FS: 2019 Civic Type R Crystal Black 100 miles

1. Harlaquin

Harlaquin Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
    Well that and most people on the forum all ready have the car that's why they on the forum.

2. OP
    RazorBc

RazorBc Member

First Name:
    Razor
    Car(s):
    2019 Type R, 2017 Z06, 1980 Jeep CJ7
    When I am interested in a car the first thing I do is go to the forum and check the word from the users. I've sold many cars from the forums.

3. slowride

slowride Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 PMM Type-R
  4. OP
    RazorBc

RazorBc Member

First Name:
    Razor
    Car(s):
    There are 2 ways to do it: Hire a broker, I sold my ZR1 to a gentleman in Sacramento last year and he chose this route. Cost him $325 to have the paperwork completed. Or bring the car across your self and fill the forms out yourself. If you have all the correct stickers on the car that were on it during manufacture it is simple.

5. Ducky

Ducky juiceboxes

software goon
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Car(s):
    '07 LBP S2000, '19 CW CTR
    Before I bought my CTR, I briefly looked into buying a CDM 6MT Sport Touring (since that's a thing that only now exists in USDM for MY20) and everything I read on Honda of America's site is that my warranty would be through Honda of Canada, talk to them. Honda of Canada has a section on their website specifically addressing this and the short of it is they will honor the warranty if:

1. You are a Canadian citizen visiting the US
    2. You are a Canadian citizen who bought the car in Canada, kept it there for some time and THEN moved to the US

Here's the relevant info for this car:

That's the opposite scenario that we're talking about, but I'd imagine it still applies all the same.

tl;dr It's perfectly legal to bring the car into the US and shouldn't be difficult, but the warranty is through Honda of Canada who won't honor it in the US. Beware for any Americans buying this car.

6. OP
    RazorBc

RazorBc Member

First Name:
    Razor
    Car(s):
    I've never sold a Honda into American however the 2 GM's cars I did sell transfer the warranty.

7. willskiGT

willskiGT Senior Member

Corp Strat/Bus Dev
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic Type R #26262
    Canadian sold Hondas will not have a valid warranty if purchased by a US buyer.

If you were selling this car at the CAD equivalent price instead of trying to make more, ($41,500 CAD = $31,223 USD currently), you might get a taker.

But here's what a US buyer will end up paying if they were to buy this car at the current USD asking price:

Purchase price (inclusive of shipping): $36,000
    2.5% import duty: $900
    Broker Fee: ~$350
    Transaction Cost: $180-$1000 (depends on the method of payment used)

Total: $37,430 to $38,250

Not to mention that you or the buyer will still have to contact Honda for a letter of conformity (and modify the car if they require it), and the buyer has no warranty coverage.

You can easily find a car already in the US for cheaper than that, and it will have a warranty.

8. OP
    RazorBc

RazorBc Member

First Name:
    Razor
    Car(s):

Let me guess, you are reading from the internet and have never made a cross border transaction!

$31223 does not equal $41500 when you convert to Canadian, you must not know how currency conversion works!

I am including shipping and brokerage in my offer, which on average is $2500

Many people buy a car just for track use and a warranty is not needed. This price is a starting point and i am sure you cannot find many cheaper with 100 miles on it! Anyone that pays $180 to $1000 transaction costs is silly!

I work in the USA and have a residence, I've sold many times and have always had happy transactions by every buyer.

9. willskiGT

willskiGT Senior Member

Corp Strat/Bus Dev
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic Type R #26262
    #24 willskiGT, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Actually, I've done about a half dozen car purchases in Canada as a US citizen! :)

I've bought and imported cars from Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan, and even Alberta, each time handling the entire transaction and driving them back myself. You can get great deals because the CAD is so weak (right around 0.75 USD per CAD). It was even better back in early 2016, when the CAD was around 0.67. I bought a fantastic 997 Carrera S in the middle of winter for only $32k US, and was able to flip it for a $12k profit just 4 months later!

Without transaction fees / currency spread, 41,500 CAD is exactly (or rather was when I posted) $31,223 USD. Exchange rate has moved a bit, but still close to that, as you can see below (as of this post, $41,500 CAD is $31,237 USD):

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=41500+CAD+to+USD

You must not know how currency conversion works!

This was not clear in your original post. In that case, remove the $350 broker fee estimate I included in my post.

This was also not made clear in any of your posts. Buyers should know this important fact before buying. There are maybe some buyers who don't care about a warranty, but it is certainly important information.

I paid $36,620 for mine brand new and did not have to deal with a cross border transaction, used car, and no warranty. There are many cars at the old $36,620 MSRP in the US.

Have you actually done a truly cross border transaction? In order to pay a Canadian seller in CAD, you have to convert your currency before wiring it to them. If you use a Forex-based money transfer service when paying a Canadian seller, you'll find that the good ones will only charge a 0.5% spread on the purchase price. If you use a bank, however, they usually charge a 3% spread.

That equates to $180 (from a Forex-based money conversion/transfer service) versus up to $1,000 if you simply walked into a US bank and asked them to send money in CAD.

10. OP
    RazorBc

RazorBc Member

First Name:
    Razor
    Car(s):

I do not think you could find a car with 89 miles on it, window tint, full ppf, interior protection, G_Technic, Limited Edition Watch for 35k I might be wrong but I would be willing to bet on that!

If I sell it to the USA it would be USA funds no conversion necessary.

I have sold and bought probably 12-15 cars in the USA

11. silverblip

silverblip Senior Member

Machinist
    First Name:
    Dan
    Car(s):
    2019 LS Civic Si Sedan
    Do all Type R's come with a watch?

12. OP
    RazorBc

RazorBc Member

First Name:
    Razor
    Car(s):
    No

13. silverblip

silverblip Senior Member

Machinist
    First Name:
    Dan
    Car(s):
    2019 LS Civic Si Sedan
    So, why does yours?

14. OP
    RazorBc

RazorBc Member

First Name:
    Razor
    Car(s):
    I bought one before they were sold out!

They made 200 Black face and 200 Silver face editions best of my knowledge

silverblip thanked this.
  15. willskiGT

willskiGT Senior Member

Corp Strat/Bus Dev
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic Type R #26262
    Good to clear up re: USD or CAD funds.

Your car isn't $35k though? $36k is your listed price + ~$900 in import duty. That's $36,900 and the car has no warranty.