mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Does Honda recommend fuel injector cleaners?

My SI is still very new but how about 2-3 years down the road? I still have a few Techron Concentrate Plus ( fuel system cleaner) from my previous car.
Sponsored

ice raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 AGB Civic Si
Country flag
My research i've done and from what ive seen. Techron would be for someone that doesnt regularly use it and starts to get some nastey build up. Otherwise im going to use the redline fuel injector due to the preventative properties and the cleaning is at the same par as techron.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I recall when direct injection engines were getting popular a few years ago, I read an article that these cleaners would not work with DI engines. I cannot remember the details, there is something to do with the engine design.

ice raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 AGB Civic Si
Country flag
Techron always has worked and still does. Still use techron on audi's direct injection engines and audi reps say that it works well. I believe them. Im going to be running the redline fuel additive in my SI and see how it goes. The cleaning and protective properties on it look very good and is rated well.

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I recall when direct injection engines were getting popular a few years ago, I read an article that these cleaners would not work with DI engines. I cannot remember the details, there is something to do with the engine design.
You may be referring to the cleaners not cleaning the intake valves as DI engines spray directly into the cylinders and not over the intake valves.

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have found that SeaFoam is the only additive that truly works. Have I tried every product out there? No...but I have tried plenty. A lot of personal car friends of mine concur. I use it in my power equipment too. I had an old BMW Z3 with cold start stumbling. After 2 tank fulls with SeaFoam it went away. I have an ATV and dirt bike that sits all winter. Before using SeaFoam, I always had carb problems from the crappy gas sitting around. After using SeaFoam, no problems. My old Mitsu Montero with 116k miles likes it too. No, I am not paid by SeaFoam! I have had great results with it, that is all.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
My research i've done and from what ive seen. Techron would be for someone that doesnt regularly use it and starts to get some nastey build up. Otherwise im going to use the redline fuel injector due to the preventative properties and the cleaning is at the same par as techron.
that's a good one. Pretty much anything with polyetheramine (PEA),the active stuff in Techron ,will work. Gumout Regane is cheaper though and has a higher concentration of PEA.

From this thread
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1865221

Bob is The Oil Guy said:
Chevron Techron Concentrate (32% PEA, based on an older published MSDS spec sheet--may be different now; $8 for 12oz. bottle) has been the leading fuel system cleaner since its development sometime in the 1970’s (it's also a touted leading detergent in gas, albeit in MUCH lower concentrations than the stand-alone concentrate formulation). The main active cleaning ingredient is PEA. Other known fuel system products containing PEA include the following:

* Gumout Regane (30-40% PEA content based on published MSDS data; about $5 for 12oz. bottle)
* Redline SI-1 (30-50% PEA based on MSDS data; about $9 for 15oz. bottle)
* Amsoil Performance Improver (28-37% PEA based on MSDS data; $10 for 12oz. bottle)
it's from 2010 though, as a caveat.

This posting from Gumout themselves suggests also REGANE and ALL IN ONE may have higher concentration than Techron

https://bobistheoilguy.com/gumout-q/

Chevron doesn’t share their formulation information but independent testing that we conducted does confirm presence of PEA in their fuel system cleaners (FSCs). The PEA levels in our formulations are proprietary information as well, but a good way to compare is to look at how many gallons each product treats. All in One 10 oz bottle treats 35 gallons which is supported by industry recognized ASTM testing; Techron FSC 20 oz treats 20 gallons, their 16 oz treats 16 gallons.

Chevron doesn’t publically state how they determine their treat rates, but one would assume they have conducted legitimate testing.
In addition All-in-One has a friction modifier to reduce internal engine friction for better fuel economy. This is an advantage that Techron does not have.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think running an occasional fuel system treatment won't hurt anything. Say every 15-30K. If anything, it will help ensure the injector spray pattern remains consistent.

You'll need to step up to a GDI cleaner like CRC or Seafoam to target the intake valves and runners. Maybe every 40-60K depending on how quickly these motors accumulate deposits. It's a sensitive process but worked pretty well on my last turbo DI platform.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
You may be referring to the cleaners not cleaning the intake valves as DI engines spray directly into the cylinders and not over the intake valves.
Yes. Exactly what I read.
If Techron Conc. plus can no longer clean the fuel system of our DI engines, I will have to give them away.

Last edited:

ChinStrap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
I have found that SeaFoam is the only additive that truly works. Have I tried every product out there? No...but I have tried plenty. A lot of personal car friends of mine concur. I use it in my power equipment too. I had an old BMW Z3 with cold start stumbling. After 2 tank fulls with SeaFoam it went away. I have an ATV and dirt bike that sits all winter. Before using SeaFoam, I always had carb problems from the crappy gas sitting around. After using SeaFoam, no problems. My old Mitsu Montero with 116k miles likes it too. No, I am not paid by SeaFoam! I have had great results with it, that is all.
Another SeaFoam user here.

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
To touch on this subject.

Currently running on ktuner/ dual map. When first installing the map and following my knock count I noticed a high amount of knock .65+

The next time I filled up I slipped in 91 + 2 gallons of 100 octane fuel. Adding a higher octane fuel to the car seems to keep the knock consistance through the gear range.

Mogadee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Mazdaspeed 3, '17 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
To touch on this subject.

Currently running on ktuner/ dual map. When first installing the map and following my knock count I noticed a high amount of knock .65+

The next time I filled up I slipped in 91 + 2 gallons of 100 octane fuel. Adding a higher octane fuel to the car seems to keep the knock consistance through the gear range.
That is the purpose of octane rating. Octane rating is the fuel's ability to resist knock. The higher the octane (the more the fuel can be compressed), the more resistance to knock (predetonation - fuel detonation during the compression and before the spark event) it has.

Most modern cars can handle fuel of varying octane ratings available at the pump (87-94). The ECU will adjust the timings to compensate. However, if you are wanting to mash the pedal or get spirited, use the premium or 91-94 octane fuels as they will perform the best, without having to source specialty fuels (race or e85).

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Use this version for Direct Injection:

seafoam_spray_cleaner_lube_14oz_527576.jpg
I've used this before on a old Ford 4.2... and those engines had a track record for deposits. Based on our DI, I don't see any other product like this that would work to decarbonize. Any of the 'add to the tank' additives wouldn't remove any deposits at the valves.

I will say, while the 4.2 did blow smoke during the cleaning process there was no noticable improvement in the performance of the engine. It was at ~190k miles and tended to have a lot of detonation, regardless of octane rating used.
Sponsored