Garmin GPS and Honda -- whats really going on ?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
What is going on between Garmin and Honda as far as providing GPS services & Android Applications for the Honda Head Units.
In 2014 Garmin Announced

OLATHE, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), today announced that Honda has selected Garmin as the navigation provider for future Civic and CR-V models in Europe, Russia and South America. Garmin’s award-winning navigation will be fully integrated into 2015 Honda Civic and CR-V in-dash infotainment systems.

“We are delighted to partner with Honda to bring our navigation expertise to their customers with an integrated system that is feature-packed and easy to use,” said Matt Munn, Garmin managing director automotive OEM. “This new partnership is another important milestone for the Garmin automotive OEM group and a testament to the reliability and quality of our navigation solutions.”

The Garmin system will be seamlessly integrated into Honda infotainment systems and include many of the company’s signature features. Preloaded maps allow users to navigate even in areas without cell reception, and millions of points of interest make it easy to find places. Spoken turn-by-turn directions are complemented by advanced guidance features to navigate drivers through the most challenging situations with ease. Lane guidance indicates the proper lane to make a turn and photoReal junction view1 provides photo-realistic images of junctions and exits. The system also includes predictive routes, real-time traffic avoidance, speed limit display, 3D buildings, terrain views and more.

Also in 2014, Garmin announded their VIago ANdroid Navigation software on the Play Store.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2014/...affic-info-real-directions-iaps-currently-50/

So, is the Honda Garmin GPS system really "Viago", maybe packaged in a custom way for Honda. ??

Well, later, Garmin Discontinued Viago, and said it was pulling out of the Android Navigation Market .

https://www.androidpolice.com/2015/...-it-was-released-didnt-bother-telling-anyone/

Obviously, one can still find Viago, but you can no longer register it to operate :( ( I tried it !!)

So, why care ... well..

Those wanting to put a navigation system on the After Market Head Unit in their Honda, might have considered Viago, as it looks very much like the Garmin Navigation software that STILL come on SOME Honda cars.

So, is it the same, ?? and if so, one has to wonder how much longer Garmin is going to support it Via Honda, if Garmin has really got out of the Naviagtion APP business.

If I fitted an After Market Head Unit to my 10th gen Honda, I would certainly consider installing some Garnmin nav software, if it was available, especially if I was traveling in areas of bad cell coverage.

Yes, there are other solutions, -- I am just curious about the Garmin Honda relationship, and it's long term viability .

I'm also pretty pissed that I cannot get the Garmin Software that I know is already installed in my USA 2018 SI, turned on ... although, honestly, Google Maps is far better, with good Voice control, and is always up-to-date without messing around with installing updates. And here in East Coast USA, cell connection is not an issue...
Sponsored

Last edited:

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Yeah, what is going on?

I bought the 1.5L Touring over the next lowest trim level because I scored a stunning deal and the Garmin nav on the HU was a bonus with the Touring I never really appreciated.

My opinions have changed on the HU. It is slow as shit and the maps don't reflect rapidly changing neighbourhoods.

It's actually not that bad. It works about 90% of the time, which is enough for me. It is the only option that will display turn directions on the dash.

But yes, Google Maps is 100% better. I could care less that it does not display directions on the HU or the dash, but the voice over that tells you when to turn and where is by itself good enough.

CivicBuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EXT/HS, 2000 Honda Accord Coupe
Country flag
I use Android Auto with Google Maps and I get turn by turn on the dash. Be sure you are using the latest software.
BTW, It is a good idea to put the year of your car in your profile. Different years have different issues.
Sponsored