full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag
Ref: The Stock system's wonky EQ.

If that in the head unit, or the actual AMP (whether it be Head unit amp or external Amp)

I had read of someone having a script that could run on the head unit, to stop some of this "Honda Equalization"
----

Just the bass channel, or all channels.
Also, if the bass channels is being per-processed as a function of speed, how can you restore it, (without knowing the speed etc etc) gets very complex
The EQ is in the Android operating system of the head unit. If you have Honda Hack you can disable it with the Flat EQ script. Info is in the main thread for Honda Hack on Android Forum.

I believe the bass rolloff is fixed and not linked to the Speed-sensitive Volume Control (SVC). You can read in the earlier pages of this thread about how people use the Accubass feature of the AudioControl LC2i to counteract it.
Sponsored

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
The Fix86 isn’t cheap, but it can definitely restore the signal at amplifier output.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went ahead and ordered a center channel anyway. I pulled the factory grill, and it will be very easy to adapt 4 inch to fit in there. So I’ve got focal access AC100 coming for center and 165AS components for the front doors. I’ll get the Fix86 next, they actually have that in stock. But I have no idea what I’m going to do for a sub, so still waiting on that.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a professional installer spend about an hour with me tonight at HiFi Buys in Nashville. This is hands down the best car audio shop in Middle Tennessee. He told me the tenth gen is his favorite of the modern Civics to work on, and they’ve done a few really high dollar builds.

That said, some of his ideas differ from the thinking in this thread. I explained this car will be tracked, and that I need everything to be secure, as well as not increase a lot of weight, and he understands the intended direction of the project.

Their three main speaker lines are JL Audio, Focal, and Alpine.

He’s not a fan of the JL C2 speakers at all. The last Civic X build he did was an Si, and had C5s. Lots more than I want to spend.

The C3 components were a better price, still nowhere near what C2s cost, but lots nicer.

But then we A-B tested the C3s against the Focal Access 165AS, and the Focals just sound so much better to my ears. Install on them is going to be a tiny bit more challenging with the tweeters, but not too bad. He came out to the car with a trim tool and had one of the tweeters out in about ten seconds. He explained how we could make the Focal tweeters look great in the stock location without any trouble.
surprise surprise! go to expensive store then of course they want to sell expensive stuff...custom this and that. replace head unit and amps then custom boxes etc. $2k-$3k minimum is not what we want. what do you expect?

this thread isn't about building all out competition audio. it's about keeping things simple and stupid - KISS principle. most of us do not want to spend tons of money or make things more complex.

some have gone high end which is great. everything is about doing the right thing to improve. different brands, different models, etc. all based on personal taste.

i'm really not sure what the intent is but this thread is about education and reference point for those who want to attack a relatively simply challenge.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
surprise surprise! go to expensive store then of course they want to sell expensive stuff...custom this and that. replace head unit and amps then custom boxes etc. $2k-$3k minimum is not what we want. what do you expect?

this thread isn't about building all out competition audio. it's about keeping things simple and stupid - KISS principle. most of us do not want to spend tons of money or make things more complex.

some have gone high end which is great. everything is about doing the right thing to improve. different brands, different models, etc. all based on personal taste.

i'm really not sure what the intent is but this thread is about education and reference point for those who want to attack a relatively simply challenge.
With respect, the purpose lines up exactly with the thread- Education of options and low cost. I intend to spend less than $1200 all-in and have the front stage and sub both on an external amplifier with either an MDF or fiberglass enclosure for the sub.

Like you, I’m older. I’ve installed tons of audio equipment in my cars over the years. I don’t see wiring an external processor as a big challenge, and I’m sure you don’t either.

Focal front components & center: $335
JL Fix86: $320
Leftover Alpine 5 channel: $0
Leftover JL 10” sub: $0
Wiring, fuses, hardware: ~$150
Optional- JL 8w3v3 $165

If I use the stock plastic enclosure and get an 8W3, it will be less than $1000 all-in. If I use my leftover 10w1v3-4, that leaves me $400 for a custom enclosure to come in at $1200.

I already know where to tap in, the factory amp harness is easily accessible. I’m going to do the front stage first and then figure out which way to go with the sub and enclosure.

Last edited:

Deadgame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
I don't know if you're asking questions or telling me something...A DSP will get rid of the wonkiness, no matter where it's generated.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm going to purchase the center speaker, anyone want to split it.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Still choosing between JL and Kenwood for my CX. The price is not a deal but installation can be painful... Found good info here: https://liamscar.com/best-car-speakers-for-bass/ Plenty of technical information. Any thoughts?
all are fine with jl and kenwood. personally prefer jl for quality and smoothness. the problem i found with components and separate xovers when used with stock hu and no external processing are 2 fold: 1) it's overkill, and 2) the hu already separate lows-mids to the 6.5" and highs to tweeters. having components and separate xovers become meaningless if you use the wires in the doors to the 6.5" speaker as input into the xover then break out again to your new 6.5 and tweeters. in fact the new tweeters may not even get any highs because the new xover is getting mids and lows as input anyway.

i wanted to try the focals but was starting to get out of budget. jl c2 series were a perfect fit for the bill and performance. they were also components but without external xovers.

check into alpine speakers too besides jl and kenwood. see what you like based on your musical tastes really. sometimes you just roll the dice and pick a brand/model. try to keep all speakers same brand though for best blend.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Bump. This thread is so good it should be on the main page.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm going to purchase the center speaker, anyone want to split it.
I may have a partner for you. I’ll let you know tomorrow. He’s Jason Lee, an admin on my team in my FB group below.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Sounds good, thank you.

I may have a partner for you. I’ll let you know tomorrow. He’s Jason Lee, an admin on my team in my FB group below.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
What’s the best way to integrate a DSP/amp into the system? I think I saw somewhere that if you replace the factory amp you lose voice control.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag