First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are multiple oil analysis floating around on here showing that the fuel dilution is not causing additional wear or oil breakdown. The Honda oil is "adequate", but after seeing the analysis from the Honda oil, I would never run my car to the 0% on the Maintenance Minder.

I'm running AMSOIL SS 0w20. My last report on the AMSOIL was much better than Honda oil. The viscosity barely changed after 10,000 miles, where the Honda sheered down to about a 0w12. The Honda oil contained no elevated wear metals, so it's doing it's job still.

My bottom line: If you're going to keep the car for a long time, put a top quality oil in and don't run it past 10,000 miles between changes.
Sponsored

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
we have to change oil at 5000km following local honda manteinance schedule, so this oil is not going to do any damage to the engine for sure, but my wallet...:confused:

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
we have to change oil at 5000km following local honda manteinance schedule, so this oil is not going to do any damage to the engine for sure, but my wallet...:confused:
Ya, definitely don't run AMSOIL (or any other premium oil) at that interval.

I'm not sure how China is different from the US in regards to oil. You guys could have different standards than we do. It seems most suggested intervals are now closer to 10,000 miles (16,000km)

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I'm not sure how China is different from the US in regards to oil. You guys could have different standards than we do. It seems most suggested intervals are now closer to 10,000 miles (16,000km)
After doing some talking to people who would know, i.e. not Amsoil reps, Ive changed my thoughts on this. If you are running your car hard or in hot areas, I wouldnt go 10k even on the Amsoil. Heat is going to kill 0-20, its so thin already itll just make it watery at 10k especially with the dilution being seen

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Just marketing choices in my opinion. In Italy service interval is 20000km, 4 times longer with similar conditions. Rome traffic is not better than an average chinese city, i know well both situations.
Oil Honda 0w20 in a green bottle, should be the same.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After doing some talking to people who would know, i.e. not Amsoil reps, Ive changed my thoughts on this. If you are running your car hard or in hot areas, I wouldnt go 10k even on the Amsoil. Heat is going to kill 0-20, its so thin already itll just make it watery at 10k especially with the dilution being seen
I'm not basing my numbers on anything besides my own personal oil analysis findings. 10k with my driving habits and environment yielded beyond safe results at 10k.

YMMV of course, but I don't think 10k on AMSOIL even with spirited driving is an issue. I think @NorthernEX-T did his AMSOIL at 6k and it came back great. He's said multiple times he drives his car hard.

I'm not accusing anybody of this, just a matter-of-fact statement: People are very hesitant to change. The old "change your oil every 3,000 miles" is branded into peoples minds and most can't let go of that. Oil is much different these days, especially full synthetics. There is so much oil information that people just recite because they've heard it a lot that isn't true (or is no longer relevant).

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not basing my numbers on anything besides my own personal oil analysis findings. 10k with my driving habits and environment yielded beyond safe results at 10k.

YMMV of course, but I don't think 10k on AMSOIL even with spirited driving is an issue. I think @NorthernEX-T did his AMSOIL at 6k and it came back great. He's said multiple times he drives his car hard.

I'm not accusing anybody of this, just a matter-of-fact statement: People are very hesitant to change. The old "change your oil every 3,000 miles" is branded into peoples minds and most can't let go of that. Oil is much different these days, especially full synthetics. There is so much oil information that people just recite because they've heard it a lot that isn't true (or is no longer relevant).
I know, there are so many dumb arguments about oil. Ive seen the results. 0-20 is already a thin oil. these guys going drag racing all the time with this dilution and the heat is just asking for it. Im not telling anyone to switch or that one is better than the other. But ask these tuners, not the oil salesmen, who have been beating on their cars for r&d what their oil looks like after dyno runs and street testing. Sure the average guy isnt going to notice it as much. but weekend drag racers and autocross/track racers will. Honda racing is running 5/40 in these cars that are being used at the track.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
What interval would you suggest to change your oil if running the Honda 0-20

I know, there are so many dumb arguments about oil. Ive seen the results. 0-20 is already a thin oil. these guys going drag racing all the time with this dilution and the heat is just asking for it. Im not telling anyone to switch or that one is better than the other. But ask these tuners, not the oil salesmen, who have been beating on their cars for r&d what their oil looks like after dyno runs and street testing. Sure the average guy isnt going to notice it as much. but weekend drag racers and autocross/track racers will. Honda racing is running 5/40 in these cars that are being used at the track.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What interval would you suggest to change your oil if running the Honda 0-20
Im not a pro so I dont really have a suggestion but Im not going over 5k on penz ultra plat full synthetic.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
When changing the oil, do you need to replace the washer for the drain bolt ? Some videos I see just take the bolt out and put it back. Nothing about replacing the washer.

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
When changing the oil, do you need to replace the washer for the drain bolt ? Some videos I see just take the bolt out and put it back. Nothing about replacing the washer.
Technically yes, you’re supposed to change it everytime, if you ask Honda. Now I’ve reused them a few times for years and years with no issue. They’re called a crush washer because when you tighten them up they crush a bit to make a seal. As you can imagine they will eventually get to a point where they’re usesless and get thin as they’re made of soft metal, aluminum I think. I usually change it every couple of oil changes, but I’ve heard of people using them a lot more than that with out issue. If you’re worried about it, just change it everytime, they’re like 60 cents at my dealer.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Yup. Like he said, technically you are suppose to change it every time the bolt is loosened. You can get by without changing them and I have reused it a few times but for like 30 cents a pop, I see no reason not to.
When I bought my filters online, I just ordered a few stacks of washers at the same time.

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
Yup. Like he said, technically you are suppose to change it every time the bolt is loosened. You can get by without changing them and I have reused it a few times but for like 30 cents a pop, I see no reason not to.
When I bought my filters online, I just ordered a few stacks of washers at the same time.
Totally. I actually have a bag of 10, when I bought some A01 filters online they sent me a whole bunch.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah... I bought a bag of 50 off Amazon for $5-10 *years* ago and have barely put a dent in them.