full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Question regarding the wires from front speakers to the LC2i; do you really need 16awg and would it make any difference using 18awg or even 20awg?
My thinking is it wouldn't make any difference since this is just a signal being read by the LC2i and won't be powering any speakers. But I could be wrong.
you're fine with 18 gauge. i wouldn't do 20 gauge since that's too small over a long length. i like 16 gauge for all my speaker work because of size over length to minimize signal loss.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
fyi...one of our fb group members is going all out with his audiocontrol dq61 and 2 external amps. he's using the updated source signals for the sub to feed the dq61 then to feed his 2 amps for all 6 channels...front l/r, rear l/r, and twin subs in a box.

Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers dvMm2QJURPLI2GUuEoHH3vYsQ2n_b550aAolHbZ8xIZ_kZKCGI9W5MpX8RG-L2MwlhI-JzdGh&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Regarding the JL tweeters, do you need to use the crossover supplied with the tweeter or just connect the tweeter wires straight to the stock wires?
Yes, need to use the filter supplied by JL for protecting the filter from dying.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
LOL typed too quickly. Protecting tweeter from dying.
I see... Because I'm installing the same JL tweeter and I'm here in hardware store looking for soldering iron to help me install it.

Others who use different brand of tweeter said just connect the tweeter straight to the stock wires.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see... Because I'm installing the same JL tweeter and I'm here in hardware store looking for soldering iron to help me install it.

Others who use different brand of tweeter said just connect the tweeter straight to the stock wires.
I cant way for other brands but JL won’t honor warranty if you don’t use the filter. Nothing wrong but only helps with filter.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does it affect the sound quality whether you use it or not? Mine is a 2019 Si btw
It doesn’t negatively impacts it. It makes sure only the right frequencies for the tweeters are passed to the tweeters nothing else.

visualabstrakt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R, 2008 Evo X
Country flag
If I use an LCI7 and a 6 channel amp, can I power the front speakers, tweeters and a sub then run the center channel and rears off the stock amp? Do you guys think this will be a good setup? I have the LCI7 and amp already from a different project that didnt happen so unsure if I should use them or just buy a mono amp for a sub and just change out the components. Would be nice if I can use what I have already.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I use an LCI7 and a 6 channel amp, can I power the front speakers, tweeters and a sub then run the center channel and rears off the stock amp? Do you guys think this will be a good setup? I have the LCI7 and amp already from a different project that didnt happen so unsure if I should use them or just buy a mono amp for a sub and just change out the components. Would be nice if I can use what I have already.
yes you can. note that the center speaker on the dash is used also for voice command feedback, navi, notifications, etc. if you want or like those things, then the head unit and stock amp controls those sound outputs. i'm sure you'll lose those if you don't power the center speaker from the stock amp.

if i'm reading this right, what you plan to do is:

- center/dash speakers, rear door speakers and tweeters, and c-pillar speakers ==> powered by stock amp.

- front door speakers and tweeters, plus sub ==> powered by amp that's first fed by lc7.

all that should work. only thing to consider is what i said above about those features and how will you control balance and fader from the head unit. it depends on where you're grabbing the source signals to feed the lc7. if you grab the 2 front left and right channels (4 wires), then feed that to your lc7 which requires 6 channels input if i recall. meaning you have 2 channels in so the lc7 needs to know that it's just 2 channels in and not 6 channels in. internally the lc7 will sum the signals to get a full frequency then break them apart again to the 6 channels line level out to feed your external 6 channel amp: 2 front door 6.5" speakers, 2 front door tweeters, and 1 bridged mono sub signal. your balance and fader should still work then if that's important to you.

you'll need to run 4 pairs of wires from the trunk back to the front passenger footwell. cut the 4 output signals (+/-) for the 2 door 6.5" and 2 tweeters to feed them.

if you don't want to do all that, then simply do what i've done with all my work: lc2i to feed jl external amp just to power the sub...and upgrade all door speakers and center channel.

visualabstrakt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R, 2008 Evo X
Country flag
yes you can. note that the center speaker on the dash is used also for voice command feedback, navi, notifications, etc. if you want or like those things, then the head unit and stock amp controls those sound outputs. i'm sure you'll lose those if you don't power the center speaker from the stock amp.

if i'm reading this right, what you plan to do is:

- center/dash speakers, rear door speakers and tweeters, and c-pillar speakers ==> powered by stock amp.

- front door speakers and tweeters, plus sub ==> powered by amp that's first fed by lc7.

all that should work. only thing to consider is what i said above about those features and how will you control balance and fader from the head unit. it depends on where you're grabbing the source signals to feed the lc7. if you grab the 2 front left and right channels (4 wires), then feed that to your lc7 which requires 6 channels input if i recall. meaning you have 2 channels in so the lc7 needs to know that it's just 2 channels in and not 6 channels in. internally the lc7 will sum the signals to get a full frequency then break them apart again to the 6 channels line level out to feed your external 6 channel amp: 2 front door 6.5" speakers, 2 front door tweeters, and 1 bridged mono sub signal. your balance and fader should still work then if that's important to you.

you'll need to run 4 pairs of wires from the trunk back to the front passenger footwell. cut the 4 output signals (+/-) for the 2 door 6.5" and 2 tweeters to feed them.

if you don't want to do all that, then simply do what i've done with all my work: lc2i to feed jl external amp just to power the sub...and upgrade all door speakers and center channel.
Thank you for the advise. I found it very informative and will take it into consideration.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for the advise. I found it very informative and will take it into consideration.
let us know which way you go. if you do go lc7, would be nice to see your setup and experience to share.

good luck! i've posted a lot of tips in one place in fk8 product reviews group in my signature below for your reference.
Sponsored