Fuel Overfill (auto-stop on pump did not activate)

Tennessee-Z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
My father recently purchased a new '18 sport hatchback. As I am the one that tends to work on my family's cars, he came to me with this problem. Although I usually am able to diagnose problems by searching for TSBs or searching forums like this, this one has me a bit stumped.

When refueling yesterday, he had the gas pump handle's trigger-lock applied so that he didn't have to keep the lever squeezed to refuel the vehicle. Rather than automatically stop, it overfilled the filler neck and spilled around 1 gallon of gas before my father was able to step in and stop the pump by disengaging it manually.

Searching this forum, I have found the following threads:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/fuel-overfill.1505/
https://www.civicx.com/threads/fuel-overfill-honda-is-aware-and-working-on-it.7079/

In both of these threads, members claim that in their cases, the auto-stop activated then a few ounces spilled/"burped" from the capless filler neck. My father's case is different. It did not autostop at all.

He seems a bit worried that it could be a fault with the capless system as he has never had this happen with any prior vehicles after many years of driving. And it occurred with a vehicle that he has only had for about a month.

Personally, it seems to me that there was a problem with the gas pump's nozzle/handle assembly. As gas was flowing out of the filler neck, it had to have cover up the nozzle's venturi hole, in which case it would have stopped unless the nozzle/handle assembly was jammed somehow internally.

Has anyone here experienced similar or have any thoughts?

Secondly, a lot of gas went down the spill/drain hole near the filler neck. Is there anything below this drain area that needs to be checked out for damage or pooling of excess gas? I expect that Honda would design this drain hole to deal with small spills, but this was a bit different Lol. If there is nothing there to be damaged, he doesn't want to risk the dealer messing up anything while disassembling/inspecting the affected area if not necessary.

I apologize for the long read, and thanks in advance for any and all input!
Sponsored

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Country flag
i thought there is a TSB on this. I had it done on my civic. They change the filler neck and installed something on the gas door as well.

OP
OP

Tennessee-Z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
i thought there is a TSB on this. I had it done on my civic. They change the filler neck and installed something on the gas door as well.
https://www.civicx.com/attachments/tb-18-014-pdf.85797/

I've seen TSB 18-014. This TSB covers 2016-2017 civics. The 2018 my father has already has the added cover on the gas door factory installed , so I assume it also has the redesigned/updated misfuel inhibit device also. If this TSB has been extended to 2018s, I haven't been able to find it yet.

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Sounds like a different issue entirely. If auto-stop does not engage AT ALL then this is a separate issue from the minor spillage issue 2016-2017 Civic had. I'd bring it in.
Sponsored