n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Interesting... So, I started my regular "commute" over the summer that I had taken all last summer with my 2018 Civic Hatchback EX, no Honda Sensing/etc.

In the 2018 I would (most of the time) get betwen 44 and 45MPG on this 80-ish mile trip mostly two-lane 55MPH with many 35MPH towns along the route.

In the 2019 I was using the Honda Sensing Adaptive Cruise Control with Low Speed Follow to handle the variations to adjust to the other drivers' speeds/etc. But fuel economy was only about 37MPH.

I was really starting to think that perhaps something in the 2019 was just so different that the mileage was off. But this last trip I managed the speed myself and was back up around 44-45MPG for this last trip both ways.

I should have figured that, becuase with ACC-LSF you can feel it braking/accelerating in a way that, I wouldn't do when I would manually handle the adjustments. Guess it just goes to show, tech can't do it all better than you can. LoL

Curious what others have found, hope this helps someone. :)
Sponsored

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Completely agree. I only use it because lazy.

I don't regret getting the Honda Sensing and aides pack on my EX sedan but man, whoever wrote the throttle and braking algorithm needs to dogfood his or her work a LOT more than it seems. There is too much inconsistency with how it accelerates each time and same for braking. In slow speeds, it should be smart enough to use engine creep and not use the throttle. It should also be programmed to be able to coast. There is no excuse for not knowing the orientation of the vehicle to calculate the average friction deceleration expected or the fact that such a thing can be calculated on the fly with the ABS sensors.

The one other thing that I think is a fail in the GenX Sensing installation is the location of the RADAR and the fact that the camera system in the windshield is not stereo or in color. With these aspects working against the rest of the system, I think this is why it behaves so erratically.

So all in all, erratic driving is and always has been the biggest impact on fuel economy. Letting an erratic computer drive just guarantees a consistently erratic experience and CONsistently worse fuel economy.