic with Mobil 1 filter.

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
Last edited:

squelchy451

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 VW GTI (RIP)
Country flag
Not to rain on someone's parade but just keep in mind you need at least 30+ observations to determine whether the difference is statistically significant.
I love keeping track of my MPG and seeing if new oil, spark plug, carbon cleaning etc. made a difference and I want them to, but there is often a lot of noise you have to work through to arrive at such a conclusion.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not to rain on someone's parade but just keep in mind you need at least 30+ observations to determine whether the difference is statistically significant.
I love keeping track of my MPG and seeing if new oil, spark plug, carbon cleaning etc. made a difference and I want them to, but there is often a lot of noise you have to work through to arrive at such a conclusion.
Agreed.

weigle2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
At wal-mart where I live, a 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 Advanced 0w-20 is 25.97 + tax.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag