Front Passenger Suspension/Wheel Knocking?

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Dealer retorqued every front end part on the car today, still popping. Honda engineering is workingon it now, they have ordered a nvh meter to see if they can pin point the issue. The car would not make the noise on the rack in the shop, full load on suspension, but when you drive and turn left sharply and over a bump, pop she goes.
Does misery love company? Mine did the same thing today. Easiest way to replicate it was full lock and reverse, but of course it stopped doing it when I tried to record it on the phone. Definitely a 'pop' noise, sounds like passenger side, a binding somewhere in the steering system - the first time it happenned I felt it in the steering wheel. Is your s/n close to 372? Could be a bad batch of something like tie rod ends; worst case, steering rack.

Also, the only 'new' thing that I did today steering-wise was crank the wheel from lock-to-lock a few times in place as I installed by smoked side markers (what a PITA).
@Zukoh @NorthernEX-T

Does either one of yours sound like what I described and the video i posted here? --》 http://www.civicx.com/threads/clanking-tapping-sound-when-in-reverse-video.14131/
That sounds like a rock is caught between the brake rotor and the splash shield. Find a parking lot and drive in reverse, then drive forwards, etc. The rock should work its way free.
Sponsored

Infinity000

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2004 CR-V
Country flag
Yeah I know someone else in another thread told me his fell out in the parking lot at work so he was driving around with it in also. Just hope it didn't cause any damage.
That was me, and yes that is the exact piece that fell out. I'm glad you were able to find them on yours and snapped a good picture of it. Dealer told me they were missed on the PDI, but that driving around with them in should not cause any harm.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Does misery love company? Mine did the same thing today. Easiest way to replicate it was full lock and reverse, but of course it stopped doing it when I tried to record it on the phone. Definitely a 'pop' noise, sounds like passenger side, a binding somewhere in the steering system - the first time it happenned I felt it in the steering wheel. Is your s/n close to 372? Could be a bad batch of something like tie rod ends; worst case, steering rack.

Also, the only 'new' thing that I did today steering-wise was crank the wheel from lock-to-lock a few times in place as I installed by smoked side markers (what a PITA).

That sounds like a rock is caught between the brake rotor and the splash shield. Find a parking lot and drive in reverse, then drive forwards, etc. The rock should work its way free.
Yes I am within 40 of that s/n, ill be taking it in this week and they are hooking a NVH meter on the car.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Yes I am within 40 of that s/n, ill be taking it in this week and they are hooking a NVH meter on the car.
Just heard about mine. They weren't able to replicate the pop - but they were told to try a "sub-frame tightening procedure." I have no idea what that involves except that "special tools are needed," but I'll update once I get the car back. Unfortunately, my car will be at the dealer for a few days as it looks like a new solenoid wiring harness may be needed.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Just heard about mine. They weren't able to replicate the pop - but they were told to try a "sub-frame tightening procedure." I have no idea what that involves except that "special tools are needed," but I'll update once I get the car back. Unfortunately, my car will be at the dealer for a few days as it looks like a new solenoid wiring harness may be needed.
They did that at my dealer already, then put it on the alignment rack and couldn't replicate the sound. But then as soon as its on the actual ground, it happens. Ill drop mine off tomorrow I hope.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Successful with removing front strut, taking off top mount and re torquing to specs. Car feels Honda tight now. Finally at 8600 kms lol

R-01277

First Name
Gagandeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #01277
Obviously I checked the orange spacers before I even drove my car. Not in there. Something is binding/popping on the passengerside.
i am having the same on my car it started on 16th it was really loud and then it went way but know hear it again when i turn are go up a driveway

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
i am having the same on my car it started on 16th it was really loud and then it went way but know hear it again when i turn are go up a driveway
It's the top part of the strut. The nut under the black rubber thing at the very top of the strut under the hood. Mine was too tight from the factory. They loosened it and re-torqued it and its been mint since.

EricDET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Having the same loud popping on my car. I can actually feel the wheel bind and let go. 155 miles...... Easily repeatable and abrupt. Turning wheel to the left and moving the car at all produces a bind and pop. Hopefully it's that simple.

art unique

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Any updates on this issue? I want to bring mine in to the dealer but don't want the kids that work there taking a joy ride.

EricDET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Any updates on this issue? I want to bring mine in to the dealer but don't want the kids that work there taking a joy ride.
I took mine to the dealer last Friday. They heard and noted the issue but couldn't ascertain the cause. They actually told me it was normal operation since they didn't have any experience with the car. I sent this thread to the service writer and he is going to let me know what the service manager says today.

TYP01R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8R
Country flag
Any further updates on this issue?

Our one has been making some sort of knocking sound from day one on any bumps. Speed bumps, any holes in the road, lane markers etc. It sounds like a solid thump and knock. Service manager heard it damn well on the test drive and the mechanics re-torqued "everything". First time they checked it, it wasn't knocking for a few days, then came back. Took it back another time, same thing, recheck everything, was ok for a few days then came back. Went in again for the 1000km "service" (not much of a service when nothing is being changed..) and to recheck the knocking sound, still there. It's going back AGAIN this week for it and I may demand something to be changed.

What I noticed from other FK8R's is that our one doesn't make the gas/shock compression sound when you go over speed bumps etc (talking about the shocks). I'm definitely noting it to the service guys this time. Is there a possible reason for it not making the compression sounds? Not exactly sure what to call it but I'm sure you know what sound I'm talking about.

Any info would be great! My guess is something shock/strut related or steering rack. They said the LCA was a little loose the first time but the knock is still there so not too sure now..

Cheers!

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
A solution was posted in #22 above back in August. To be more precise, some cars had the passenger side strut top nut (#17 in the image below) improperly torqued in production. The solution was to undo and re-torque the top nut to spec (and NOT higher) while holding the strut in place with an Allen wrench. This typically requires special tools - most mechanics/shops/dealers won't have a suitable tool and will have to make one. Note that this is not a nut that is usually considered when re-torqueing the suspension nuts/bolts.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front Passenger Suspension/Wheel Knocking? 3077217

Last edited:

TYP01R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8R
Country flag
A solution was posted in #22 above back in August. To be more precise, some cars had the passenger side strut top nut (#17 in the image below) improperly torqued in production. The solution was to undo and re-torque the top nut to spec (and NOT higher) while holding the strut in place with an Allen wrench. This typically requires special tools - most mechanics/shops/dealers won't have a suitable tool and will have to make one. Note that this is not a nut that is usually considered when re-torqueing the suspension nuts/bolts.

3077217.png
Yeah I saw this, just wanted to know if any of the other guys had a different part fixed. Will definitey be telling them about the nut on the strut!
Sponsored