First Name
Lavelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Honest Opinions Needed -

If the Euro version gets 316Hp, and its due mainly to the fact that those cars have 98 Octane there, then could we possibly get the same result by using an Octane Booster, those sold in auto parts stores? I'm concerned about engine damage, especially in light of the fact my CTR is new, and only has about 1200 miles on it. But the temptation to try it remains. But some of those Octane Boosters promise boosts of up to 106 octane.
Sponsored

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
If the ECU could compensate up the octane difference in stock form, then we gain some, however I rather just pay some gallons of a non leaded 100 octane ($8) than the octane booster.

Note:
A more permanent fix, without being so invasive would be just an intake.

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Differences in octane measurement. Euro 98 is comparable to US 93 oct.

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Octane boosters are snake oil. They don't, and can't possibly make enough difference to do anything for your car, or even set off a CEL. Save your money.

If you really need better octane rating, get race gas.

OP
OP
cleosdad

cleosdad

First Name
Lavelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Octane boosters are snake oil. They don't, and can't possibly make enough difference to do anything for your car, or even set off a CEL. Save your money.

If you really need better octane rating, get race gas.
Good advice. But being in the boonies of Tallahassee Florida has it's challenges

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Reactions: Myx

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
octanium/torco are the "best" you can get,BUT i wouldn't bet on those at long term,on a di motor the intake valve will get carbon/yellowish deposit faster

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
Honest Opinions Needed -

If the Euro version gets 316Hp, and its due mainly to the fact that those cars have 98 Octane there, then could we possibly get the same result by using an Octane Booster, those sold in auto parts stores? I'm concerned about engine damage, especially in light of the fact my CTR is new, and only has about 1200 miles on it. But the temptation to try it remains. But some of those Octane Boosters promise boosts of up to 106 octane.
actually most other countries use a RON rating for octane 98 RON is basically 93 here.
octane boosters do not raise the octane rating much typically the off the shelf ones only raises it one point if you are lucky.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Even if an octane booster worked (it won't without adjusting A/FR with a tune), you won't even feel the extra 10 hp. The Euro CTRs aren't any faster than ours.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Old thread but I've been reading through a lot of info on octane boosters. Saw several videos with people testing octane boosters with good results. Also, looked at THIS F150 thread where different octane boosters were tested vs 93 octane with good results.

I do not have any flex fuel in my area but I did test out HP100 race fuel on two different occasions on an 'empty' gas tank at the track. One time I added 2 gallons of HP100 race fuel and the 2nd time I added 3 gallons of HP100 race fuel. I had positive results as my trap speeds went up from 103-104mph to 105-106mph.

With that being said, I will be testing Boostane when the track opens up to see how it affects my 1/4 mile results. I can't wait. I have no expectations. I just like testing things.

Unfortunately I have the 'lowly' base hatchback with a CVT transmission. I love CVTs though (which means it's personally a fortunate. :) ). This thread was the only one I saw on octane boosters so that's the reason why I'm posting here. Mods are in my sig.
Sponsored