First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Civic Type R, 2006 Toyota Corolla S
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So my dealership was kind enough not to drill the bumper for the front license plate mount, despite front license plates being required here in Ohio. I figured since I have the opportunity to keep my front bumper unblemished, I'd explore my alternatives to drilling. My initial Google research has returned some interesting results, but the two easiest solutions I've found are either getting an adhesive vinyl copy of my plate, or using double-sided automotive adhesive like this.

Given the vinyl copy seems to be on shaky ground legally, the adhesive mounting option is currently my first choice. Has anyone tried mounting their plate with that or a similar double-sided adhesive tape? Have you had any issues with it staying on or with any damage to the paint finish when removing the adhesive?
Sponsored

sublimecat

Old guy who likes fast cars!
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Ranger 4wd, 2008 Dodge Caliber SRT, 2012 Miata Grand Touring, 2015 Dodge Hellcat, 2018 Championship White CTR, 2020 Ram 2500 Limited Megacab
Country flag
I’ve lived in Ohio 5 years and never installed a front plate of any of my cars. I’ve been pulled over a few times and not one officer has recognized the front plate was missing or said anything about it if they did. Leave it off.

CrazyIvan

First Name
Jerimey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type R 01 Z06
Country flag
In my area you must have them. I've been pulled over 5 minutes after a friend backed into my car taking the front plate with him. Another time was going 55 down a two lane road had a statie pull a u to pull me over for no front plate. I had dealer tags on that car and had to point it out to him.

It's one of those things they use to pull you over for, and try to catch you for everything else.

I'm running the 3d printed mounts on the R and factory mount on the Z06

OP
OP
spacemanspiff

spacemanspiff

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Civic Type R, 2006 Toyota Corolla S
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, from what I've heard, people tend to get away with it a bit more living closer to the state lines, since we're bordered on all sides by single-plate states. Here in central Ohio, they're a lot less forgiving, hence my concern.

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
It's just plain foolish to give law enforcement an excuse to pull you over. I'm pretty sure any attorney would agree with that. I like to think that 90-95% of LEOs are professionals but it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch. I got pulled over (decades ago) because i had my front plate behind the windshield on the dash for all to see. I bought the car used in another state and it didn't have a front plate bracket (neither did the local dealership). Got pulled over, ticketed and threatened. Things just went downhill from there. Went to court and got the fine cut in half but i could have done without the experience.

i have also been pulled over for burned out rear license plate bulbs. But that cop acted professionally and sent me on my way. You might want to check those on all your vehicles.

The LEOs are fishing for drunks, people with warrants, etc..

maverick

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR
Country flag
Former Ohio resident here - always had front plates on my cars. Bought my Type R in Ohio and they didn't drill the holes into the bumper and I didn't want to do it either, so I actually put my plate on the plastic mount and then have it stuck to the car using command strips like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Command-Pict...1544639243&sr=8-17&keywords=3m+command+strips

Almost a year of driving and it's never fallen off or even close to it. Another advantage is that while cleaning, I can just take the plate off and get to the back.

Side note - my front end is all covered in XPEL so the strips aren't touching the car's paint, but these command strips literally leave no residue so I wouldn't be worried if I didn't have PPF on there.
Sponsored