SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I leased a 2016 LX sedan at the beginning of 2016 and put 61,000 miles on it. In the winter of 2018-2019 my fuel door lock froze in in the locked position. It was only 19 degrees F outside. When it warmed up it started working again.

I traded that car in for a used 2017 Si this year. A couple months ago the fuel door mechanism remained in the locked position permanently.

I’ve been prying my fuel door open at the pump with my fingers for the last month and a half while waiting for an appointment at my dealer. Seems like a common issue? Looks pretty sketchy when you have to force your fuel door open at a crowded gas station.

Actuator had to be ordered and should be fixed tomorrow. In the meantime i got a 19 accord sport 1.5T CVT loaner. Wasn’t impressed with it at first but once I started messing with the different modes, it is surprising decent.

Other posts i’ve seen reported loud noises from the actuator before it went bad. Mine was just a complete surprise and just wouldn’t open at the pump one day.
Sponsored

bFarish87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I just had to replace the actuator in my car because it was making a nasty grinding sound. The part was $40 shipped and took about 10 minutes to install. The release in the trunk is on the left side and is green.

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I just had to replace the actuator in my car because it was making a nasty grinding sound. The part was $40 shipped and took about 10 minutes to install. The release in the trunk is on the left side and is green.
Yeah you’re right, its a little loop behind the trunk lining. Oh well, prying it open didn’t hurt anything.
Dealership replaced mine free under warranty.

Last edited:

kimura_aura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX
Country flag
I have been searching the internet far and wide for a guide to this but have only found one video of a guy who has terrible camera work and explains nothing in detail. Can someone please give me a rundown/link me to a install guide of how to install this?

*edit - ended up having a local shop install it for $100. Would still love to know how to do it so if this ever happens again I can save the money... Tried prying the plastic out of the car but was afraid to break something.

Last edited:

RobSamRei87

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I leased a 2016 LX sedan at the beginning of 2016 and put 61,000 miles on it. In the winter of 2018-2019 my fuel door lock froze in in the locked position. It was only 19 degrees F outside. When it warmed up it started working again.

I traded that car in for a used 2017 Si this year. A couple months ago the fuel door mechanism remained in the locked position permanently.

I’ve been prying my fuel door open at the pump with my fingers for the last month and a half while waiting for an appointment at my dealer. Seems like a common issue? Looks pretty sketchy when you have to force your fuel door open at a crowded gas station.

Actuator had to be ordered and should be fixed tomorrow. In the meantime i got a 19 accord sport 1.5T CVT loaner. Wasn’t impressed with it at first but once I started messing with the different modes, it is surprising decent.

Other posts i’ve seen reported loud noises from the actuator before it went bad. Mine was just a complete surprise and just wouldn’t open at the pump one day.
i have the same issue with my 2019 Civic EX-T. It’s at the dealer now. The fuel door is locked closed and won’t open. For the next few weeks temps won’t be above freezing in Buffalo NY, so I can wait for it to thaw out and work again. The fuel door is so tight I can’t even get my fingers in there to pry it open. The actuator is stuck in the locked position. The release in the trunk doesn’t work either. The release pulls on the mechanism that is stuck locked and doesn’t do anything. The actuator has to be replaced. I do hear power going to the actuator. But whateverpieces actually moved to lock and unlock failed. I guess it’s not a huge deal, but I am out of a car Thursday-next Wednesday because of it and it had to be towed because I didn’t have enough gas to go home after work let alone the dealership.
Sponsored