Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
I resd about the turbo before I bought it.... I wouldn't even get interested in a little car like this without the turbo and a CVT that works well and the fuel consumption that it has. Because generally, little cars that cost little money, go forward, backwards and turn left and right just aren't my thing.
Fyi as someone whos driven both the k20 and the l15 engines, the 2.0L isn't that far behind a stock/untuned 1.5t. I've compared gas usages and they're pretty much the same. With the 1.5t you get a small kick when the turbo kicks in after a second or two, but the 2.0L has a decent kick from the dead stop with no delay. It does take longer to hit highway speeds by a second or two, but for in-town driving it's got great pep and performs nicely. And with a CAI it sounds really, really, really good. Feels good to get use of a wider rpm range too hehe. It really roars and sounds exciting when you give it some gas, sounds almost angry with the CAI.

I was surprised to note that cruising on the highway, the realistic gas mileage was actually very similar. In my EX, I took a drive for about 30km just cruising at the speed limit and for 4.5L/100km (got a pic to prove it lol).

Obviously the 1.5T is faster, but the 2.0L is still a fantastic engine that shouldn't only be viewed as just the base model imo. I did notice too the 1.5t starts instantly when you push the button, while the 2.0l turns over slightly longer like you'd expect an engine to. One thing I noticed that was a huge difference was in engine braking, non-existent in the turbo compared to the 2.0l, probably would help with gas mileage when you let off the gas, as it'll probably coast a bit farther. Harder on your brakes for mountains/hills tho

Ha, I would normally agree, but I have to say that the K20C2 is a solid engine. Slow? Yes, but I'll bet that it'll be bullet-proof if you take care of it. Just look at all the other iterations of the K20 out there. I still see K20A, K20A2, and K20A3-equipped cars, modified and unmodified, going strong during track season.
It's not that slow! :p with how light the car is, it's still pretty peppy! Faster than most of the same-price competition, like the corolla

I recently had the option to hand off the financing to someone and buy a new EX-T or touring, but after test driving the touring compared to my EX back-to-back, I didn't notice much of a difference in terms of ride enjoyment between the two. Real-world applications for most of what I do for spirited drives and city commuting, there really wasn't a huge difference. There was a bigger difference if I was flooring the turbo from a stop, but that made fuel consumption skyrocket (seemed higher than flooring the 2.0L). I missed the 2.0L engine sound too, such a great sounding engine

But yeah back to the original topic, the 2.0l shouldn't have any fuel dilution issues as it's port injected, not direct injected. Shouldn't be an issue making short trips with it at all, I've only ever heard of fuel dillution in direct injected engines

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to have analysis done on the oil for wear metals; but I'd wear levels aren't abnormal then there's not a big deal to worry about. I'd always opt for the extended warranty on a vehicle with a new engine configuration though, Honda traditionally makes excellent N/A engines and their turbo mainstream ones are newer. Doesn't mean they won't be just as reliable though

Honda Civic 10th gen Fuel/Oil Dilution Issue Overblown ? 20181110_214611
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Fyi as someone whos driven both the k20 and the l15 engines, the 2.0L isn't that far behind a stock/untuned 1.5t. I've compared gas usages and they're pretty much the same.
I have K24Z1 (2.4L) in my 2009 CRV and no complaints about power. From a stop it will easily spring ahead of my stock civicx 1.5T in the first second. And with VTEC it still has good passing power at freeway speeds.
The CRV has other bonuses beyond trying to be fast and besides going forward and backward left and right. It can easily carry two kayaks on top or bikes on top or inside. It is also tougher off road and harder to damage in fender benders. The civic is by far not that practical, so it has to have some other features for me to buy it. Like at least the gas mileage, which is not even comparable to my 2009 CRV.

PaulME

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe, 2017 CRV, 2002 Mercedes E320 wagon, 2001 E320 Wagon, 2002 E320 sedan, 1986 944T, 1972 land Rover
Country flag
Always amusing to see comments such as the ones doubting temp increase in a turbo after shutdown. Yes it’s a function of where you take the reading. The bearings are key as as the turbo si spinning at 100k, a turbo under full load will glow red - yes it really will. This has been known for years and water cooling has also been known for years! My 86 944T has water cooling of the turbo for just this reason, it was an innovation back then and would have astounded me if it was not general use now.

Paul

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
the civic is by far not that practical, so it has to have some other features for me to buy it. Like at least the gas mileage, which is not even comparable to my 2009 CRV.
That's part of what I'm saying though, is that regardless of engine choice you'll get great gas mileage and decent performance. The real perks of the civic come from its value proposition, cause it does all things decently and some things greatly while also being an "entry level" car segment compared to the initial cost of an SUV or a truck. I mean yeah your CRV is more practical but it's also an SUV, ya know? Though I know you're talking about your own personal use case so keep that in mind

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The CRV has other bonuses beyond trying to be fast and besides going forward and backward left and right. It can easily carry two kayaks on top or bikes on top or inside. It is also tougher off road and harder to damage in fender benders. The civic is by far not that practical, so it has to have some other features for me to buy it. Like at least the gas mileage, which is not even comparable to my 2009 CRV.
Practicality is in the eye of the beholder I guess. For me, the Civic sedan is very practical. It's got decent power, gets very good mileage, is comfortable, handles well, and has plenty of room for my grocery getting needs. I haven't had the need to fit two kayaks yet, though.;)

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Really? Accord 2.0T is not DI? That's wild, weird stuff! I did not know that.
In any case, I hope you got rid of your "problem".

"The 2018 Accord 2.0T's VTEC Turbo® direct-injected DOHC inline-4 engine develops 252 peak horsepower (SAE net) and 273 lb.-ft. of torque (SAE net). The Accord 2.0T is available in Sport, EX-L, EX-L Navi and Touring trims, and in its most efficient guise (EX-L and EX-L Navi) earns EPA fuel economy ratings of up to 23/34/27 mpg (city/highway/combined)."
Bruh...the morons are at it again!! Omg they make things up and think they can get away with it! I'm sure my turbo is cylinder injected, not direct injected.

dougb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic touring
Country flag
I had a 2017 Civic touring. I had the oil analyzed 3 times. Each report showed at or above 5 percent. Since Honda hasn't even mentioned a fix for the Civic I just traded for an 18 Accord Touring.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I had a 2017 Civic touring. I had the oil analyzed 3 times. Each report showed at or above 5 percent. Since Honda hasn't even mentioned a fix for the Civic I just traded for an 18 Accord Touring.
Honda has implemented a fix for the Civic. Some people have already had it done. My dealership has already notified me.
Whether or not it actually corrects the issue is yet to be seen.

The 1.5 in the Accord is the exact same engine with the " Fix " applied most likely before being sold.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Honda has implemented a fix for the Civic. Some people have already had it done. My dealership has already notified me.
Whether or not it actually corrects the issue is yet to be seen.
I have a 2018 SI; hence the 1.5T engine.
How can I tell if the fix was applied to my car? Is there a service bulletin or service number for this fix?

dougb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic touring
Country flag
Even after showing service manager the oil analysis he said there is no problem.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Probably because he was looking at your viscosity reading, which is the primary concern. Oil dilution isn't indicative of a problem unless wear metals indicate otherwise.

I'd suggest posting your results in the UOA thread.

Last edited: