Front Passenger Suspension/Wheel Knocking?

CivicR316

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic type r and a 2013 chevy silverado hd
Country flag
A solution was posted in #22 above back in August. To be more precise, some cars had the passenger side strut top nut (#17 in the image below) improperly torqued in production. The solution was to undo and re-torque the top nut to spec (and NOT higher) while holding the strut in place with an Allen wrench. This typically requires special tools - most mechanics/shops/dealers won't have a suitable tool and will have to make one. Note that this is not a nut that is usually considered when re-torqueing the suspension nuts/bolts.

3077217.png
what is the torque speck??
Sponsored

TYP01R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8R
Country flag
Update on our car:

ISSUE FIXED AFTER 3 MONTHS OF TESTING!

Dealer finally found the issue with our car. Drivers side inner tie-road end was seizing up when hot causing it to knock on bumps when the car was all warmed up. Whole steering rack replaced and is as it should be, Honda-f**king tight!

No other car has had this issue reported to Honda anywhere in the world, so it's a first and happened to be ours... Hope this helps others!

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Update on our car:

Dealer finally found the issue with our car. Drivers side inner tie-road end was seizing up when hot causing it to knock on bumps when the car was all warmed up. Whole steering rack replaced and is as it should be, Honda-f**king tight!

No other car has had this issue reported to Honda anywhere in the world, so it's a first and happened to be ours... Hope this helps others!
Three months? That’s fucking unacceptable. I would’ve known it’s a tie rod end on the rack in 5 minutes. This is a common issue with many cars, standard garden variety diagnosis.

TYP01R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8R
Country flag
Three months? That’s fucking unacceptable. I would’ve known it’s a tie rod end on the rack in 5 minutes. This is a common issue with many cars, standard garden variety diagnosis.
Tell me about it. Car went back to the dealer about 2 weeks after purchase and they denied any noise even though it was clearly audible.

Car kept going back and forth with the dealer and had to get Honda technical people out to inspect and shit. At one point they said it was the caliper knocking and there was no fix. I quickly told them that was a bullshit answer and not accepting it.

Car kept going back, they thought it was the shock and endlink but after changing those, still the same. At the very beginning I even said to them it's either got to be suspension or steering rack related and they clearly did not even check for shit.

Almost took them to court because of the ridiculous back and forth bullshit and they didn't compensate us for anything!! Offered a free first service and I kindly said fuck no lol, you guys aren't touching the car unless necessary.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Tell me about it. Car went back to the dealer about 2 weeks after purchase and they denied any noise even though it was clearly audible.

Car kept going back and forth with the dealer and had to get Honda technical people out to inspect and shit. At one point they said it was the caliper knocking and there was no fix. I quickly told them that was a bullshit answer and not accepting it.

Car kept going back, they thought it was the shock and endlink but after changing those, still the same. At the very beginning I even said to them it's either got to be suspension or steering rack related and they clearly did not even check for shit.

Almost took them to court because of the ridiculous back and forth bullshit and they didn't compensate us for anything!! Offered a free first service and I kindly said fuck no lol, you guys aren't touching the car unless necessary.
Unbelievable man. That’s Honda trying to save themselves $ on a steering rack. They’ll do everything they can to push you away, even Type R owners apparently.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
On a new car with no wear would they be looking at a tie-rod? Any issue I have ever had like that was after excessive wear.

art unique

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Update on our car:

Why did they replace the whole steering rack rather than just the tie rod?

Locksedan

First Name
Lock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civic lx sedan
Country flag
It's the top part of the strut. The nut under the black rubber thing at the very top of the strut under the hood. Mine was too tight from the factory. They loosened it and re-torqued it and its been mint since.
Can you please tell me what they torqued it to thanks

Ludacrish05

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Update on our car:

I’m been having this exact issue for the whole year I’ve owned the car and every time I go to have them test drive they can’t replicate it.

Usually my issue starts at the cold start and when I make a left or a right out of my parking spot, it just starts to pop like a broken axel or something.

Are you having anymore issues? What should I do?! Help!!! Lol

Marfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I’m been having this exact issue for the whole year I’ve owned the car and every time I go to have them test drive they can’t replicate it.

Usually my issue starts at the cold start and when I make a left or a right out of my parking spot, it just starts to pop like a broken axel or something.

Are you having anymore issues? What should I do?! Help!!! Lol
You might be hearing the front limited slip differential. You'll definitely experience it more on a cold day the first time you turn the wheels, there's a bit of friction to the slip part in limited slip until it warms up.

Ludacrish05

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
You might be hearing the front limited slip differential. You'll definitely experience it more on a cold day the first time you turn the wheels, there's a bit of friction to the slip part in limited slip until it warms up.
Yeah it’s at the cold start, I’ll let the car warm up a bit and pull away and it just jerks the steering wheel. Any suggestions on what I could do? I’ve take it to the dealer a million times it feels like and they can never replicate the issue
Sponsored